By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will putting kinect in every box really change anything?

Adinnieken said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:
Adinnieken said:

Once that code is generated, they need only implement it in a future game.

For instance.  If Microsoft paid for the Kinect features in Skyrim, so what?  If the features Bethesda implemented, such as voice commands, proved popular, then they need only implement the code in their next game.  Bethesda owns the code.  There's no cost to reusing code.  Sure, you might tighten and clean the code, but overall, as long as the code was 100% functional as it was originall implemented, then it's going to work.

I highly doubt there is a significant difference between the API for Kinect and Kinect 2, since you're quite literally just waiting for Kinect to tell you whether or not it received a desired/specified command, or in the case of gesturing, the x, y coordinates of the cursor.  It isn't much different from coding for a mic or game controller. 

Even with an existing made code it will take time to implement and test said feature for every game it used on. With the tightness of budgets and especially in the terms of getting games out on time. I don't see much demand on the part of Third party to bother with said features which have already been given a some what lukewarm demand from the majority dedicated gamer.

The time it takes to implement is equivalent to copying pasting code, because that's exactly what you're doing.  If you're smart, you've put all your code for such purposes in a library and the only thing you do is make a reference to that library in your code.  Since you've already used that library, you know it works, and if you're using a good IDE, it'll tell you if your code is broken before you compile it.  So, geez oh mighty, it isn't that big of a deal! 

Yes, you will need to test it, but it isn't as if you should expect broken code.  Fact is if you've done everything correctly it will work exactly as you expect it to.

Have you ever coded?  Have you not re-used code?  Is coding a such a challenge for you that once you get something to work properly, you're unable to get it to work properly again?  I'm confused as to how or why you see this as such a big challenge, because it isn't.  Smart coders code once, and reuse many.  What do you think a game engine is?  A series of code people copy and paste into a single document?  No!  It's a series of library files that you reference in your code and make calls to those library files. 

As SvennoJ said it not that a straight forward process to port to other platforms. Even after spending the time/money on creating the code you still face the issue of find good and not gimmicky ways to use Kinect, integrating kinect with the existing control pad method so both can be used at the same time seamlessly and actually getting support from the actual hardcore/Mainstream gaming audience for kinect type features. Even if they actually find interesting use for Kinect in more mainstream/Hardcore games, it will all for naught if the audience for those type of games avoid it like the plague as they did with the original Kinect & Sony Move. With the console at over $500 dollar they can't rely on the casual audience to bail out the X1 just because of just upgraded version of Kinect.

If Kinect is going to be major selling point, Microsoft can only rely on themselves as history has pointed out. Even in the motion control boom year the support of Third Party towards the Wii, Kinect and Sony Move were apathetic to say the least.

Around the Network
tres said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:
The Touch-pad on the PS4 has two major advantage over Kinect 2. Firstly the Touch-pad is a control method which has been used for a lot longer than Kinect and has already been fully accepted. Laptops have been using Touch pad as alternative to the mouse since the late 1990's. So any game developed on the PC which uses the mouse/Touch-pad is now a lot easier to be ported over to the ps4 in terms of controls. Ports of existing Tablet games are more a possibility now for PS4 and maybe even of some of the Wii U games touch based control could be ported over as well.

The second and the most important differences between the two is that the Inclusion of the Touch-pad is not a massive cost expense compared to Kinect. So even if Third Party ignore the Touch-pad it's not that much an issue to the PS4 in terms of their direction or an added cost to PS4 consoles. Kinect 2 on the other hand has forced Microsoft to go with a weaker system and 100$ higher price. Making the Kinect 2 mandatory at the cost of power and price shows Microsoft are making a big deal over Kinect 2 features. So if the Third Parties ignore Kinect it's would a massive problem for Microsoft to justify the Kinect 2 with only their software to showcase it.

i have a touch pad on my lap top you know what i use a mouse.  as for tablet games the difference is you see what youre touching not touching the screen waiting for a hot spot to show then moving.  a good example of is fruit ninja.  perfect for kinect would be horrible on the touch pad. kinect didnt force them to go with a weaker system if sony wouldve stayed with the 4gb the difference would have been neglible.  ms blunders was in the egineering department.  and lets be honest i said this before sony has great devs that could push the wii u into next gen they didnt need the most powerful they wanted the most powerful.  even if microsoft had the most power would we see more games than sony nope.   so ms went in the direction they wanted to go in.  its easy for every developer to add kinect even if its just to voice the navigational menu.

there are close to 30 million kinects in the wild.  they introduce kinect when the base was around 60 million.   now take the xbox one without kinect when would it reach the first million new kinect sales?  2 - 3 years?

Apart from the fact the ps4 processor is meant to be 50% faster as well.

I must admit however the extra power will probably not make a great deal of difference with Third Party games for certainty a while at least. But the issue is the mindset of Mainstream and especially the Hardcore gaming audience thinking they are paying more for lower specs and been forced to buy a feature they simply don't want in Kinect. That notion will be very hard to shake off, unless they are are at least willing to match PS4 price wise. As it will be the Hardcore Audience that will primary buying new consoles this Christmas. As the mainstream audience will be happy with the PS3/360 for a while as long as they can get the next CoD, Fifa, etc and casual audience have been priced out for X1 with it price tag of $500.

I question is Kinect a feature they should be puting so much focus on, as the orignal never really shifted that much Kinect based software compared to the size of kinect userbase in the first place?

No. People who don't like to wave their hands around like idiots still won't do it even if they have the device required to do it.

I'd say if people don't want to buy your product, let them.

I think an even worse issue with Kinect is how the device itself broke records but the games themselves sold horribly. I think this speaks a lot to how people don't actually use Kinect even when they went out to buy it.

VGKing said:
No. People who don't like to wave their hands around like idiots still won't do it even if they have the device required to do it.

I think an even worse issue with Kinect is how the device itself broke records but the games themselves sold horribly. I think this speaks a lot to how people don't actually use Kinect even when they went out to buy it.

you would swear that ever last gamer ranting against kinect is girlfriend and familess.  some titles did welll but most got destroyed by the press and the anti-kinect crowd before given a chance.  you watch people like the kinect addict enjoying the hellout out of it.  then you see angry joe being angry joe.

the new kinect is reported to be not as shit as the original whit alot better features.  some might say hell with it i paid for  it and use it

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Welp.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
tres said:
VGKing said:

you would swear that ever last gamer ranting against kinect is girlfriend and familess.  some titles did welll but most got destroyed by the press and the anti-kinect crowd before given a chance.  you watch people like the kinect addict enjoying the hellout out of it.  then you see angry joe being angry joe.

the new kinect is reported to be not as shit as the original whit alot better features.  some might say hell with it i paid for  it and use it

It's not a matter of how accurate the Kinect is, its a matter of how games need buttons to be played. That's why people don't buy Kinect games. They don't want them.

or some might say "to hell with this shit, I'll wait to buy one without Kinect" or "I"ll just buy the PS4 its cheaper anyway".
Consumers like to have options. They don't like things being forced on them.