By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play

Tagged games:

Vetteman94 said:

Maybe its possible they  are being reasonable knowing that the costs of keepoing up a giant online network service like PSN cant be sustained without additional revenue.  And now see why Microsoft did it for years with the Xbox.  I dont really see a bunch of people cheering for this decision, just people who understand the business decision that had to be made.   

MS did it for the money. Sony wants money too.

The End

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
Chandler said:
Vetteman94 said:
Chandler said:
Vetteman94 said:
Chandler said:
Vetteman94 said:

Maybe its possible they  are being reasonable now that Sony does it knowing that the costs of keepoing up a giant online network service like PSN cant be sustained without additional revenue.  And now see why Microsoft did it for years with the Xbox.  I dont really see a bunch of people cheering for this decision, just people who understand the business decision that had to be made.   

Fixed base on how my skewed mind sees things. 

Fixed.

It's an undeniable fact that a business practise that has been ridiculed mere weeks ago is now suddenly laudated as a sensible business decision. The only parameter that changed is the logo on the box. But I know right, good guy Sony has to do it, bad guy Microsoft forced their hand. Cute.

An undeniable fact without sources to prove it is just a baseless accusation.  I would like to see a list of these people you claim who have shown disgust atMicrosoft for their practice of this and are now cheering Sony for theirs.

I will not waste time looking for those threads just because you like to play dumb to keep your point up a couple minutes longer. Everyone here knows that there were plenty of threads about it and you know it too.

Yes I have seen many threads on this very discussion, and it far from as balck and white as you claim it to be.   The vast majority of Sony fans arent happy about this decision.  There are no cheers for Sony for making this mandatory.  In its best cases to fit your scenario are Sony fans coming to the realization that this iis now required and if you want to play online games you have to pay for it.  For you to sit there and claim that now because Sony is doing mandatory fees for online play it is now perfectly OK is absolute BS, and you know it.    

Doesn't change the fact that it was "inexcusable" weeks ago and now we are down to "like force-feeding people vitamins, in the end it's good for them". To quote the reply above yours.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Mr Puggsly said:
Vetteman94 said:

Maybe its possible they  are being reasonable knowing that the costs of keepoing up a giant online network service like PSN cant be sustained without additional revenue.  And now see why Microsoft did it for years with the Xbox.  I dont really see a bunch of people cheering for this decision, just people who understand the business decision that had to be made.   

MS did it for the money. Sony wants money too.

The End

Basically this

Shinobi-san said:
happydolphin said:

radha, Carl.

Radha thinks PS+ is worth it as it is. Please don't forget that there are millions of people who are already subscribed to PS+.

This doesnt automatically mean that he agrees that mp should be behind a paywall. Two completely different things.

Carl simply said it was impressive that plus is cheaper than live. Still dont get your double standard comments which seemed to imply all ps fans on the site are happy about the change. Which is just flat out untrue and you probably know this.

It isn't rocket science. Carl said that it being cheaper than live is impressive (euphemistic expression) when a few years back just the idea of asking for money for online was blasphemy. 

Radha is justifying the paying for multiplayer by saying it's worth the price (due to the PS+ games). It doesn't stand against the way people were on against live just a few years ago, and certainly doesn't address the fact that some people don't want those games but still want to play online multiplayer.

Chandler said:
Vetteman94 said:
Chandler said:
Vetteman94 said:
Chandler said:

It's an undeniable fact that a business practise that has been ridiculed mere weeks ago is now suddenly laudated as a sensible business decision. The only parameter that changed is the logo on the box. But I know right, good guy Sony has to do it, bad guy Microsoft forced their hand. Cute.

An undeniable fact without sources to prove it is just a baseless accusation.  I would like to see a list of these people you claim who have shown disgust atMicrosoft for their practice of this and are now cheering Sony for theirs.

I will not waste time looking for those threads just because you like to play dumb to keep your point up a couple minutes longer. Everyone here knows that there were plenty of threads about it and you know it too.

Yes I have seen many threads on this very discussion, and it far from as balck and white as you claim it to be.   The vast majority of Sony fans arent happy about this decision.  There are no cheers for Sony for making this mandatory.  In its best cases to fit your scenario are Sony fans coming to the realization that this iis now required and if you want to play online games you have to pay for it.  For you to sit there and claim that now because Sony is doing mandatory fees for online play it is now perfectly OK is absolute BS, and you know it.    

Doesn't change the fact that it was "inexcusable" weeks ago and now we are down to "like force-feeding people vitamins, in the end it's good for them". To quote the reply above yours.

Was it the same person who said both things?   

Around the Network

As a consumer, I don't know if i'll pay for PS Plus, but I do acknowledge the deal is very good for the discounts, and relevant games that weren't released in 2008. It really depends on the games I suppose.

As a fan of Sony as a whole though, I do hope this works out well for them. It's not a secret that Sony the company isn't exactly in the best of positions right now, and this extra revenue stream might help put them back in the direction of the black consistently. Hell even if they got a 1/4th of the Xbox Live subs that's $500M per year. What Sony does really well with this service is that they aren't actively blocking every single fucking thing behind a paywall like Microsoft does. MMOs don't require, Netflix doesn't require, and much more.

Vetteman94 said:

As if that even mattered to any of the people that are accusing Sony fans of having double standards.

happydolphin said:
Shinobi-san said:

Radha thinks PS+ is worth it as it is. Please don't forget that there are millions of people who are already subscribed to PS+.

This doesnt automatically mean that he agrees that mp should be behind a paywall. Two completely different things.

Carl simply said it was impressive that plus is cheaper than live. Still dont get your double standard comments which seemed to imply all ps fans on the site are happy about the change. Which is just flat out untrue and you probably know this.

It isn't rocket science. Carl said that it being cheaper than live is impressive (euphemistic expression) when a few years back just the idea of asking for money for online was blasphemy. 

Radha is justifying the paying for multiplayer by saying it's worth the price (due to the PS+ games). It doesn't stand against the way people were on against live just a few years ago, and certainly doesn't address the fact that some people don't want those games but still want to play online multiplayer.

yeah you twisting 2 peoples comments. In any case those are just two users.

I still dont see how you can justify your initial comment. PS fans dont like the pay for mp. If you cant gauge fan sentiment on a site you have been on for over 2 years then I dont know. Either that or you are purposely flaming ps fans. Your pick.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I don't understand where this "$60 for XBLive" thing is coming from. Last I checked, I've been playing less than $50 for mine.

Lafiel said:
Vetteman94 said:

As if that even mattered to any of the people that are accusing Sony fans of having double standards.

Thats essentially the point i am trying to prove.  What they are claiming is essentially guilt by association