By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

^What's wrong, zarx. Are those traffic cones on your shoulders confusing you? C'mon, give me a hug

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Say Hallow to Hearthstone's new Ranked Play Season card back

Comment

Even if you take the open beta as your starting point, Hearthstone is still a few months off its first birthday. But its top players are already hardened veterans of its meta, and the game’s just now entering its seventh ranked play season.

It’s October, which Blizzard have deemed close enough to competive gaming’s favourite holiday. Hit Rank 20 during this month’s season and you’ll land the new Hallow’s End card back.

“It’s not a trick,” scream the devs as they’re pulled offstage. “It’s a treat!”

Read and Comment

Pathologic reaches Kickstarter target; new stretch goal could fund a "small prequel"

Comment

To call the original Pathologic a flawed gem would be misleading, because that might imply it could be polished up - perhaps with a fresh lick of lighting, at a new resolution.

But Pathologic is a game about broken things. It’s a simulation, but not of anything you’d ever want to experience. A living, breathing world, but one “short of breath”. On a thematic level, it can never be fixed. Nevertheless, more than 5,600 backers have paid to see its plague-ridden town rebuilt, and its intentional flaws amplified.

Read and Comment

Smite picks up another Roman god: green-fingered tree-chap Sylvanus

Comment

Traditionally, welcoming a new god has been a messy business - necessitating a whole load of smashed icons and charred priests. But a glance at our Smite beginner’s guide will reveal that the game subscribes to the room-for-one-more approach to religion - squeezing the latest deity into their existing god-roster with all the rest.

This week’s patch introduces Sylvanus, Keeper of the Wild. Turns out you can do a bit of damage with a thick, thorny branch or two.

Read and Comment

EverQuest Next will let NPC groups roam the map and dynamically determine quests

Comment

Oh, goodness. It’s time to start getting guardedly giddy for an MMO again. Throughout this 30 minute demo, EverQuest designers throw around words like “procedural” and “simulation” as if the ‘90s never ended and RPG design never grew up to lean on scripting like a zimmer frame.

In EverQuest Next, we’re told, players won’t be pointed in the direction of “NPCs with question marks over their heads”. Question marks are banned. Instead, they’ll participate in dynamic geopolitical events. Events defined by AI groups who roam about the game’s map, guiding by nothing but their own motivations.

If you’ve ever sighed at the conservatism of MMO design, consider this essential watching.

Read and Comment

War Thunder update 1.43 okays air-to-ground assaults in new arcade mode

Comment

The great promise of War Thunder has always been that its fire-spitting aircraft and bomb-gobbing tanks would eventually join together in glorious phlegm-filled shooting matches. It’s been months since Ground Forces introduced tracked armour to the game - but it’s taken until this week’s update for tanks and planes to trade fire.

Read and Comment

Kickstart a first-person space strategy game inspired by Star Trek: Flagship

Comments2

We’re a sucker for familiar game ideas viewed from unfamiliar perspectives. Especially the first-person perspective. Speaking freely, we’ll play anything that sounds a bit odd and controls like an FPS.

Enter Flagship - a Kickstarter pitch as much inspired by the Bridge sequences in sci-fi television as space strategy games like Homeworld and Sins of a Solar Empire.

Read and Comment

Australian Steam store quietly removes "Australia Tax" from Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Comments3

If you live in Australia, you surely winced when Steam arbitrarily increased the price of Monolith’s latest romp around Tolkien's fantasy: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. It had over $20 slapped onto the price, bringing it from an acceptable $49.99 to $71.99 AUD. Yuck.

Well I have some good news. Today, the Australian Steam store quietly reverted this unwarranted price hike. The evil has been vanquished. Well, it’s good news for you if you’re yet to buy it that is, as the people who put up with the more hefty price are probably stuck with that decision.

Read and Comment

Borderlands 2 explodes onto Linux and SteamOS; is also 75% off on Steam

Comments1

Borderlands 2 joins its upcoming addition to the family, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, to both Linux and SteamOS. To celebrate, Steam is also knocking a massive 75% off Borderlands 2 and all of its endless DLC packs.

The game of the year edition of the game is selling for a cool £8.74 and $9.99 respectively.

