By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will putting kinect in every box really change anything?

kupomogli said:
Kinect sold far more than the PS Move, but the Move had more support on multiconsole games. Seems that developers felt it was far easier to tack on Move support than Kinect support despite having a much larger audience with Kinect.

Certain multiconsole games that had Kinect support are nothing more than voice commands, games like Binary Domain and Tom Clancy's End War which supported voice commands with a headset as well, or Skyrim, which had voice commands exclusive to Kinect probably because of some payoff from Microsoft to have exclusive Kinect support.

move and kinect were never in the same category despite move using the eye.  the move data is about as similar as mouse data not really that complicated.  keep in mind that move navi was the actual controller.  there was no game that just supported move alone.  that was kinect problem the devs never figured out how do i move if nothing is in their hands

Around the Network
ChrolloLucilfer said:
Reduced

Developing Common features is a good possiblity. But only If the PS4 Camera sell well enough to bother using that feature. If the Camera goes on to sell only a couple a million, I can't see many Third Party jumping at the chance to use it's features.

It's about efficiency.  If I spend X amount of time building a feature for the Xbox One or Xbox 360, I want utilize that as much as possible.  If Sony builds in the same capabilities for voice recognition as the Xbox One, or the developer creates something that works passibly, then they'll do it.  If a game for the Xbox One builds in a face mapping feature, then in all likelihood the developer would include that in the PS4 version.  Just because I create the hooks, doesn't mean I force that feature upon you.  I can do an IF statement to check and see if you have the necessary hardware to support a feature.

If the PS4 Camera has a good attach rate with the PS4, then yes it would be worthwhile for Third Party creating Kinect based features on X1. As there would be potential audience for those types feature to be ported over for PS4 Camera use. But If the PS4 Camera sales are poor, why would a Third Party Developer spend their own time and money on developing features which only X1 audience is going to use to any large degree? It would be a waste resources which could be saved or spent on other aspects of the game developement instead.

Gamers still have this notion that developers time and resources are bottomless.  Developers who think like this are the ones who are hurting from one game to the next because they spend to much time on things that does not produce sales.  For a developer they have to budget their time efficiently and pretty much cost each feature or they can lose money.  As stated, Unless the sales of the PS3 match a certain install base, then creating features for it starts to be a liability.  

Lets take the voice recognition that Kinect has.  People have wondered why developers have supported this features within their games for Kinect but not the headset or even Sonys Eye.  The reason is that MS has a complete API that makes it easy for developers to integrate voice for Kinect while the headset and Sony Eye does not.  This will be the same this gen unless Sony provide an API for their PSeye because most developers will not want to create their own voice recognition code just to add that feature to a game.

Adinnieken said:
kupomogli said:
Kinect sold far more than the PS Move, but the Move had more support on multiconsole games. Seems that developers felt it was far easier to tack on Move support than Kinect support despite having a much larger audience with Kinect.

Certain multiconsole games that had Kinect support are nothing more than voice commands, games like Binary Domain and Tom Clancy's End War which supported voice commands with a headset as well, or Skyrim, which had voice commands exclusive to Kinect probably because of some payoff from Microsoft to have exclusive Kinect support.

Nice try.

The Skyrim voice commands were actually a user generated mod that Bethesda adopted.  There were a number of other similar user created mods that were assembled into one patch.

Here's Bethesda's announcement on the Kinect support.  Coincidentally it also contains the announcement of exclusive DLC(timed) also for the 360.  Yeah.  This really wasn't a pay off to try and sell more Kinect's was it?  They could have easily added headset support even if it was exclusive to the 360.  This is the company who is vocal about refusing to fix game breaking bugs on previous titles after they have no more DLC plans, yet they're going to go out of their way to give you Kinect support.  Regardless if the voice support was because of a mod, the fact that it's Kinect exclusive is a pay off.  If it wasn't a payoff, Bethesda is saying fuck you to 360 owners without a Kinect and all PS3 owners, although I could see them saying that to PS3 owners.  They've pretty much made that clear they don't care about the PS3 fans with some of their replies.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/kinect-support-coming-skyrim/

kupomogli said:
Adinnieken said:
kupomogli said:

Nice try.

