By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

There are a lot of PC gamers out there that literally don't know that Radeon exists. Hell, I know people with some PC knowledge who don't know even about Ryzen.

Around the Network

Please, at least tell me that they didn't buy Intel's 11th gen...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Normies don't even know what is an 11th gen, only the difference between Core i3, i5, and i7 when looking at pre-build PC prices.

That's the reality of the vast majority of gaming computers out there (like we discussed a while ago on why most displays don't go above full HD on Steam surveys. Yes those are real game PCs!). Nvidia Reflex? You might as well be talking quantum physics.

True, true.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

While that is mostly true, we can't forget the people that buy a product just by brand name, and Nvidia has managed to make its brand so powerful that people just buy its products "because they're Nvidia", without checking what the GPU they're going to buy offers nor even taking into consideration any other alternatives.

For example, people are really going to buy 4060Tis (when they fall a bit in price) and lower models despite the little to almost no performance gain over previous generations because they're from Nvidia and they're going to assume that they'll be the best. And that's a real shame.

haxxiy said:

There are a lot of PC gamers out there that literally don't know that Radeon exists. Hell, I know people with some PC knowledge who don't know even about Ryzen.

Add to this the fact that most computers sold these days are laptops. Just have a look how many come with an AMD GPU; you'll have a very hard time finding any that have anything else than an NVidia GPU inside if they come with a dGPU.

I just checked on notebooksbiller.de and could find a grand total of 9 laptops with an AMD dGPU, while 17 came with an Intel ARC dGPU. By comparison just the RTX A2000 alone has more models than all the dGPUs of both AMD and Intel combined.

Of course such an overwhelming superiority in numbers mean that much of the general population, which these days mostly buy laptops, have never even encountered a laptop with an AMD dGPU and as a result doesn't have a clue that those exist.

Around the Network

While I get the argument of popularity and mind share, I do think that it glosses over the core of the issue. While yes you do have a lot of casuals buying these products that don't have much of an idea about the differences between Nvidia/AMD/Intel, we have also seen in the past that if AMD comes out with products that beat the competition, their market share does in fact increase.

For example if we look at their CPU market share:

You can clearly see that with Ryzen 5000 and 5800X3D, the products were so good that Intel was losing market share in the consumer space. Only when AMD released Zen 4 and it's subpar performance and value did they once again start losing market share.

So the whole "casuals don't know any better so AMD can't gain market share" simply glosses over the core of the issue. The primary reason why AMD doesn't gain market share is because they aren't offering a reason to buy AMD products over Nvidia/Intel. So why would someone that has been buying Nvidia/Intel in the past go with AMD when they don't give a reason to switch brands?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Some intern from Atlus screwed up and leaked Persona 3 Reloaded (Xbox Series, Windows and Game Pass)

You said it yourself, AMD needs to have an overwhelming product advantage (such as Athlon 64 or Zen 2) just to begin gaining market share, let alone match or dominate it.

There's nothing about these revenue figures that suggest a rational consumer scenario because sheer brand inertia is a powerful force. A company needs to be extremely incompetent (think Microsoft with Internet Explorer) to fall from grace in this industry.

Another Persona game alongside Persona 3 Reloaded coming - Persona 5 Tactics

Yea but I think this is why Intel is starting to gain market share with their GPUs because they are providing something that Nvidia isn't and that is performance per dollar. If all AMD wants to do is be a second Nvidia that's a bit cheaper, then I think most people will just simply go with Nvidia. But what Intel is doing is starting to exploit Nvidia's main weakness which is value. Nvidia doesn't want to give 12GB of vram to their $130 GPUs. They don't want to sell you 3060 performance for $200 but Intel does and I think that's what Radeon has missed.

I think if Radeon chased volume instead of margins, they would have gained market share because Nvidia does not want to give their GPUs for cheap. Instead by chasing margins, they got hammered in reviews and such just like Nvidia did. But the difference is that Nvidia can afford to get hammered in the reviews and still sell their products because their feature set and reputation is superior, Radeon cannot and should have stayed with their "good guy" branding they built up for so long.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850