By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

RE4 or LoU?

RE4 185 29.98%

LoU 331 53.65%

Haven't played both games 66 10.70%

Undecided 34 5.51%

Total:616

I hate everything resident evil, so it might not be fair for me to vote lol. 

Around the Network
AZWification said:
V-r0cK said:
I like RE4 but it was the downfall to the RE series.

The only argument people have against RE4. " It's teh downfall to the series". Nothing about gameplay, music, graphics which by the way, RE4 had the best graphics in 2005, NOTHING.

I can give you more arguments. No more zombies. No more Umbrella Corp or references, except for a brief moment and an extra mode that was not present in the original Gamecube version. Insulting atmosphere for those who are from Spain.

And of course, lack of terror, of tension except in one or two moments. All that was replaced with an admitely better control scheme but more action-oriented gameplay.

Graphics are nice, I suppose. I don't play games for graphics.

The only good thing of Resident evil 4 is that it had some of the best extras I've ever seen. Gave a lot of replay value too. Maybe I went too far with calling it "atrocious", but it is atrocious as a Resident Evil game. As a game itself, it is solid, and good-looking.

curl-6 said:
Resident Evil 4 is the single best video game ever created, so naturally it wins.

one of the best. in my top 3 ever. TLOU is great, but not that good.

AZWification said:

The only argument people have against RE4. " It's teh downfall to the series". Nothing about gameplay, music, graphics which by the way, RE4 had the best graphics in 2005, NOTHING.

I totally agree with what Wright said.

But I still think that "it was the downfall to the RE series" is a pretty valid argument. What would you think if the next Mario Kart featured Mario and his friends on helicopters?

"That is not Mario Kart"

Exactly. RE4 is not Resident Evil aside its title.

The Last of Us lol!

Around the Network
Mikeanheath said:
You know I've always thought The Last of Us took a lot from Resident Evil 4 too. The clickers seem like a combination of the Garradors and the Regenerators from RE4. They took the fun gameplay of a blind enemy needing to use sound to find you; the Garradors you could shoot the bells causing a distraction for them to run at, LoU added the brick/bottle throwing mechanics to make noise. The Regenerators made creepy noises so you knew they were around, which LoU gave the clickers a creepy clicking noise, and they all were a 1 hit kill if they got close to you. LoU has the same type of controls with the slow movement and 180 quick turn, same health bar look, both had sniper missions to protect the girl. One of the best parts to me in TLoU was when you play as Ellie and you're trying to keep the infected out of that little hut, which again is a great RE4 moment where you protect the cabin.

I love the stealth mechanics of TLoU, but I found myself wishing there were more infected moments in the game. After a while choking out everyone especially tons of humans I felt that the shooting scenarios weren't as plentiful. One reason I think RE4 was so good was that the shooting gameplay was so fun and there were so many tense scenarios. I love that in RE4 you could target body parts like shoot a leg and they fall down.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough of TLoU and on the 1st couple playthroughs exploring and going through environments with no enemies is ok, but when you replay the game and you know the loot locations, I find myself wishing there were more enemies and not so many empty areas. TLoU definitely is awesome and the production value is really high, but from a replayability perspective I think RE4 has it beat.

Thank you for the post.  I forgot about the small details/mechanics like 180 turn and health bar.  The cabin and sniper sections similarity is undeniable.  Those are great parts of both games.  Personally I prefer the infected in LoU but the regenerators in re4 are the scariest IMO.

I will be starting my third playthru on survivor+ soon, are there any differences u notice on ng+?

its hard for me to pick a 'winner', but I would say both games are the type you go back an play every couple years.

Wright said:
AZWification said:
V-r0cK said:
I like RE4 but it was the downfall to the RE series.

I can give you more arguments. No more zombies. No more Umbrella Corp or references, except for a brief moment and an extra mode that was not present in the original Gamecube version. Insulting atmosphere for those who are from Spain.

And of course, lack of terror, of tension except in one or two moments. All that was replaced with an admitely better control scheme but more action-oriented gameplay.

Graphics are nice, I suppose. I don't play games for graphics.

The only good thing of Resident evil 4 is that it had some of the best extras I've ever seen. Gave a lot of replay value too. Maybe I went too far with calling it "atrocious", but it is atrocious as a Resident Evil game. As a game itself, it is solid, and good-looking.

Final Fantasy  X was a mediocre FF game , but overall, it was  good. MGS2 was a dissapointing MGS game, but overall it was good. It happens with a lot of games.  For me, RE3 was dissapointing compared to RE1 and RE2  as an overall game, not only as a RE game. It had a badass soundtrack though. I even gave a spot to the music that plays during the credits in my top favorite tracks.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

gamer_povro said:

AZWification said:

I totally agree with what Wright said.

But I still think that "it was the downfall to the RE series" is a pretty valid argument. What would you think if the next Mario Kart featured Mario and his friends on helicopters?

"That is not Mario Kart"

Exactly. RE4 is not Resident Evil aside its title.

I guess MK8 is not a real MK game because it has anti gravity? Something that normally wouldn't fit in a MK game?

AZWification said:

Final Fantasy  X was a mediocre FF game , but overall, it was  good. MGS2 was a dissapointing MGS game, but overall it was good. It happens with a lot of games.  For me, RE3 was dissapointing compared to RE1 and RE2  as an overall game, not only as a RE game. It had a badass soundtrack though. I even gave a spot to the music that plays during the credits in my top favorite tracks.

Ey. We agree with each other for once! (Though I did like MGS2 :(

Wright said:
AZWification said:

Ey. We agree with each other for once! (Though I did like MGS2 :(

I do like MGS2, but not as much as MGS1.  I don't hate it or anything. GameTrailers managed  to put it in their top 10 most dissapointing games of 2000-2009. I don't think it was THAT dissapointing.