Read and Comment

You might find a ghost on your toilet in Sims 4 this month, and in your pools in November

Comment

If you’re suddenly seeing your deceased Sims return to life in a more ethereal form, don’t panic: it’s just a new free update to The Sims 4 to celebrate that spooky time at the end of the month. Your beloved Sims that have passed away now may roam your household causing all sorts of mischief. Their behaviour is influenced by how they bit the dust; I hope no one died in a house fire.

Next month we’ll also see the return of pools, which is nice. You can expect to see the population of ghosts who died by drowning to sharply increase when that happens.

Read and Comment

EVE Online is altering the laws of physics to allow capital ships to fit through stargates

Comment

Big changes are coming to EVE Online in terms of long-distance travel. Moving between two distant points, particularly with jump drives and jump gates will take significantly longer. Why? Well CCP think the practical dimensions of New Eden have “shrunk considerably”, all to the “detriment of the game”.

Pilots will now accumulate “jump fatigue” every time they make a jump of any kind. This value persists over time and between play sessions. This will limit your ability to make rapid successive jumps in a short amount of time, especially over long distances. Also with this update, capital ships will gain the ability to use stargates, but they’ll still be unable to visit high-sec.

Read and Comment

Discover how to colonize, build and achieve victory in this Civilization: Beyond Earth trailer

Comment

In just over three weeks, the next chapter in Sid Meier’s franchise, Civilization: Beyond Earth, will launch. With the dawn of mankinds bid for survival just around the corner, Firaxis have released a lengthy trailer, detailing how a typical game plays out from start to victory. Your choice of sponsors for your civilization, your chosen affinity to help promote your chosen values and most importantly, all the different ways you can win the game.

If you’re remotely interested in the game, it’s worth a watch.

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Satellite Reign – Spiritual Successor To Syndicate Wars – Pre-Alpha Developer Walkthrough

5 Live Studios has released a new video in which lead designer Chris Conte plays through a short mission in the Pre-Alpha backer-only build of Satellite Reign. Satellite Reign is a real-time, class-based strategy game, set in an open world cyberpunk city, and spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars. Enjoy! Continue reading

Kingdom Come: Deliverance – New Video Update Released

Warhorse Studios has released a new video update for its upcoming realistic RPG, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. In this video, Warhorse talks about implementing new features in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, revealed the release date for the game’s alpha build, and showcased the game’s motion capture system. Enjoy and kudos to ‘Oliver Gilbert’ for spotting it! Continue reading

Dragon Age: Inquisition – Crafting & Customization Trailer

Electronic Arts and Bioware have released a new trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition in which the development team gives us an in-depth look at the crafting and customization systems of the game. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, players will be able to personalize their Inquisition by customizing their followers’ gear and combat tactics. Players will also collect recipes used to create powerful upgrades and potent items, as well as explore the world and gather ingredients to craft one-of-a-kind items. Enjoy! Continue reading

Assassin’s Creed: Unity – New Cutscene Video Shows In-Game Visuals

YouTube’s ‘UbiCentral’ has shared a new in-game cutscene from Assassin’s Creed: Unity, showcasing the visuals that this latest AC will pack. Assassin’s Creed: Unity releases on November 13th and promises to be better than its predecessors. It will be interesting to see whether the PC version will be better optimized this time around, and whether its next-gen nature will give the series the boost it desperately needs. Enjoy! Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network
Conina said:
My GTX 970 arrived today.. a boring Palit with stock clocking for XXX € (shipping + taxes included).

More than double as fast in Dead Rising 3 than my old Gainward 580 Phantom! Now it's finally playable in native 1920x1080.

You've had the card for about ten days so ... how is it?

Is the cooler loud or the card throttles back because of heat? Have you overclocked it, and if so, what did you get from it?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

You've had the card for about ten days so ... how is it?

Is the cooler loud or the card throttles back because of heat? Have you overclocked it, and if so, what did you get from it?

I really like it so far. Most games are at least twice as fast as with my old GTX580 and I can use 3D Vision for many games again.

DSR (dynamic super resolution) is a nice and uncomplicated way to enhance the graphics of older games which didn't support antialiasing, GTA IV for example.

