By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
zarx said:
morenoingrato said:
I'm starting to think 2GB of VRAM is going to become obsolete waaaaaaay sooner than what I anticipated.

Anyone who brought a card with less than 3GB of VRAM in the last year and a half was setting themselves up for dissapointment. And anyone buying one today should get 4GB minimum.

Indeed.

Luckily consoles don't have access to the whole 8GB of RAM they have, leaving 1-1.5GB reserved for other system tasks that with time will be optimized and reduced to 0.5-1GB. And then there's the part of that RAM that deals with the CPU info.

And consoles are also able to make more with less RAM as the PS360 have proven.

This gen, it looks like GPU power won't be such a big problem, but VRAM will until cards with at least 8GB start appearing (and to be honest, that could be as soon as next year with AMD's 390X).

Where did you get 1.5GB from? PS4 reserves 3.5GB and the XBOne reserves 3GB for the system. Devs have access to 5GB on XBOne and 4.5GB directly managed on PS4, Tho the PS4 also has 1GB of system managed memory dedicated to games tho I am not sure how that actually works.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Indeed.

Luckily consoles don't have access to the whole 8GB of RAM they have, leaving 1-1.5GB reserved for other system tasks that with time will be optimized and reduced to 0.5-1GB. And then there's the part of that RAM that deals with the CPU info.

And consoles are also able to make more with less RAM as the PS360 have proven.

I can see the available RAM for games on PS4 to grow from 5 to 6 GB, but not further to 7 GB (without ditching the video-sharing-stuff).

And these 5 - 6 GB RAM are shared RAM, the part used for graphics stuff will usually be smaller.

A PC with 16 GB RAM and 4GB VRAM should be enough for most (all?) 8th-generation multi-platform-games, if 1920x1080/1200 is enough for you. If you want to go SLI / CF and want to play every game in 2560x1440 or 4K, that's another story.

@zarx and Conina: Wow, I really thought they had more of that RAM available to games.

le me thinking *I should start looking this kind of data before saying anything*, nods

May this have something to do with consoles recording the last minutes of gameplay? In any case, unless something big happens, that reserved RAM will go down in time. Not even PCs OS use that much RAM anymore!

At least, we can agree that 4GB of VRAM is the min. one should be looking at nowadays, right?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

@zarx and Conina: Wow, I really thought they had more of that RAM available to games.

le me thinking *I should start looking this kind of data before saying anything*, nods

May this have something to do with consoles recording the last minutes of gameplay? In any case, unless something big happens, that reserved RAM will go down in time. Not even PCs OS use that much RAM anymore!

At least, we can agree that 4GB of VRAM is the min. one should be looking at nowadays, right?

Well they ran into issues like not being able to do cross game chat on the PS3 last gen so I think they wanted a buffer to future proof new OS features.

I think if you are buying a card today unless you really are looking at a low end card you really should go for 4GB. Now that Nvidia have stopped skimping 4GB is basically the standard for mid to high end cards anyway. You might be able to get away with 3GB at least for now but better to have that buffer IMO. Especially if you are going to be buying a card that is going to give you more than double the performance of the consoles like modern high end cards do, you will want to be able to crank memory hungry things like textures and shadow resolution to get the most out of it. It's one of the reasons I thought people going with 3GB 780s were a bit silly, at the resolutions and settings that you would be aiming to hit on a card like that 3GB will be a bottleneck in some games going forward.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Does anybody know a good RTS game (must be avaible on disc) with a lot of destruction and base building???

My favorite is CoH 1, and CoH 2 was meh...

Around the Network

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Two New Screenshots Show Incredible In-Game Character Models

NeoGAF’s member ‘Turin Turambar‘ has uncovered two high-resolution images that showcase the incredible attention to detail of The Witcher 3’s characters. In case you’re wondering then yes; those are in-game assets (notice the square-ish fingers for example). Now while these are definitely in-game character models, we’re pretty unsure whether they will be packed with this quality of textures. It’s no secret that CDPR loves sharpening filters, so these could very well be slightly touched up images. Nevertheless, they do look great so go ahead and take a look at them! Continue reading

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 8: Engine Power

TaleWorlds Entertainment has released a new dev blog video for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, via which the team is offering us a glimpse of some of the features of its new engine. TaleWorlds Entertainment has also detailed the reasons why it’s building this new engine. Kudos to our reader ‘Umair Khan’ for bringing this to our attention. Enjoy! Continue reading

Tom Clancy’s The Division – EGX 2014 Developer Session, Features New Gameplay Footage

During this year’s EGX event, Ubisoft held a developer session for Tom Clancy’s The Division. Brand Art Director Rodrigo Cortes hosted the panel and showed some new gameplay sequences and screenshots from the game, as well as some tech demos from the engine that will be powering it. The Division is currently planned for a 2015 release on PC, Xbox One and PS4. Enjoy! Continue reading

Ex-DICE Dev On EA’s Influence On DICE, Battlefield 4’s Launch Problems & Frostbite Mod Tools

In a Reddit IAMA, Tim “stormonster” Kjell, a 26 year old Swedish Game Designer that worked on games like Battlefield, Mirror’s Edge, Frostbite, Medal of Honor and more, answered a lot of questions surrounding the games he’s been involved with. In addition, Tim talked a bit about EA’s influence on DICE, the launch issues that Battlefield 4 faced, and offered an explanation as to why we have not received any mod tools for all Frostbite-powered games. Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Payday 2 Hotline Miami DLC launches on Tuesday; promises animal masks for all

Comments1

The wait is nearly over. On Tuesday, you and up to three friends will be able to take on the result of a collaboration between Overkill and Dennaton Games: Payday 2 Hotline Miami. They’ve finally spilled the beans on exactly what bruising you’ll be getting up to too. You’ll be after a Russian mobster known as The Commissar - a person of interest to your mysterious partner, The Dentist.

