By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your iPhone Could Be Disabled During The Next Protest You Attend

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2012/09/your-iphone-could-be-disabled-during-the-next-protest-you-attend.html

The next time you’re at a concert and you whip out your iPhoneto record  the excitement, you may notice it doesn’t work. During the show you keep trying to turn it on but for some reason it just won't light-up.

But miraculously when you go outside when the concert is over, your phone all of a sudden works again. This can happen to you at the next concert you attend or maybe inside the next movie theater you go to.

Apple has received a patent that would allow the company to turn off its mobile devices in areas that are deemed inappropriate for recording or taking pictures. The new technology would also have the ability to shut down communication functions in devices, so people couldn’t text or make phone calls if they’re in areas that are considered sensitive.

(More available at the link)

My thoughts? Why does it have to switch the phone off? Why not just move into silent mode? It sounds like there was some other influence on this decision, in order to cut communications from something like a large mob....

Around the Network

more reason to stay away from apple... not that i do that... but seriously? so if theres an explosion in a justin bieber concert and for some reason i wanna record it..... i guess i will miss my chance to be big in youtube :P

It's all a government conspiracy.

aikohualda said:
more reason to stay away from apple... not that i do that... but seriously? so if theres an explosion in a justin bieber concert and for some reason i wanna record it..... i guess i will miss my chance to be big in youtube :P

That's another good point that I never thought of....some kind of live DRM...

Accela said:
It's all a government conspiracy.

After PRISM, can anyone really fully doubt anything like this anymore?

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
more reason to stay away from apple...

Amen.

Can anybody else see this system getting hacked, and large, anonymous broadcasts disabling iPhones throughout a large region like a CBD?

Sounds like a wet dream for a real terrorist...

curl-6 said:
aikohualda said:

Amen.

Add me in this. I never liked Apple. Let me add it to the list of things I hate about apple.

DJEVOLVE said:
curl-6 said:
aikohualda said:

Amen.

Add me in this. I never liked Apple. Let me add it to the list of things I hate about apple.

Ha! See, we do agree on some things

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

If cell phone jammers are illegal, then this won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Though it would be nice to see school kids forced off their gd phones and paying attention once in a while.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."