By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cliffy B: Sony forced Microsoft's hand, not the internet whining

sales2099 said:
Everyone dismisses this claim.....until we see the reality of more DLC and studio closures.

Then apparently we will care.

In the end, I support the reversal, but it comes with a cost

Then let them die. This stuff happens every generation. This stuff happens in business.

When one falls, another will rise to take their place.

If their solution to "fixing" the industry is to fuck over, blame and push all of the costs to the consumer then this industry is toast to begin with.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
SunofKratos said:
So if X Box one would have DRM than we wouldnt have DLCs and Ad on s and that Kind of stuff. Seriously cliff.

Of course that stuff won't go away.

What would happen is they would go 100% DRM and overall game sales and revenue will not reach where they expect. That or it does and then either they raise budgets or investors demand higher revenues. At that point they will just fucking blame us for something else and fuck us all in the ass again.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Most of you (Cliffy B. included) don't realize that would have taken weeks to come up with at the very least so I would have to assume they considered this right after the reveal. That means they were heading into E3 knowing this (a major reason why they weren't talking about DRM and blocking used games). The preorders weren't the reason they did this nor was Sony's E3 showing, those were just icing on the cake. The real reason was the backlash right after the Xbox reveal event. Also just because the obvious DRM was removed doesn't mean that DRM is fully removed. All those Xbone games are still relying on "the power of the cloud" so those games will still have some "DRM" in them.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Cliffy is getting dumber and dumber by the day.

sales2099 said:
Everyone dismisses this claim.....until we see the reality of more DLC and studio closures.

Then apparently we will care.

I won't.

Around the Network

I don't think I have ever bought a single piece of downloadable content for any game ever. I also always read the metacritic on a game before I touch it. Same with the expansions. I have played several of those free online mmos but I have never paid them a dime for extra content other than for the TribalWars premium account which was totally worth it in that case. I played Planetside 2 for an hour and promptly deleted the piece of crap off of my computer. I'm not in danger in the slightest.

crissindahouse said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

This guy needs to take that MS rod out of his ass. I liked him better when he just talked about Gears of War and just stfu after that. 

Does everyone who agrees with Microsoft have to sound like a corporate American puppet?

The DLC model as shown by Killer Instinct on the Xbox was already meant to expand so oooooooOOOOOOH you really scareeeeed me now Cliffy! Imprending doom making me shiver in all the right places. Even with the DRM DLC was still going to expand. You think taking our rights was going to stop them from putting out DLC? Dumb fuck....you must really like being in bed with Microsoft.

i'm pretty sure that is one of the examples he doesn't really mean since you can still get the full experience for 60 bucks or less. if you want to play it for free or only invest money for some fighters is only an option. but buying a 60 bucks game which is only "a half game" is something much worse.

Free to play is the next route DLC will be taking with a vengeance. I always knew with  gaming they would be forcing larger DLC on us regardless of Microsofts policy on DRM.  Once I heard about the Killer Instinct downloads and People who pay for COD pay like almost $200 a year for the game, season pass and used to pay for elite. Mass Effect after EA bought them has DLC up the yin yang forcing people to pay $100 after DLC with the games. They are chopping up the games when we should be getting larger campaigns for our money. "Omega" and "Ashes" in Mass Effect 3 should've never been DLC. This would've never stopped knowing EA. Cliffy an Epic are no different with their DLC packs forcing us to pay $100 in the end for DLC with our game.

Multimedialover said:
1 question what if he is right?

After all videogames is the knly industry where devs and publishers only make revenue from 1 area.

Videogames make revenue from merch as well as videogames. They aren't stupid and hold themselves down. Look at all they put into special editions. They sell making of books, music DVD's come on man.