One thing’s for sure - there’s going to be a few bloody noses before it’s over.

Read and Comment

Visceral on Battlefield Hardline: "we take shipping a working game pretty seriously"

Comments2

We can all remember the bug-ridden launch of Battlefield 4, which thankfully has gotten a lot better these days. DICE sure does, and it also extends to Visceral - the developers of the upcoming Battlefield Hardline. Speaking to GameRevolution at this year’s Tokyo Game Show, creative director Ian Milham wants to reassure us that this time it will be different.

“What you're basically asking is, 'Is your game going to work?' and the answer is yes, it's gonna work.”

Read and Comment

Reflex movement trailer shows off how to go from A to B in style

Comments2

Movement in FPS has largely taken the back seat in recent times: you hold sprint, have a single jump and be done with it. Well Reflex aims to harken back to the days where being able to bounce around the map skillfully was considered king. Developers Turbo Pixel have included various “trickjumps” to help players move across an arena not only with speed, but while looking good at the same time.

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

@ErwinMoc: I'm sorry, I can't help. RTS games are rare, and the last one I got (besides Age of Empires II HD) was World in Conflict, which is a good game but doesn't have what you want.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Windows 9 will be a free upgrade for Windows 8 adopters, reports suggest

Comments2

It’s telling that the first Steambox to hit the market, the Alienware Alpha, won’t run SteamOS but rather a gently modified version of Windows 8. Linux might be Gabe’s open platform of choice, but there’s no arguing with the numbers: right now, Windows is where the PC games are.

Which makes Windows 9 very much our concern. The nebulous sequel to Microsoft’s divisive tile-based OS will come as a free update to Windows 8 users, we’ve heard.

Read and Comment

Superhot loses a programmer and PR man to higher education

Comment

Superhot is a shooter with a relaxed attitude to the march of time. It began life as the one webgame we were happy not to hide away in an incognito tab, became the fastest Greenlit game on Steam, and ended the summer with two and a half times its Kickstarter target.

But just as this first-person Frozen Synapse starts to look like a dead cert, one seventh of the game’s team has left the building. 

“For the last couple of months I’ve been trying to figure out whether the state of my education makes me happy, whether my skillset makes me happy, and whether working on SUPERHOT makes me happy,” said codewrangler and PR man Luke Spierewka. “The answer was ‘probably not’.”

Read and Comment

FIFA 15's Luis Suarez serving same suspension as IRL counterpart

Comments1

‘Chewy’ Luis Suarez is one of the top players in FIFA 15. A new season buff has left him with an overall rating of 89 - the seventh highest in the whole game. But the escapades of the striker's unruly real-life namesake have left him unavailable for in-game play until late October.

Read and Comment

Here's the Alien: Isolation advert currently upsetting telly-watchers

Comment

Play Alien: Isolation, and you will have a horrible time. That’s the way Sega and Creative Assembly are pitching next week’s blockbuster to the masses sat in front of their TVs. 

Leave behind your sofas, the advert hisses. Leave behind your houses stuffed with cavity wall insulation where there should be salivating xenobeasts. Come and crawl on your hands and knees through an off-white spacetomb instead.

Read and Comment

Blizzard on World of Warcraft PvP as an eSport: "it's kind of hard to watch"

Comment

Two simultaneous broadcasts at this weekend’s DreamHack Stockholm made for odd juxtaposition. The 16 pros in the European Hearthstone Qualifiers sat inches apart in silence, while 50,000 viewers at home screeched and wailed along with every great play.

Just metres away, by contrast, it was the professionals in the European WoW Arena Tournament who screeched and wailed - while punters walked on past in quiet bemusement.

“I can definitely say that WoW 3v3 Arena right now is kind of hard to watch, in the form that it is,” Blizzard eSports head Kim Phan told PCGamesN. “And so there are things that we want to evaluate.”

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition – New Trailer Shows Gameplay Footage

Phoenix Online Studios has released a new trailer for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition in which indie developers and industry veterans describe what they first felt when playing Gabriel Knight and what the series meant to them. This trailer also includes new gameplay footage from the game’s revamped version, so be sure to watch it you die-hard adventure fans. Enjoy! Continue reading

Dying Light – New Gameplay Developer Walkthrough – EGX 2014

During this year’s EGX, Techland and Warner Bros held a developer session for Dying Light. The panel was hosted by the Lead Game Designer, Maciej Binkowski, who shared some interesting new information about this upcoming zombie FPS title. In addition, Binkowski showed some brand new gameplay footage from it, so make sure to watch the video after the jump! Continue reading

X Rebirth Blasting Off To Teladi Outpost In First Expansion

By Alice O'Connor on September 29th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Smugglers and pirates are among the space-things coming to X Rebirth in its first expansion, The Teladi Outpost, developers Egosoft have announced. Almost a year after the space sim’s awful launch, they feel enough fires are out that they can start making new things. Egosoft still spraying foam and sealing off bulkheads, mind, as they plan to release another two big patches by the time the expansion launches in December. In recognition of the year of fire, pre-orders are free to current spacemen.

Read the rest of this entry »

FYI, Master Spy Demo And Trailer Offer Impossible Mission

By Graham Smith on September 29th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

A platform game! What’s this one about – controlling characters across dimensions simultaneously, cloning yourself infinite times to navigate metaphorical gloomspaces, or time travelling to work co-operatively with future and past versions of yourself? Waitaminute– Master Spy is platform game that’s actually about jumping!

And with considerable style, in both its conspiracy-laden pixel art cutscenes and its stealthy, obstacle-dodging platform hopping. The latest trailer represents both in ways that make me excited, and the demo backs it up.

Read the rest of this entry »

@TheVoxelman on twitter