The card is quieter than my GTX580... but that's not an achievement. ;) The more expensive 970-models are probably way more silent, especially when idling.

I only overclocked it slightly with the MSI Afterburner tool... 100 MHz core clock + 200 MHz memory clock, so ~10%. I haven't tested the OC limits... and probably wont as long as all games are fast enough.

Hearthstone expansion will shuffle 100 new cards into the game

Comments3

The next release for Hearthstone will be a 100-card expansion, Blizzard have indicated. It’ll begin a new cadence of single player updates and expansions for one of the best PC games of 2014 so far, set to play out over the course of the next year.

Read and Comment

Star Citizen's $55m won't turn into profit; all pre-launch funds to be "spent on development"

Comments3

Star Citizen first found success through a WordPress crowdfunding plug-in. Then it found further success on Kickstarter. And then it sort of forgot to stop, slurping success through a straw from some bottomless pit of player goodwill. Today, Star Citizen is in the Guinness Book of World Records - not as the most-crowdfunded game of all time, though it is, but as the most-crowdfunded anything ever.

But the game hasn’t reached profitability yet, absurd as that sounds. The $55 million raised in its name to date will all be funnelled into development, says RSI fleet commander Chris Roberts.

“I sometimes get asked why we continue to raise money,” he wrote. “Haven’t you already raised enough to make the game? The answer is that Star Citizen isn’t a normal game. It’s not being developed like a normal game and it’s not being funded like a normal game.”

Read and Comment

Kickstarter games in 2014 will make less than half the amount they did last year, say analysts

Comment

Kickstarter successes in the games industry have been smaller and less frequent so far in 2014 - and consultancy firm ICO Partners expect developers to muster less than half of 2013’s total by the end of the year.

What’s to blame? A relative dearth of big name developers, ICO reckon, and Steam Early Access.

Read and Comment

Planetside 2 grows space pumpkins in today's update

Comment

Did you know? Space pumpkins boast a variety of medical and scientific uses over their plainer, earth-bound cousins. If you didn’t, not to worry: you’re about to become rapidly acquainted with the orange wonderfruit’s interstellar variant.

In a fortuitously seasonal mix-up, a ship-load of pumpkins has been spilled evenly over the surface of Auraxis. The galaxy’s fruit-pickers aren’t equipped with the necessary training to enter that famous warzone, so it’ll be up to Auraxis’ soldiers to send pumpkin seeds along their way.

Read and Comment

Bedlam is a permadeath post-apocalyptic roguelike built around the Banner Saga engine

Comments1

It’s nice to see successful RPG studios sharing their tech - reminds us of the late ‘90s, when for a little while the Infinity Engine powered anything with a rulebook. 

Obsidian have loaned out the Pillars of Eternity engine for Torment: Tides of Numenera, and now Banner Saga types Stoic have lent their tech to Bedlam - a permadeath, post-apocalyptic roguelike with acronymical ambitions to marry FTL and XCOM. 

Read and Comment

How Hex has evolved on the way to open beta

Comment

Hex, the first collectible card game MMO, has come a long way since its first alpha build. As it readies itself for open beta players can now take part in 128-man tournaments, buy and sell cards through the auction house, and, with a move to the upgraded Unity engine, it's looking better than ever.

Cryptozoic's work is paying off, creative director Cory Jones tells me. “People are playing a lot. The average session is something like 3 – 4 hours. In the first six weeks of the closed beta there were about a million booster packs opened, we had about 600,000 games played, and we recently hit 10,000 paid tournaments.”

Hex is going to be huge.

Read and Comment

Watch WoW boss Anub'arak make holes in a Heroes of the Storm map

Comment

Heroes of the Storm is the only game we’ve ever called “a triumph”. If games had an award season, we’d say it was tipped for awards.

As the Blizzard MOBA emerges, bug-cleansed and account-wiped in the last stage of its technical alpha, Blizzard have advertised the addition of a former WoW boss to Heroes of the Storm’s roster: the insectoid undead king Anub’arak.

