By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your "Screw this game!" moments

I've recently begun replaying the original Ninja Gaiden on the Virtual Console. It's still a great game, and the difficulty is generally overstated: it's certainly challenging, but I rarely died more than once on any given stage.

Until, that is, I reached Stage 6-2. More specifically, the part of 6-2 where a sword-throwing enemy and a homing hawk each spawn on or above a narrow platform. I'm sure any and every Ninja Gaiden veteran knows exactly the part I'm referring to. Being a dumbass, I did not keep the appropriate power-up. So now it doesn't matter if you kill one of those foes, they'll instantly respawn in the same place. Screw that jump. Screw it hard.

One of my runner ups is this asshole, from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Now, Tactics is not a particularly difficult game. In fact, its mechanics let you completely break the game early in the first chapter. Even if you don't deliberately try to break it, the game automatically hands you Orlandu in the fourth chapter, after which point there remains no pretense of challenge.
Velius exists to punish you for not breaking the game.
The first time through the game, when you probably haven't mastered the mechanics well enough to break them yet (and why would you; it's not otherwise a hard game!), you'll stumble cluelessly into this fight, and it won't be pretty. Hope Ramza's a fighter class, or else the duel with Weigraf is going to end real quick. Hope you used the duel to power up Ramza, or else the fight's going to end fairly quick. Hope your teammates can survive two consecutive hits from Summons and ranged demon attacks, or else the fight's going to end super quick. For added funsies, you were probably stupid enough to save right before this battle, huh? Well tough, cause now you can't grind or restock items without winning this battle (and the luck-based battle after it, for that matter).
So there are two of my "screw this game" moments. What are some of yours?

Around the Network

Orstein and Smough from Dark Souls... I spent a whole day of tries just to get to beat one of them... and then I realized you have to fight a more difficult version of one of the two xD. At that moment I simply let myself die and started over the next day. Even tough that part was certainly maddening I actually enjoyed the challenge of the fight and after I finished the boss fight I felt an incredible joy

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

The beginning of Skyward Sword with the constant text. Then the middle of Skyward Sword with The sword constantly stopping progress with saying something obvious (like low batteries) Then towards the end of Skyward Sword where they had you collect 'Tadtones.' At those points I was definitely like 'Screw This!'

No Wonder Animal Crossing is bigger than Zelda now.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

There was a part in Oblivion that spawned a fucking Oblivion portal in every single city, and you are tasked to close them all.

Seriously, not challenge or anything, but just plain frustrating, and a terrible choice to artificially extent the lenght of the game.

When I was at the fourth door, I was already thinking "Screw this!".

Of relatively recent memory - Dead or Alive Dimensions. The last Koop-Fight. Stupid AI parter, enemies have ~10x more health than you and can OHK you with a simple Tag-Throw. After countless tries I managed to kill one of them and bring the other down to ~1% HP. Get killed, get to watch how my AI parter fails to connect a single hit. Lost. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Around the Network

Hmm... long time ago.

The end of Granstream Saga, passed the game easily untill the final fight. Entered the dungeon and saved at a point of no return without any potions... Impossible. (early psx days though, i was pretty inexperienced ;p)
So ofcourse I quit and never actually finished the last boss.

the town stage (Lvl 2) in ghosts'n goblins. untill avgn gave me a confidence boost. But you know the great thing about these old hard as nails classics? Vc has a restore feature!

I was so fustrated with demon souls that I almost traded it in

My srew this game moment was with super mario sunshine. I loved the game, but there was a beach level where you had to clean the beach. It took me a long time to get this particular star and i almost broke the disk because of that!

Wright said:

There was a part in Oblivion that spawned a fucking Oblivion portal in every single city, and you are tasked to close them all.

Seriously, not challenge or anything, but just plain frustrating, and a terrible choice to artificially extent the lenght of the game.

When I was at the fourth door, I was already thinking "Screw this!".

If memory serves, didn't the game spawn over a hundred of those gates, scattered throughout the map? True, you only technically had to close one, and even the side-quest oriented gates that you're referring to were theoretically optional, but it didn't help that they were both numerous and repetetive. Weren't there only eight designs in all or some such?

RolStoppable said:

I couldn't put up with all the garbage in Castlevania 3 either. I stopped at some boss that had sooo much health and did sooo much damage. I guess it's possible that the boss is more beatable with a different support character, but I couldn't be bothered to start the game again.

The general rule in Castlevania III is to stick with the pirate. He makes most boss fights much, much easier.