By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony explains why PS Plus is required for PS4 online play

Tagged games:

Shinobi-san said:

yeah you twisting 2 peoples comments. In any case those are just two users.

I still dont see how you can justify your initial comment. PS fans dont like the pay for mp. If you cant gauge fan sentiment on a site you have been on for over 2 years then I dont know. Either that or you are purposely flaming ps fans. Your pick.

Neither.

Around the Network

Wow....ummmm I will just say that it sucks to have to pay to play online. But MOST of us gamers had both consoles anyway some had the Wii as well. And if we played online on 360 we had Live so we payed for it. Me personally I have not had a 360 or payed for Live since Gears of War 2 came out. The ONLY games I played online on Live for real were Gear of War 1 and COD.

I played a little of Gears 2 when it came out but it didn't have the same "magic" and feel as part one so I stopped playing after most people got off of Gears 1. And all the other 360 games I played like Lost Oddessy, Ninja Blade etc were single players games so I didn't need live.

Then I found that the complaints that most of my 360 friends has about playing online on PS were false. I had the exact same experience playing online on PS as I did on line and it was free so I just switched to playing COD on there. Tried PS+ when it was announced and saw(and still see) the value of it even more so that I did with Live. To me they are just two different things going with what they offer.

To close we will see how it plays out for the PS4 and the Xbox One. Right now I still will get the PS4 1st but only after a price drop. Oh and I must say it sucks that you can't use Netflix, Hulu Etc on Xbox One if you don't have Live. Other than that can't say which one will be better yet.....so again CHILL OUT and wait to see what happens next gen....peace

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Well, this was the one point i didnt enjoy on the Sony conference.

They are making the same mistake that microsoft did with this. Give consumers a choice. You want to upgrade to big online persistant world that require servers and upkeept, that is fine. But, keep what was free, still free (the regular online multiplayer) and put the persistant online worlds behind the paywall. Give consumers a choice, dont force them into one.

The only thing thats gonna happen in my case is i probably wont be paying for plus, just like i never played for gold and be shut off of online games. I will then play my online games on the PC. Sad, but true.

GIVE US CHOICE! How difficult is that to understand, seriously...

Areal-Llort said:
I don't understand where this "$60 for XBLive" thing is coming from. Last I checked, I've been playing less than $50 for mine.

Its because that is the retail price for Live.  I, like you havent paid more than $50 for it.

I play my PS3 mostly for the singleplayer exclusives, so this doesn't really affect me of having to pay. I usually use my Xbox for all my multiplayer needs. Having every console and required to playing their online services is a bit too much for me.

Around the Network

I think having to pay for online will hurt the PS4 more than people here imagine. The emerging markets people always keep talking about will be lost by HUGE amount. Just by checking Latin American forums I can see how many people were disappointed by this, to the point where they aren't going to get the console (at least not in a very long time).

Nintendo and PC gamer

BasilZero said:
Areal-Llort said:
I play my PS3 mostly for the singleplayer exclusives, so this doesn't really affect me of having to pay. I usually use my Xbox for all my multiplayer needs. Having every console and required to playing their online services is a bit too much for me.

Same here. I like the free PSN but I hardly use it for MP since I mostly play MP games on PC.

Also yeah, it is gonna be tough in the future for those who buy multiple game systems, gotta choose between two services ;x.

Same

As someone who doesnt really play much mp...this is an unwanted expense.

At least free to play games are still free!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Before people start talking about how great PS+ is and how its worth it just for the "free" games (aka game rentals) alone, lets wait and see how good PS+ is on the PS4, since the console is not BC. So far the only retail game offered for free is a neutered "PS+ Edition" of Drive Club.

J_Allard said:
Before people start talking about how great PS+ is and how its worth it just for the "free" games (aka game rentals) alone, lets wait and see how good PS+ is on the PS4, since the console is not BC. So far the only retail game offered for free is a neutered "PS+ Edition" of Drive Club.

You cant be serious. Another comment like this?

-_-

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

XBox did it for how many years, 7? when all the competition did it for free. Obviously that's something that's going to be criticized.

In the beginning though their service was worth paying for. It was leagues better than the competition, and I payed for it. Later, as PSN grew they became equal (and now it's even better imo) MS still charged for Live and Sony kept it free.

I'm disappointed that we need to pay for online, and I feel like they should have limited stuff to Plus, but not online multiplayer. If you were expecting people to react to this like people have been reacting to Live then you're delusional.