By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Alright so, I said F it and decided to install my Strix 3090 and... ITS A BEAST!

The only reason it's not higher is cause my 3900X ain't cutting it. Played Modern Warfare, oof, those god damn frames at Max settings!

But you know what though... I am gonna have to return it... You know why? Cause life decided to say fuck you.

a) There's a fuck ton of Coil Whine
b) THE MIDDLE FAN RATTLES at low speeds

$2145 GPU... Come on Asus! Maybe I will have better luck next time loll

A few other people are also having this issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/jg1dpj/asus_rog_strix_rtx_3090_fan_noise_issue/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Maybe this is the GPU lords telling me to wait for Big Navi!

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 25 October 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
borderlands is just being weird on that front

I'm more interested in the Control results, given that Ampere is a big step forward in terms of ray tracing.

Captain_Yuri said:

Alright so, I said F it and decided to install my Strix 3090 and... ITS A BEAST!

But you know what though... I am gonna have to return it... You know why? Cause life decided to say fuck you.

Sad to hear that it's a dud, even if it's a very fast one.

Your 3080 will be fine. And if not, well, there's Big Navi as you say.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
kirby007 said:
borderlands is just being weird on that front

I'm more interested in the Control results, given that Ampere is a big step forward in terms of ray tracing.

Captain_Yuri said:

Sad to hear that it's a dud, even if it's a very fast one.

Your 3080 will be fine. And if not, well, there's Big Navi as you say.

Yea apparently other people are having the same issue. I don't think it's all strix owners though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/jg1dpj/asus_rog_strix_rtx_3090_fan_noise_issue/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Quite annoying when you spend that much money and have to wait a month only for it to be a dud but oh well. Back to newegg it goes!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:

Talking about Nvidia, the reviewer's guide for the RTX 3070 has been leaked:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-reviewers-guide-leaked

Faster than a 2080Ti in every game except Control with RTX and DOOM Eternal Borderlands 3.

I'm sure these results are cherrypicked by Nvidia and the majority of games will be slightly faster on an 2080 Ti.

But even if I could get a 2080 Ti cheaper than a 3070, I wouldn't buy a Graphic card without HDMI2.1 anymore.

Captain_Yuri said:
So I kinda find it funny how "3" themed my computer is ending up to be.

CPU: 3900X
GPU: 3000 series
RAM: 32GB
Motherboard: X370 Crosshair IV Hero
Power Supply: G3 750 Watt EVGA

You should do the thing and name it after a certain thief

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Okay so I thought after years and years, that I'd actually tery playing Far Cry 3 on PC, since the only other time I played it was on 360. So I try running the 2012 game on Ultra, and it just flat out gave me bad performance, then I had to go around the net and do some digging as to why.

Now some are saying it's CPU affinity, but others say it's multithreading that's the issue, because the game was made with up to 4 cores in mind (apparently), and not 8. I tried the multithread edit via the games only XML file, and that did definitely help, but then I started getting some weird graphical glitches, where I could see half of the normal game, and also see through the game's textures like X-Ray vision, both smushed together. If I ever tried to change an option in the games settings, the game would just CTD.
I tried the CPU affinity trick of 0,2,4,6, and that didn't work either and I ended up with the same result. I even tried lowering the settings to as low as possible, and a few minutes later the same thing would happen again.

I just found out as well that current gen got a "classic" edition of the game, that pretty much gives it PC's lighting and AC settings, and I'm ngl, I'm salty, but also pissed at Ubisoft for pretty much fucking up the PC version. I even checked the benchmarks from 2012, and it played at 30-50fps back then, while I've seen other games from back then playing at 60fps.

Ubisoft are just a trash company when it comes to PC ports. No wonder they didn't apologise for citing PC users as all being pirates, they never gave up[ on that notion and more or less act on it for years (via DRM or shitty garbage port jobs).

I think I'm just going to end up uninstalling the game and perma remove it from my entire library, because it's not working for me at this point, and any game that flat out does not salvageable, gets removed forever from my library, because what's the point?.

Fuck you Guillemot, fuck you and your lineage.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I haven't bought a Ubisoft game on PC in years.

Not until their stupid uDontPlay client deleted my games library, took them to the tribunal and got a refund on every purchase I made.

