By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will putting kinect in every box really change anything?

i think kinect with every xbox is not that important at the beginning of next gen. but in the later lifecycle when the xbox one gets cheaper and more and more casual gamer buy the next gen consoles than it might pay off for microsoft if they have kinect as a integral component for xbox one.

Around the Network

I may have been excited about it, had we not had Kinect available for so many years. There is not a single Kinect game worth playing and there is absolutely no reason to think that this is going to change once XO is released. I'm a core gamer, so for me MS is forcing me to pay big money for something that I won't use in games and it will only help MS shove personalised ads down my throat - no thanks. I'm not really into paying more money to allow them to charge companies more for ads. People who are thinking that now we're gonna see a revolution and it's gonna be so much different than what we had with the old Kinect - you guys are fooling yourself so much it's painful to read it.

A gamer won't benefit from Kinect 2.0. It's just a waste of money from our point of view, no matter how you spin it.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

slowmo said:
wick said:
Without Kinect and $100 cheaper, I would have cancelled my PS4 pre-order and picked up an XB1.

At this stage I might pick one up towards the end of the gen.

Of course you would have LOL

Were you also going to buy it if they dropped DRM by any chance  

Yes.

I'm glad my console preference is so important to you.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

SvennoJ said:
tres said:
Madword said:
The one benefit of having Kinect in the box for all Xbox's is that you can at least make features that take advantage of it. The problem if you make multiplatform games would be that Sony/Nintendo don't, so you have to spend time/money on features that only 1/3 of the users might get access to.

So its kind of catch 22.

thats the same argument that could be said for the touch pad, n'est ce pas?  the one thing this gen has proven is that voice is the main kinect selling point outside of that screw the other console.

the advantage is developers are guaranteed everyone has it and its installed and not just sitting in the closet. what i dont get people cry about using their voice to do something while most of them talk to the game while playing.  i like the idea of kinect monitoring you heart rate.  think sniper elite where if you have it set as an option that it controls your steady if kinect see that youre relax.  or a scary game that if youre calm some crazy stuff just pop out at you, quick switching weapons, etc..  technology is great your playing on it lol.

What? I don't know anyone that talks to their game. A curse maybe now and then, but talking?
I can see head position tracking as a plus as I do know of many people, including myself, that lean into corners or try to peek over a hill in racing games. Not voice commands though, a streamlined quick select menu is much better. It completely ruins immersion if I have to say, "Brick", "Revolver", "Molotov" all the time while playing The last of us for example. I'll use voice when I can actually have a conversation with characters like the adventure games from the 80's and 90's. Get it to work with the Spookitalk engine and I'll bite.

one mans cussing is another mans frank discussion lol.

tbh what they could do is have gesture mapping.  where IF YOU  WANT you could map certain actions to your own gestures.

People will unplug kincet

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
wilco said:
snyps said:
One mans gimmick is another mans advantage. I think the majority fear change. Innovation is change. Therefore the majority fears innovation. Kinect will be amazing when a developer spends the time developing the right game for it. That can only happen if the attach rate is high. So yes. Kinect will change things. It's only a matter of time.

That didn't really work out for the WiiU. Unlike the kinect with xbone the gamepad has been a central part of the marketing for the WiiU from day 1 and still nothing compelling has come out of it. Third party developers are barely trying anymore. Just because its bundled with every box does not guarantee support from developers.

So you know every game they are going to come out with for kinect? You know how many developers are working on it and how good the  new tech is?

Please share everything you know and not Opinion. Kinect has done well and having it in every box will make a difference.

MoiseHnkel said:
for the governement it will oh oh snap.

Says the person with a smart phone, camera and microphone in his pocket.

DJEVOLVE said:
MoiseHnkel said:
for the governement it will oh oh snap.

Says the person with a smart phone, camera and microphone in his pocket.

I really understand what you mean , but I'am maybe one of the last few who doesn't have phone or even facebook page ._. I am so alone.

But you can't really know if its true or not ... its the damn Schrödinger's cat all over again !

Kinect is a popular peripheral, hamstrung by technical limitations of being shoehorned onto a system not designed for it, and being late to the party. Going into next-gen, kinect may be a serious differentiator in what may not be a compelling market.

Yes, yes it will. Remember how awesome XBL was when it launched? Of course not, because it wasn't. Well with the 360, XBL 2.0 found it's fulfillment and the industry is much better for it. I see something similar happening with Kinect 2.0.