By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "Journey Becomes Profitable, ThatGameCompany Starts Receiving Royalties"

Tagged games:

kowenicki said:
danasider said:
Bristow9091 said:
kitler53 said:

sony.  such assholes.  no wonder they are going multiplat.

Pretty much this.

Sony mistreated them, worked them to the bone, poked them with pointed sticks, didn't give them Christmas bonuses, and were overall dicks to the entire company... going multiplatform is the best way to go for thatgamecompany after the horrors they faced working with Sony.

This has debunked WITHIN the thread by someone who worked on the game (AmishGramish).  You probably should read every post before assuming the worst and oversensationalizing a non-issue.  The game wasn't a truly independent project.  The developers were independent and so was their vision, but their funding wasn't.  Sony put a lot of money and effort into having Journey see the light of day.  In the end, it was an investment and they got back what they deserved and now ThatGameCompany is seeing profit.  But the workers did get paid for their efforts and will undoubtedly continue to reap benefits in the future from their work on this acclaimed and unconventional title.

It hasnt been debunked at all.

Change one word in the title and its 100% correct.  Change "becomes" to "is"

Doesnt alter the fact that TGC only just starting receiving any royalties from an apparent huge seller that has been out for over a year.

Not saure how much a community manager would actually know tbh, but it would be nice to hear some concrete sales numbers. 

I'm not saying the OP was debunked.  I'm saying the quoted statements claiming how evil Sony is was refuted on this very thread by a ThatGameCompany employee.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

On topic, it sucks that it takes so long to get profit, but it seems, from AmishGramish very statements ThatGameCompany had a great relationship with Sony.  In fact, one of the creators of Journey (can't remember the name off the top of my head but it was a woman, not Jenova Chen) had a show on GameTrailers and explained the process.  It seems they were paid to make the game so TGC wouldn't see profits until Sony made money on their investment.  Other indie companies that make profit out of the gate have absolutely no support and have to live on their own money and make the game off their own capital, but it seems like TGC's three games on PS3 were pretty much funded by Sony so it's understandable that after paying out salaries and other investments, Sony gets their money back before TGC can see profit.  Only fair.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
danasider said:

This has debunked WITHIN the thread by someone who worked on the game (AmishGramish).  You probably should read every post before assuming the worst and oversensationalizing a non-issue.  The game wasn't a truly independent project.  The developers were independent and so was their vision, but their funding wasn't.  Sony put a lot of money and effort into having Journey see the light of day.  In the end, it was an investment and they got back what they deserved and now ThatGameCompany is seeing profit.  But the workers did get paid for their efforts and will undoubtedly continue to reap benefits in the future from their work on this acclaimed and unconventional title.

It hasnt been debunked at all.

Change one word in the title and its 100% correct.  Change "becomes" to "is"

Doesnt alter the fact that TGC only just starting receiving any royalties from an apparent huge seller that has been out for over a year.

Not saure how much a community manager would actually know tbh, but it would be nice to hear some concrete sales numbers. 

Especially on flOw and Flower, we received a lot of help and training from Sony Santa Monica as well as other devs that were developing on the PS3.  (The development of God of War 3 helped out Flower and Journey a lot, for example.)  We had people help us out with various aspects of development (Jenova and some of the Journey team even went to Valve to check out how they ran things, which spurred rumors that Valve was going to buy TGC).

While I can't talk about specific sales numbers (no developers with our sort of contract can reveal these numbers), Journey was one of the most expensive PSN games ever funded by Sony (possibly the largest, but that gets into them funding other companies, which even we aren't allowed to see specific numbers for), and it had the largest marketing budget for a Sony-published PSN game ever as well.

Word on the street is that Journey was the best selling PSN game of 2012, but we don't have any concrete information on this.

But, yeah.  It took a long time to recoup its investment.  Some games take a few hours, some games take a few years, and some games never recoup their investment.  Part of the reason why there are so many games on PS+ is because some developers/publishers just want to get *some* cash for their games.  THQ put up a couple of Double Fine's games on PS+ without DF's permission and kept all of the money.  This was because THQ was strapped for cash because they were funding so many big budget games.

cmeese47 said:
I wish Sony would but ThatGameCompany.

While Flow, Flower, and Journey should be played by more people, losing these kind of exclusives would be very bad for Sony.

Maybe then we could see ports of Cloud to Vita/PS3/PS4.

Sony could then fund Don't let their balls touch.

These titles would be a perfect highlight to the new indy section Sony is promoting on PS4. Although that would technically not make them indy games anymore.