The Skyrim voice commands were actually a user generated mod that Bethesda adopted.  There were a number of other similar user created mods that were assembled into one patch.

Here's Bethesda's announcement on the Kinect support.  Coincidentally it also contains the announcement of exclusive DLC(timed) also for the 360.  Yeah.  This really wasn't a pay off to try and sell more Kinect's was it?  They could have easily added headset support even if it was exclusive to the 360.  This is the company who is vocal about refusing to fix game breaking bugs on previous titles after they have no more DLC plans, yet they're going to go out of their way to give you Kinect support.  Regardless if the voice support was because of a mod, the fact that it's Kinect exclusive is a pay off.  If it wasn't a payoff, Bethesda is saying fuck you to 360 owners without a Kinect and all PS3 owners, although I could see them saying that to PS3 owners.  They've pretty much made that clear they don't care about the PS3 fans with some of their replies.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/kinect-support-coming-skyrim/

If the developers felt it was an easily doable thing and they thought it would be a cool feature to have, it isn't a pay-off.  It's a pay-off when they don't have any interest and are given a lot of money to do something.  And they would have included it in the original release if it was a pay-off.  Why wait until months later to include something that has been a very popular DLC add-on for the Xbox 360 version of Skyrim, when you could have included it in the box?

Without Kinect and $100 cheaper, I would have cancelled my PS4 pre-order and picked up an XB1.

At this stage I might pick one up towards the end of the gen.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network
tres said:
Madword said:
The one benefit of having Kinect in the box for all Xbox's is that you can at least make features that take advantage of it. The problem if you make multiplatform games would be that Sony/Nintendo don't, so you have to spend time/money on features that only 1/3 of the users might get access to.

So its kind of catch 22.

thats the same argument that could be said for the touch pad, n'est ce pas?  the one thing this gen has proven is that voice is the main kinect selling point outside of that screw the other console.

the advantage is developers are guaranteed everyone has it and its installed and not just sitting in the closet. what i dont get people cry about using their voice to do something while most of them talk to the game while playing.  i like the idea of kinect monitoring you heart rate.  think sniper elite where if you have it set as an option that it controls your steady if kinect see that youre relax.  or a scary game that if youre calm some crazy stuff just pop out at you, quick switching weapons, etc..  technology is great your playing on it lol.

What? I don't know anyone that talks to their game. A curse maybe now and then, but talking?
I can see head position tracking as a plus as I do know of many people, including myself, that lean into corners or try to peek over a hill in racing games. Not voice commands though, a streamlined quick select menu is much better. It completely ruins immersion if I have to say, "Brick", "Revolver", "Molotov" all the time while playing The last of us for example. I'll use voice when I can actually have a conversation with characters like the adventure games from the 80's and 90's. Get it to work with the Spookitalk engine and I'll bite.

In the long run, I don't think so. I think they should be offering a Kinectless bundle but perhaps have only 20% of skus kinectless so that there is a still a high kinect userbase. This pleases consumers and Microsoft/devs ect.

Adinnieken said:

If the developers felt it was an easily doable thing and they thought it would be a cool feature to have, it isn't a pay-off.  It's a pay-off when they don't have any interest and are given a lot of money to do something.  And they would have included it in the original release if it was a pay-off.  Why wait until months later to include something that has been a very popular DLC add-on for the Xbox 360 version of Skyrim, when you could have included it in the box?

I think my point was proven when I linked the details of the Kinect add on and the "exclusive DLC."  You know.  The same timed exclusive DLC that Microsoft DID pay for.  You know damn well that the Kinect feature was a pay off.  A "cool feature to have" wouldn't limit it to a small amount of users when every 360 owner owned a headset.  It's clear though where you're standing is on this and there's an obvious reason why. 

Huge coincidence that Binary Domain and Tom Clancy's End War allows use of the headset and the Kinect for the feature while Skyrim only allows Kinect usage for the same feature. 

wick said:
Without Kinect and $100 cheaper, I would have cancelled my PS4 pre-order and picked up an XB1.

At this stage I might pick one up towards the end of the gen.

Of course you would have LOL

Were you also going to buy it if they dropped DRM by any chance  

for the governement it will oh oh snap.