Their PC ports are trash, just easier to simply avoid.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mummelmann said:

I don't really understand MS' Xbox strategy right now; they sold us their new console on it being the most powerful one and thus superior to PS from a technical perspective. And then they proceed to announce and unveil a much weaker all-digital version which will hamper developers since they need to adjust their software to this rather large deficit. Higher CPU clock rates, 60% more system memory, and a significantly beefier GPU on the series X will be sort of wasted as long as developers have to factor in the much weaker Series S in development. Not to mention it punches holes in the whole "ease of development" factor for console gaming. Varying SKU's was expected, this is how the market works now, along with lots of revisions, but releasing two SKU's with such a large performance discrepancy seems rather dumb.

"We're gonna kick the PS' ass with this new box. But also; the box' brother is much weaker so not really."

Anyone else feeling a tad confused? The naming is an entirely different thing, I get confused sometimes, I can imagine average joe having issues with this. Consumers/gamers who would want an all-digital console would probably also like a fully competitive one when it comes to specs, not a downgrade with much lower resolutions and/or much lower frame rates. It's just a damn weird strategy from where I'm sitting.

MS biggest problem with the XBSX vs XBSS marketing strategy is that they should've announced the XBSS first, though not quite as early. While it would have put a sour taste in people's mouth's and would've took a big hit when PS5 was unveiled, they should've been ready to announce XBSX soon after to solve those problems and go for the KO punch. Imagine SNY (fans) bragging about how much better the PS5 is vs XBSS, then MS drop XBSX soon after. It would've created massive hype for XB. Way more so than what they had established in the way they decided to unveil XBSX so early. MS didn't know exactly what was coming from SNY though. This makes me wonder if MS was still unsure about whether they actually wanted to sell XBSS. I'd guess once PS5 was unveiled and they were aware of where it stood in terms of performance and potential price, they decided it was worth going ahead with XBSS.

The way they promoted XBSX early on wasn't smart overall. Way too much focus on power when they potentially were going to also have the weaker unit as well. I'd maybe guess that they probably didn't want SNY knowing for sure that XBSS was coming and a strong power message would help hide that. I mean, SNY did say they were thinking about a weaker unit as well, so MS didn't want to give SNY a heads up any sooner than they had to just in case. That would make it hard for MS to market the unit(s) by having a plan that was open to change. If XBSS was ready, though up in the air in terms of production, it would be tough to decide when to announce XBSX and how to promote it because you can't wait too late.

This should only be more of a concern for the hardcore casuals that are paying attention. For the hardcore crowd they know the deal, so the marketing shouldn't matter too much. The casual crowd likely isn't paying much attention until they get serious about buying one, which probably won't be until the holidays, where all the marketing will be out there as one package by then. The hardcore casual's who've been along for the ride but trying to figure out where MS stands, are the people most likely to be confused about the units. Starting out by saying you're the most hardcore, only to follow that up later by saying you're also the most casual, doesn't make sense in the traditional console world. With mid gen consoles and now two unique launch SKU's, it should be clear things are changing.

What MS is simply doing is offering options. They can't beat SNY if they try and go head to head, so they decided to do the next best thing and try to offer better price and performance. The average joe doesn't know or care how games are made. They just wanna know what the units can do with new games and what do they cost? If you want a cheaper unit next gen, you have to get XBSS. If you want the most powerful unit overall on paper for the best price, you have to get XBSX. The point is to play monkey in the middle with PS5. They want PS5 to seem like it doesn't fit. Like it's too expensive to be considered affordable, but also not as powerful and not worth it's price. Whether it works or not we'll see.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 25 October 2020

Conina said:
JEMC said:

Talking about Nvidia, the reviewer's guide for the RTX 3070 has been leaked:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-reviewers-guide-leaked

Faster than a 2080Ti in every game except Control with RTX and DOOM Eternal Borderlands 3.

I'm sure these results are cherrypicked by Nvidia and the majority of games will be slightly faster on an 2080 Ti.

But even if I could get a 2080 Ti cheaper than a 3070, I wouldn't buy a Graphic card without HDMI2.1 anymore.

And they will be slightly faster now... but how will the situation be in a couple years when 8GB VRAM won't cut it anymore in every game?

Pemalite said:
I haven't bought a Ubisoft game on PC in years.

Not until their stupid uDontPlay client deleted my games library, took them to the tribunal and got a refund on every purchase I made.

Their PC ports are trash, just easier to simply avoid.

I bought exactly one game there: The first Settlers from 1994, because it's not on GOG or anywhere else - probably because they ported the game from DOS to 64 bit Windows and added some quality of life features to the game on top of that that actually come highly appreciated.