By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:
Cyran said:

So we got a winner for most inefficient use of VRAM in a game ever created. I don't even know how it possible they manage to make a game at 1080p be VRAM limited on a 10GB card.

That's the weird thing though. It's not actually Vram limited...

Even at 4k, it's using less than 10GB of Vram. I think this is an artificial performance gimp from Gearbox as they gotta make AMD gpus look better with 16GB of vram since it's an AMD sponsored title. Otherwise it doesn't make sense because the 3090 is very similar to a 3080 with the main difference being the Vram capacity. There will be some games that showcases the 3090s lead sure but not by this amount.

Could the problem not be bandwidth instead of how much VRAM there is? Because here the 3090 has a significant advantage over the 3080.

On the other hand, if the Bandwidth were a problem, then the 3070 shouldn't be so close to the 3080, either...

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Cyran said:

So we got a winner for most inefficient use of VRAM in a game ever created. I don't even know how it possible they manage to make a game at 1080p be VRAM limited on a 10GB card.

Even at 4k, it's using less than 10GB of Vram. I think this is an artificial performance gimp from Gearbox as they gotta make AMD gpus look better with 16GB of vram since it's an AMD sponsored title. Otherwise it doesn't make sense because the 3090 is very similar to a 3080 with the main difference being the Vram capacity. There will be some games that showcases the 3090s lead sure but not by this amount.

I don't recall any recent situation where AMD played dirty like that, and I don't think they asked Gearbox to do it. And if Gearbox has decided to do it by themselves they are more stupid than I thought as it can only harms their sales.

Plus the article doesn't mention foulplay except for a file that has the amd name and relates to shadows, which they fear it could be the ray tracing patch that will come later. What the article says is that the title is poorly optimised on both Navi and Ampere.

Maybe a new driver from Nvidia can fix some of that strange behavior.

I think the author was wrong with it being badly optimized for Navi/Ampere compare to other architectures.  Badly optimize for PC period yes but 3080 and 3090 is the same architecture and there a vast difference between the two.  I think it far more likely that the 2080ti is slightly ahead of 3080 purely base on the extra GB of memory.

I do agree it very unlikely that AMD payed them to make it bad on lower ram GPUs.  If I had to venture a guess it probably a extremely poor console port and something odd with how they coded it for the static 16GB memory on ps5/xbox series X is causing it not to correctly use all the memory available on the card but instead only a certain percent.  3090 even with a small percent available is still plenty the other cards not so much.

Chazore said:
Reviews for GOdfall ain't looking so hot either. Most saying it's trying to be Souls, but fails at it. I feel like I dodged a bullet with it going EGS exclusive.

I think it looks really boring, to be honest. There are too many games that play just like it and it appears not to do anything fresh, or even all that well. People's fascination with the genre never ceases to amaze me.

Chazore said:
Reviews for GOdfall ain't looking so hot either. Most saying it's trying to be Souls, but fails at it. I feel like I dodged a bullet with it going EGS exclusive.

And the PC port is very bad, with problems with the keyboard and mouse and a bad GUI. Certainly not worth it at launch.

Cyran said:
JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Cyran said:

*stat*

I don't recall any recent situation where AMD played dirty like that, and I don't think they asked Gearbox to do it. And if Gearbox has decided to do it by themselves they are more stupid than I thought as it can only harms their sales.

Plus the article doesn't mention foulplay except for a file that has the amd name and relates to shadows, which they fear it could be the ray tracing patch that will come later. What the article says is that the title is poorly optimised on both Navi and Ampere.

Maybe a new driver from Nvidia can fix some of that strange behavior.

I think the author was wrong with it being badly optimized for Navi/Ampere compare to other architectures.  Badly optimize for PC period yes but 3080 and 3090 is the same architecture and there a vast difference between the two.  I think it far more likely that the 2080ti is slightly ahead of 3080 purely base on the extra GB of memory.

I do agree it very unlikely that AMD payed them to make it bad on lower ram GPUs.  If I had to venture a guess it probably a extremely poor console port and something odd with how they coded it for the static 16GB memory on ps5/xbox series X is causing it not to correctly use all the memory available on the card but instead only a certain percent.  3090 even with a small percent available is still plenty the other cards not so much.

You may be right about where the problems with the VRAM come from given that this has turned out to be a very poor PC port. Hopefully they can patch it to fix the issue, if they care enough about it.

Mummelmann said:
Chazore said:

I think it looks really boring, to be honest. There are too many games that play just like it and it appears not to do anything fresh, or even all that well. People's fascination with the genre never ceases to amaze me.

To me it looked fantastic, but the gameplay looked simple and generic. I'm not surprised it has turned out to be a bit of a turd.

It's not as bad as Haze was during the PS3 launch, but I don't think many will remember it in a couple of years.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Yeah, you'd have thought they would have noticed the glaring fact that we already have an untold abundance of Souls clones and even Souls games in the series on the market.

Seems like everyone is spamming what's already popular in the market these days vs not bothering at all to nurture the genres that are floundering or left for dead. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Godfall always seemed to me like a tween's idea of a cool game. I actually made my own little fictional universe around that age about souls inhabiting suits of armor that I would draw characters for. If I'd been given the reins of a studio at that age, maybe I would have made Godfall.

Gaming market is the most diversified. There is something for everyone and yet everything is stale and bit boring. My other big issue is bloat. Finished much fewer games PS4 gen than in PS3 gen. Ofcourse part of that is age and me being much younger. Just too much these days. I can't even imagine playing any of the newer Ass Creed games, let alone finishing one. I finished all or most in PS3 gen.

green_sky said:
Gaming market is the most diversified. There is something for everyone and yet everything is stale and bit boring. My other big issue is bloat. Finished much fewer games PS4 gen than in PS3 gen. Ofcourse part of that is age and me being much younger. Just too much these days. I can't even imagine playing any of the newer Ass Creed games, let alone finishing one. I finished all or most in PS3 gen.

I think the problem is AAA publishers jumping on any new trend, butchering it up and milking it to death until the next trend shows up. They did it with Ego-Shooters, MMORPG, MOBA, Open World, Battle Royale...

Another thing is that they tend to shy away from experimenting with their IPs, so while graphics and gameplay may be improved, all the rest will be the same ol', same ol' and get repetitive and boring after the third iteration or so.

The gaming market is fine as it is. There is an abundance of games for any kind of player in any genre. If there is ever a niche it will be filled quickly. AAA studios aren't the whole gaming industry. They do what's popular and most things that are popular are terribly boring because the average human is terribly boring. Can't fault them for catering to that.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.