By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gamespot: Sony cut PS Eye from PS4 to beat Xbox One price

Greatly devalues the PS Eye for the entire Gen. If the main penalty for including it is only price parity with one of your competitors, not sure if that is worth it. Feels more like a lack of confidence in it's worth.

Around the Network

Conflicts with the report from 2 years ago that ps4 'won't be anything near the ps3 price'.
I'm guessing this article is fake.
Says retail partners were told about this. No retailers are sourced. Uh huh, go on.

sales2099 said:

Capitalism. profit. Just be lucky Sony didn't adopt it.

That's the point... PS4 is not loosing money for Sony even at $399... the analysts aready stated that Sony is going to little or no loss with PS4... even Patcher belive Sony will have profit at $399.

The BOM of PS4 is cheaper... the issue with MS is that they are having touble with APU that makes the cost way high them what is supposed to be the components used in Xbone.

EdStation3 said:
Video/voice recognition was never a integral part of PS4 when it was anounced in February so I'm sure they were already leaning towards cutting it out regardless of Kinect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2KOZYGb-c

it was like the first feature they talked about with the new DS4... Now that lightbar is pretty useless and will be underused.. pretty sure that the new ps eye was to be meant more integral to the ps4

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

Sony did this quietly, the sources said, telling retail partners only about the removal of the camera and not mentioning the lower price to keep Microsoft in the dark.

lol poor Microsoft.

Imagine the atmosphere in Microsoft boardrooms when Sony revealed the $400 price. "WTF?? Damn it!!!"

Around the Network

Great decision, camera is optional lower the price.

Smart move by Sony. Making it optional to have the PS Eye is a win.

This is all speculation on my part, but what if Sony told retailers that it'd cost $499 only to make m$ look bad, since they were presenting first? Yeah, I know. 99% conspiracy theory, but still.

naruball said:
This is all speculation on my part, but what if Sony told retailers that it'd cost $499 only to make m$ look bad, since they were presenting first? Yeah, I know. 99% conspiracy theory, but still.

IDK, The 399 price was never mentioned in any article, but neither was the 500 price for MS. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. 

Azerth said:
So whats the point of having the bright lights on the controller?

Ot: is it just me or is sony not doing anything but staying the same. Everything they have talked sound like the ps3 coukd do with just a update

Still glows when you are hit or low on health and other useless crap nobody needs also it identifies the player by color which is ok but nothing major. The touch pad is the real innovation here.