By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - New federal rules require healthier school snacks

Tagged games:

So what do you think of this?

Good 25 69.44%

Bad 11 30.56%

Total:36
snyps said:
How about take away snacks and replace it with fruits and food? There's nothing healthy about baked chips and diet soda.

Even better, let the kids decide what they want to eat. They're forced to be in those god awful schools. Let them have some chips and soda if they so desire.

Healthy foods should be an option. There are people that will opt for them. But they shouldn't be forced.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
SlayerRondo said:
Kasz216 said:
Soleron said:
SlayerRondo said:
the2real4mafol said:

This will unevenly effect the poor as the rich can just choose more expensive food if they want it more healthy, but the poor simply have to choose food that taste worse if they can't afford unhealthy food that taxing it will do.

This is BS because healthy food is cheaper than unhealthy. If you buy bulk meat, potatoes, vegetables and make a huge stew that serves 4 people a meal for the next four meals you can do so for under $10. Try doing that for ready meals, or McDonalds, or other unhealthy sources.

It's true.  People make the "junk food cheaper" arguement based on calorie per dollar anaysis... which are fatally flawed.

If anyone really can't understand why, just eat a Candy bar in comparison to an Apple.

The Apple is more filling AND has less calories.

Then why do people need to tax fast food more? Given that the stew option is so cheap (and for some people to time consuming) why don't people go for it if it's more healthy?

Because they Chose not to, simply as that. And if i choose to eat junk food and you choose to eat healthy that's fine. If i come crying to you some day if i eat to much that i need medical healp or something, tell me to fuck off.

If i want a candy bar and not an apple, that's my choice, not your's.

Not sure I see  your arguement here.

My argument is that:

The government should not be able to manipulate people's food choice's through tax, for what they perceive as their own benefit.

I think only the individual should be allowed to decide between health and enjoyment, but at the same time think that people of poor health caused by their own poor health choices should pay higher health insurance rates.

Fast food offers something healthy food does not, which depending on the circumstances could be, convienience, cost or taste.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

If federal money is being used to subsidise the food then the federal govt should be in a position to dictate what types of food federal money will be spent on.

If the school is entirely self funding in food then let the market decide.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

6 people voted 'bad' for healthier food in schools? What?!

The PS5 Exists. 

SlayerRondo said:
Kasz216 said:

My argument is that:

The government should not be able to manipulate people's food choice's through tax, for what they perceive as their own benefit.

I think only the individual should be allowed to decide between health and enjoyment, but at the same time think that people of poor health caused by their own poor health choices should pay higher health insurance rates.

Fast food offers something healthy food does not, which depending on the circumstances could be, convienience, cost or taste.

I don't disagree with that.  That's not what this is.  What this is, is the government decidng what foods are served at a government institution

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
SlayerRondo said:
Kasz216 said:

My argument is that:

I don't disagree with that.  That's not what this is.  What this is, is the government decidng what foods are served at a government institution

Oh, i thought this also applied to private institution's, my mistake.

But part of what i said was in response to someone else's slightly off topic comment.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Mr Puggsly said:
snyps said:
How about take away snacks and replace it with fruits and food? There's nothing healthy about baked chips and diet soda.

Even better, let the kids decide what they want to eat. They're forced to be in those god awful schools. Let them have some chips and soda if they so desire.

Healthy foods should be an option. There are people that will opt for them. But they shouldn't be forced.

if you let kids chose they'll pick chocolate cake for dinner. They can't govern their own consumption junk. I do agree federal schools are a pitiful existence for children.

GribbleGrunger said:
6 people voted 'bad' for healthier food in schools? What?!

i voted bad. the government is incompetent. They wont do it right.

snyps said:

if you let kids chose they'll pick chocolate cake for dinner. They can't govern their own consumption junk. I do agree federal schools are a pitiful existence for children.

Nah, they would eat McDonalds or pizza and chase that with some chocolate cake.

I'm fine with letting kids eat what they want. I don't want to punish skinny kids from having a snack because of fatties.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Nah, they would eat McDonalds or pizza and chase that with some chocolate cake.

I'm fine with letting kids eat what they want. I don't want to punish skinny kids from having a snack because of fatties.

I've found that its the skinny ones that live on junk and the fat ones that eat junk and food.. Junk tricks the body.  In other words its the skinny ones I'm worried about. The fat ones need to eat smaller meals.