Read and Comment

Fuck WoW, he was legit in WC3

Valve announce the 2014 Saxxy Award winners (they're all TF2 shorts)

Comments3

The fourth annual Saxxy Awards promised a more varied line-up than we’ve been used to, thanks to the release of Left 4 Dead and Portal assets to Source Filmmakers. Which makes it all the more surprising to see TF2 creations claim every top spot in the competition. We’ll be waiting til next year to see the fruits of that change.

There’s no faulting the victors for quality, though. The creator of this year’s winning short did a canny thing - made a film that said something about the lives of Valve animators. Take a look.

Read and Comment

Crusader Kings 2 is free this weekend on Steam to celebrate 1 million copies sold

Comments1

If you had any plans this weekend, you can forget them: Paradox’s feudal strategy game, Crusader Kings II is free to play this weekend on Steam. I’m sure you’ve heard about the mad stories that come from this game - it oozes with anecdotal potential. If you’re still on the fence about Crusader Kings II, you should probably try it.

Read and Comment

Stardock unveil Sorcerer King, a new 4X fantasy game on Steam Early Access

Comments2

Stardock, who brought us the likes of Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations, have abandoned the setting of space in favour of a more traditional fantasy one. Their new 4X strategy game is called Sorcerer King, and it’s available today via Steam Early Access.

It’s a “new breed” of strategy game according to Stardock.

Read and Comment

Beyond the Summit announce The Summit 2: $100,000 global Dota 2 tournament

Comment

Casting studio Beyond The Summit have announced their second Dota 2 tournament: The Summit 2. They’ve got $100,000 up for grabs to the best teams around the world.

Just like the Dota 2 International, players and spectators can purchase an in-game compendium item to help increase the prize pool, while also offering bonus in-game items and tournament statistics.

If you’re looking for the next biggest tournament after The International, this is it.

Read and Comment

Rust’s mouth now moves when it talks

Comment

As with most civilisations, developing from a nude caveman to the king of a wooden utopia in Rust requires a little communication. Voice chat has always been present and correct in the game, but these voices appear to emanate from hidden speakers in the characters' chests rather than due to the flapping of tongues and the adjustment of lips. 

That was then, but this is now. 'This' being the movement of player mouths when voice chat is active. 

Read and Comment

Pillars of Eternity delayed until next year

Comments1

Obsidian’s hotly anticipated classic-style RPG Pillars of Eternity has been kicked back down the release schedule. The game is now due to be released in 2015.

The delay comes after the game’s closed beta, which revealed to the development team a collection of bugs and issues that require a little more time to rectify than Obsidian originally expected. 

Read and Comment

It's squid monsters versus killer robots in apocalyptic RTS, Human Resources

Comments1

The end of the world (zombies anyone?) is a commonly used setting in a lot of games these days, but makers of Planetary Annihilation, Uber Entertainment, have spun a twist on their newest RTS game. Human Resources puts you in the shoes of not one, but two apocalyptic forces in order to claim the remnants Earth for your own: giant insect-like robots and the mammoth creatures known as the Ancient Ones.

But none of this will happen unless the game is successful on Kickstarter, where they’re asking for smooth $1.4 million dollars.

Read and Comment

Far Cry 4 has a lot of tools for destruction

Comment

The Far Cry series has always done guns better than the average shooter. It’s not just the selection, but the feel and mechanical love that goes into each one. They’ve all got lovely little notches cut out from years of use, solid kick-back, and a sense of presence that really sells the open-season experience.

Far Cry 4 doesn’t look like it’s bucking the trend anytime soon. This new trailer shows off some of the game’s guns and other death-dealers that will soon be available for hire. 

Read and Comment

ArenaNet are hiring a Guild Wars 2 game designer for "raid content"

Comment

Guild Wars 2 at present currently has zero raids - not counting the world bosses - but ArenaNet might be looking to change that. A new job posting for a Guild Wars 2 game designer specifically mentioning “raid content” suggests that raids are at least on the drawing board. It’s also backed up by several mentions of “Guild Raids” on the games forums, straight from the developers mouth.

Read and Comment

Oculus Rift Development Kit 1 plans are now open source, go “make something awesome” say devs

Comment

VR sensation Oculus Rift is two years into development now and is, what some would say, a ‘pretty big deal’. From a Facebook takeover to a deal with Samsung, Oculus has sprouted from the mind of a 19-year-old Palmer Luckey and bloomed into the biggest thing in consumer electronics. 

