By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play

Tagged games:

Lafiel said:
happydolphin said:
I can't stand the double-standards. People here will accept it, after Live took the heat for years over its subscription model.

That is not entirely accurate. You ment to say "I can't stand other peoples double-standards, but I don't mind my own.".

I don't have any.

Around the Network

I personally was disappointed that Sony decided to charge for online play with the PS4. I don't have a problem paying for PS Plus because I personally felt that the service alone was worth the subscription; I just do not like the idea of placing a part of a game's functionality behind a pay wall.

For example, I play games on both PC and each console, so there will be moments when I will play only on one platform, while not using the other ones. With online multiplayer free on the PS3, I didn't have to worry about reactivating my subscription whenever I returned to use the console for a game with MP (which I had to think about with 360 games with MP). However, I didn't mind running a PS Plus subscription, because I could simply download the free games each week (to build my instant game collection), even if I'm currently playing PC games.

I understand from a business perspective that Sony can no longer ignore the revenue, since Microsoft set the precedent, but as a consumer, I can't get myself to like it.

This won't affect my decision to buy the PS4. I don't plan on playing online anyways (for now), but if I do...2 free games per month for my PSVita and PS4 (and PS3 BC in some form). I'm fine with that.

happydolphin said:
Lafiel said:
happydolphin said:
I can't stand the double-standards. People here will accept it, after Live took the heat for years over its subscription model.

That is not entirely accurate. You ment to say "I can't stand other peoples double-standards, but I don't mind my own.".

I don't have any.

I see, so you are not a homo sapiens , but belong to a more highly evolved species. I'm sorry for that mistake.

Lafiel said:

I see, so you are not a homo sapiens , but belong to a more highly evolved species. I'm sorry for that mistake.

You're forgiven.

Around the Network

I think next gen consoles will be the first time either company is actually providing any real online service

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Forcing people to buy a PS+ subscription to play online is like force feeding them vitamins. It's not nice, unfortunately, but it's good for them.

If you're already a PS+ user, you should be happy, because the more money they get the more they can invest to make it better.

And yes, people were using Sony's free online as a plus against MS, but at the same time they were bitching about PSN being inferior. Free services are always inferior to paid services.

Chandler said:
Vetteman94 said:
Chandler said:

It's an undeniable fact that a business practise that has been ridiculed mere weeks ago is now suddenly laudated as a sensible business decision. The only parameter that changed is the logo on the box. But I know right, good guy Sony has to do it, bad guy Microsoft forced their hand. Cute.

An undeniable fact without sources to prove it is just a baseless accusation.  I would like to see a list of these people you claim who have shown disgust atMicrosoft for their practice of this and are now cheering Sony for theirs.

I will not waste time looking for those threads just because you like to play dumb to keep your point up a couple minutes longer. Everyone here knows that there were plenty of threads about it and you know it too.

Yes I have seen many threads on this very discussion, and it far from as balck and white as you claim it to be.   The vast majority of Sony fans arent happy about this decision.  There are no cheers for Sony for making this mandatory.  In its best cases to fit your scenario are Sony fans coming to the realization that this iis now required and if you want to play online games you have to pay for it.  For you to sit there and claim that now because Sony is doing mandatory fees for online play it is now perfectly OK is absolute BS, and you know it.    

This quote tree has been shortened.

yo_john117

happydolphin said:

i'm certainly not happy about the move..

...but i already pay for ps+ strickly for the games so it's hard to care much.  for me, nothing changed.

i'm very happy that they did limit it to just online gaming.  netflix and all those other services remain free and even free-to-play games are exempt.

happydolphin said:

radha, Carl.

Radha thinks PS+ is worth it as it is. Please don't forget that there are millions of people who are already subscribed to PS+.

This doesnt automatically mean that he agrees that mp should be behind a paywall. Two completely different things.

Carl simply said it was impressive that plus is cheaper than live. Still dont get your double standard comments which seemed to imply all ps fans on the site are happy about the change. Which is just flat out untrue and you probably know this.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|