By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

So the 4070 is about a 3080 for $100 less, or $200 less counting from the 12 GB version. Believe it or not, that would make it top the bang for the buck charts alongside the $500 6800 XTs.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

So the 4070 is about a 3080 for $100 less, or $200 less counting from the 12 GB version. Believe it or not, that would make it top the bang for the buck charts alongside the $500 6800 XTs.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

haxxiy said:

Shame this is what the GPU market is like now. Saying that, you're right this is going to be the best value GPU atm in new releases. Until AMD decides to release the rest of their lower end stack.. which, is a little depressing ngl. With that said, a $100 increase from last gen isn't the worst thing in the world when it comes to pricing. And considering inflation etc, it isn't bad just isn't great. If its about on par with a 3080 / 6800XT that can be had for about the same price rn.

Also MLID talking crap as per usual lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 March 2023

hinch said:

haxxiy said:

Shame this is what the GPU market is like now. Saying that, you're right this is going to be the best value GPU atm in new releases. Until AMD decides to release the rest of their lower end stack.. which, is a little depressing ngl. With that said, a $100 increase from last gen isn't the worst thing in the world when it comes to pricing. And considering inflation etc, it isn't bad just isn't great. If its about on par with a 3080 / 6800XT that can be had for about the same price rn.

It could be like this for a while if next generation is on 5/4nm again. Even if GPU manufacturers snatch some 3nm silicon there is little cost-benefit to be gained (some 30% more expensive wafers for a half-node logic worth of shrinking).

Best-case scenario in terms of value would probably be like a Radeon 8800/8900 retailing for some $900 and matching the 4090 - a whopping ~25% performance per value increase over the 6800/4070 in some two years time...

The Last of Us Part I Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis Review

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/the-last-of-us-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

The fact that you need a 4090 to stay above 60fps at 4k native and there is no Ray Tracing involved is utterly ridiculous. And yes, we do see that inflated vram nonsense coming into play with GPUs like the 3070 and 3080 performing well under where they should but keep in mind that ND has posted on their support site that they are working to reduce those vram issues:

https://feedback.naughtydog.com/hc/en-us/articles/14435572996500

https://feedback.naughtydog.com/hc/en-us/articles/14377887346452-Known-Issues

Suffices to say that this is a horrid port anyway you look at it and the visuals do not justify the requirements and performance imo.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

It could be like this for a while if next generation is on 5/4nm again. Even if GPU manufacturers snatch some 3nm silicon there is little cost-benefit to be gained (some 30% more expensive wafers for a half-node logic worth of shrinking).

Best-case scenario in terms of value would probably be like a Radeon 8800/8900 retailing for some $900 and matching the 4090 - a whopping ~25% performance per value increase over the 6800/4070 in some two years time...

If I had to make a wild guess Nvidia will stay cutting edge with 3nm and AMD as well (kinda have to, to stay competitive). Though going 3nm means even more expensive GPU's unless both camps want to take a smaler cut from sales.

I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and say that the 8900XT(X) will beat the 4090 by at least 10-15%. At least in raster with similar RT performance and be priced $1k again. With the 8800 XT just below 4090 at $750. The reason I say this is because AMD cards don't sell in the upper mid tier (like the 7900XT) without being significantly cheaper than Nvidia equivelants. Not even going to guess RTX 5000 cost since that'll be even more depressing lol. But hey at least performance gains should be crazy good with the 5090.

Another spanner in the works is Intel and Battlemage Q1/Q2 next year. Assuming it hits 4080 performance at $600-700. That would be decent card next year and maybe even a okay higher end card even by the time RTX 5000 and RX 8000 series are out.

Last edited by hinch - on 31 March 2023

The PC-porting scene is growing ridiculous. At this point, they're just tossing out shit to see what sticks, assuming that we're all willing (and able) to fork out 3000$ or more for a rig to get decent performance. It feels like the entire premise of performance has shifted from actual developers and over to the consumer - and I'm not a fan of it. Even regular releases and remakes have such insane system requirements, often without it being evident in the visual fidelity of the games themselves.

Good morning, lads. Here's a surprise for you:

*** NEW CONTEST ***

Win a 4TB QNAP TS-262-4G NAS
https://www.club386.com/win-a-4tb-qnap-ts-262-4g-nas/
or https://gleam.io/G0oYU/win-a-4tb-qnap-ts2624g-nas

For more details, check the official page for the TS-262-4G NAS!. Also note that Club386 also includesa pair of 2TB Seagate IronWolf drives.

This contest is GLOBAL.

Good luck!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

hinch said:

haxxiy said:

If I had to make a wild guess Nvidia will stay cutting edge with 3nm and AMD as well (kinda have to, to stay competitive). Though going 3nm means even more expensive GPU's unless both camps want to take a smaler cut from sales.

I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and say that the 8900XT(X) will beat the 4090 by at least 10-15%. At least in raster with similar RT performance and be priced $1k again. With the 8800 XT just below 4090 at $750. The reason I say this is because AMD cards don't sell in the upper mid tier (like the 7900XT) without being significantly cheaper than Nvidia equivelants. Not even going to guess RTX 5000 cost since that'll be even more depressing lol. But hey at least performance gains should be crazy good with the 5090.

Another spanner in the works is Intel and Battlemage Q1/Q2 next year. Assuming it hits 4080 performance at $600-700. That would be decent card next year and maybe even a okay higher end card even by the time RTX 5000 and RX 8000 series are out.

Yeah, I meant the cut-down version of the next generation Radeon card. That would be a 40% performance improvement over the 7900XT in two years and I don't think that's too much of an ask considering Navi 31 is not a huge die and the 7900XT has memory bottlenecks to be addressed.

As for the nodes, Hopper and Zen 5 are not using a dense library, so their successors will probably go for the shrink, but I'm not sure about the consumer cards. We know Intel for one will remain in 5/4 nm. Maybe Samsung will have the capacity to take GPU orders but their 3 nm node isn't that good (and after 3 years since 5 nm, neither are, to be honest).

haxxiy said:

From some reviews I saw, depending on the game it gets beaten by the 3070Ti as the 4070 can sometimes choke on it's much more limited bandwidth, and ain't much faster overall either. As such, I'd say better buy last gen cards than this.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 31 March 2023