Whilst Oculus are proud of that progress, they acknowledge that none of it would be possible if not for their fans and supporters.  As a thank you, Oculus are making the hardware and software details for Development Kit 1 of the Oculus Rift open source. 

Read and Comment

Piranha Games shuts down Transverse crowd-funding; begins refunding backers

Comment

Piranha Games today have announced that they’re halting crowd-funding on their ambitious space title, Transverse. The game, which required at least $1 million dollars for the most basic of features, failed to build any sort of momentum. Conceding defeat, Piranha Games is now refunding all backers for the game, while taking “Transverse behind the curtain” for the time being. hope to see you on the Fringe!

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Styx: Master of Shadows Gets Yet Another Trailer

Focus Home Interactive has released a new trailer for its upcoming stealth infiltration game, Styx: Master of Shadows. As the company noted, in this gameplay video we take another look at the dynamism and flow of Styx’s treacherous ascent, having discovered clones, tactics, skills, and styles. Enjoy! Continue reading

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Four New Gorgeous Screenshots Released

CD Projekt RED has released four new screenshots for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, showcasing some new outfits and never before seen locations. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt looks incredible and is planned for a February 2015 release. Enjoy! Continue reading

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 – Chapter Two Releases Today

KING Art Games announced today that the second chapter for The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 will hit Steam later today. All the backers of the Kickstarter campaign, as well as those who have purchased the Early Access version of The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, will receive the second chapter via Steam update. Continue reading

Rise of the Triad v1.5 & Steam Workshop Release Today, Doom’s Classic E1M1 Map Recreated In ROTT

Interceptor Entertainment has announced that a new update – as well as official support for Steam Workshop – will go live later today. In order to celebrate it, the team shared a video from Dave Oshry’s custom map that shows the classic Hangar level from Doom being recreated in it. Enjoy! Continue reading

Mortal Kombat X – Quan Chi Confirmed To Be Playable Character

NetherRealm Studios has unveiled a new character for Mortal Kombat X that is no other than the evil sorcerer, Quan Chi. In MK X, Quan Chi will have – like all characters – three fighting styles: Warlock, Summoner and Sorcerer. Mortal Kombat X will hit the PC alongside the console release, and promises to be better than its predecessor. Enjoy! Continue reading

Sniper Elite 3 – New Update Adds Mantle Support, Benchmark Graphs Show Performance Differences

Rebellion today announced that summer chart-topper Sniper Elite 3 is the latest in a small but growing list of high-profile games to include support for AMD’s advanced Mantle API. Released today as a free Steam update timed to coincide with AMD’s recent Catalyst 14.9 WHQL driver release, the Sniper Elite 3 update also includes a new Benchmark mode for both Mantle and DX11. Continue reading

Dying Light Gets New Screenshots & Trailer

Techland released today three new screenshots and a new gameplay trailer for Dying Light to showcase the asymmetric multiplayer aspect of the game. Featuring a game-changing day & night cycle, unprecedented freedom of movement, and vast open world with 50+ hours of gameplay, Dying Light will also offer a full-fledged co-op multiplayer for up to 4 players – with a twist. Continue reading

Crytek: “It’s getting increasingly more difficult to really wow people,” Ryse won’t support Mantle

A couple of days ago, we had the pleasure of interviewing Crytek’s Principal Rendering Engineer at Crytek, Nicolas Schulz, who clarified about the rumored Mantle support for Ryse and talked a bit about Crytek’s future plans. Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Last week we posted our recommended PC system specs for The Evil Within, and in turn, we received plenty of feedback. While we still recommend this benchmark to experience the game in all its gory glory, we also recognize the need to provide information on how you can play the game with a wider range of PCs.

Minimum requirements for The Evil Within can now be found below. You won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and you’ll likely need to turn off some features, but you will still be able to have a great experience with the game.

• Minimum Requirements
  • GPU: GTX 460 or an equivalent 1 GB VRAM card
  • CPU: i7 or an equivalent 4+ core processor
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • HDD: 50 GB

http://www.bethblog.com/2014/10/02/update-on-the-evil-withins-pc-requirements/

@TheVoxelman on twitter