Still Sony buy Thatgamecompany

Personally, if I get the cash, I'd really like to give Bryan Singh a huge pile of cash to finish DLTBT.  (Physics of Don't Let The Balls Touch: http://vimeo.com/23400070 )

On a side note, Bryan's now working on Naughty Dog's new game.  (He also worked on The Last of Us) :D

sales2099 said:
AndrewWK said:

So don´t post to be a part of the discussion, but because you are bored? Because if you wanted to discuss the subject, you would gather all of the available informationand then state your point.

lol you can't tell me what to do. Ignore me if you feel I didn't read every post

AndrewWK said:
sales2099 said:

lol you can't tell me what to do. Ignore me if you feel I didn't read every post

I obviously can, but you don´t need to listen.

Calm down, kiddos. This ain't the place for feuds.

AmishGramish said:
cmeese47 said:
I wish Sony would but ThatGameCompany.

While Flow, Flower, and Journey should be played by more people, losing these kind of exclusives would be very bad for Sony.

Maybe then we could see ports of Cloud to Vita/PS3/PS4.

Sony could then fund Don't let their balls touch.

These titles would be a perfect highlight to the new indy section Sony is promoting on PS4. Although that would technically not make them indy games anymore.

Still Sony buy Thatgamecompany

Personally, if I get the cash, I'd really like to give Bryan Singh a huge pile of cash to finish DLTBT.  (Physics of Don't Let The Balls Touch: http://vimeo.com/23400070 )

On a side note, Bryan's now working on Naughty Dog's new game.  (He also worked on The Last of Us) :D

Sweet is Brian still with TGC or did he move on to Naughty Dog officially? 

Also working on games like Last of Us and Uncharted 4 has to be a major change from working for a 17 person company (correct me if those numbers are off).

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
danasider said:
Bristow9091 said:
kitler53 said:

sony.  such assholes.  no wonder they are going multiplat.

Pretty much this.

Sony mistreated them, worked them to the bone, poked them with pointed sticks, didn't give them Christmas bonuses, and were overall dicks to the entire company... going multiplatform is the best way to go for thatgamecompany after the horrors they faced working with Sony.

Bro, do you even internet?

Lol, touche.  No I don't "internet" much.  I still understand that whatever forum or comments section I see has a whole bunch of vitriol and contempt based out of misinformation or just a lack of effort by the poster to read others posts.  I guess too many people want to share an opinion but not enough people are interested in learning other peoples to get a good look at the whole picture.

Wright said:
AmishGramish said:

As for lurking (outlawauron):
I just get moderately disgruntled when "this stuff" becomes news.  It was already "revealed" months ago.  I also just prefer to have correct information flowing around the internetz, so I've searched for "thatgamecompany" over the last 24 hours on Google before.

Sorry for posting it then. I merely saw it on N4G and brought it here.

It's alright.  At least it looks like this is clearing up a few problems that improper journalism has created.  (You should see Jenova when he sees that he was taken out of context in an interview.  I was there for the "Xbox gamers don't appreciate art" thing.  It was really taken out of context.  We also have a huge number of fans who only own 360s and/or Wii/Us.)

AmishGramish said:
Wright said:

Sorry for posting it then. I merely saw it on N4G and brought it here.

It's alright.  At least it looks like this is clearing up a few problems that improper journalism has created.  (You should see Jenova when he sees that he was taken out of context in an interview.  I was there for the "Xbox gamers don't appreciate art" thing.  It was really taken out of context.  We also have a huge number of fans who only own 360s and/or Wii/Us.)

I am a fan indeed of your work and I only own a 360 xD

cmeese47 said:

Sweet is Brian still with TGC or did he move on to Naughty Dog officially? 

Also working on games like Last of Us and Uncharted 4 has to be a major change from working for a 17 person company (correct me if those numbers are off).

Yeah, he was one of those who left after Journey was completed.  For *almost* each person who left, it was a very hard decision to leave the company.  Some people decided long ago that they were going to leave the company when the contract with Sony ended.  (A lot of TGCers are college grads, having TGC as their first or second job.)

He went to The Behemoth for a few months, then moved back across the street to Naughty Dog.  (On that note, I went to the same gym as the people over at Riot Games last summer.  They and Hulu are across the street from TGC as well.)  I talked with him briefly about what it was like going from two small companies (with drastically different views on team management, which is perfectly normal in every industry) to a huge studio.

It was difficult for him at first, but the people at Naughty Dog and the atmosphere are very similar to those at TGC, so he fit right in.  :)

EDIT:
Journey's development team was 14 people at its largest, including contractors.

Man if this is the case for a small indie game, I can't imagine how AAA games are doing. No wonder we are seeing more failures than ever.

Nintendo and PC gamer