By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft lost another war against Sony after HD DVD fiasco

freedomland said:
mii-gamer said:
They listen to the community and reversed a policy which was a mistake in the first place and you are attacking them. People find the smallest and the stupidest things just to attack a company. No wonder the xbox fanbase is dwindling here

Don't get emotional, and remember that they didn't listen to community, they are afraid that if they don't change their policy, they will lose sales.

They did listen to the community, they changed their policy because they were concerened it would have a negative impact on launch and sales going forward, what on earth is wrong with that?

These are buisnesses, it is you who is emotional and seeing them as "people" with personalities etc. They go with whatever makes more cash and there is nothing wrong with that - at all!

Are you saying there is?

Around the Network
freedomland said:

Nobody demanded Linux, Nobody missed Linux and Sony didn't create Hype about it but policies are another thing, you are saying something else and doing something else mean while stabing in the back of fanbase.

Removal of Linux (+ the Geohot suing issue)is why I stopped buying all Sony Products. I missed out on some great games cause Sony screwed me over but I am ok sticking to my guns. I wasnt getting a Xbone up until 6ish hours ago but am likely to get one now because they listened to what the consumer wants.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

AndrewWK said:
The answer is NO we can´t trust Microsoft but neither can we trust Sony.

Both companies would gladly fuck us in the ass and not even pay for dinner. Those are huge corporations and not our friends and the only reason that Sony is changing their course so drasticly is to stay competitive. Do you really think Sony hasn´t discussed the very sam policies until Microsoft has suffered such a huge backlash. Don´t be naive kids

Some companies gain consumer trust and some not because of their actions.

kitler53 said:
did MS ever really care about HD DVD?

...i always thought what little support they put behind HD DVD was just to prevent sony from being too successful with blu ray and the ps3.

HD DVD was a bonafide format that on paper is "better" than bluray.

Of course Microsoft would have put it's support behind HD DVD even if it wasn't superiror to cause havok on Sony's end.

Microsoft actually put quite a bit of effort into HD DVD, the VC1 codec didn't come to existance for nothing. Microsoft was a massive player in that area and provided some top notch tools for encoders to use. This is what made HD DVDs often superior to their Bluray counterparts even while only taking up 10GB less on a disk etc.

It's all about the money of course and you're completely correct.

fillet said:
freedomland said:
mii-gamer said:
They listen to the community and reversed a policy which was a mistake in the first place and you are attacking them. People find the smallest and the stupidest things just to attack a company. No wonder the xbox fanbase is dwindling here

Don't get emotional, and remember that they didn't listen to community, they are afraid that if they don't change their policy, they will lose sales.

They did listen to the community, they changed their policy because they were concerened it would have a negative impact on launch and sales going forward, what on earth is wrong with that?

These are buisnesses, it is you who is emotional and seeing them as "people" with personalities etc. They go with whatever makes more cash and there is nothing wrong with that - at all!

Are you saying there is?

First read my topic post carefully, i mean they are hurting their own fanbase with these back and forth policies.

Around the Network
freedomland said:
AndrewWK said:

Both companies would gladly fuck us in the ass and not even pay for dinner. Those are huge corporations and not our friends and the only reason that Sony is changing their course so drasticly is to stay competitive. Do you really think Sony hasn´t discussed the very sam policies until Microsoft has suffered such a huge backlash. Don´t be naive kids

Oh you mean things like Rootkits are fair game?

Breaking the red book audio CD standard and still labelling them as such?

The creation of SecuROM?

The creation of countless pointless formats to compete with established open standard ones in a cheap shot at making money on proprietory sublicensed technology?

(MemoryStick/Duo/Pro-Duo/Betamax/ATRAC)

There's nothing wrong with any of that, if it brings in the money. But it's certainly not righteous.

(in fact the rootkit bit is actually "wrong" but then so what, shit happens...but I'm not arguing anyone's corner like yourself sir).

CDiablo said:
freedomland said:

Nobody demanded Linux, Nobody missed Linux and Sony didn't create Hype about it but policies are another thing, you are saying something else and doing something else mean while stabing in the back of fanbase.

Removal of Linux (+ the Geohot suing issue)is why I stopped buying all Sony Products. I missed out on some great games cause Sony screwed me over but I am ok sticking to my guns. I wasnt getting a Xbone up until 6ish hours ago but am likely to get one now because they listened to what the consumer wants.

You are forgiving Microsoft after all this but you are still ranting about Linux.

freedomland said:
fillet said:
freedomland said:
mii-gamer said:

Are you saying there is?

First read my topic post carefully, i mean they are hurting their own fanbase with these back and forth policies.

How are they hurting their own fanbase, I think you'll find they are reacting to their fanbase.

Something that should be admired considering the size of Microsoft as a company, that's pretty darn rare.

Really now, I and I'm sure others reading your musings would like to know exactly what is so wrong with going back on a midjudged anti-consumer policy? MS has taken a lot of flack for their stance by people who are typically pro Microsoft, including myself.

But you have to have some kind of personal issue with a company to still express their feelings like you are after such a positive u-turn.

fillet said:
freedomland said:
AndrewWK said:

Oh you mean things like Rootkits are fair game?

Breaking the red book audio CD standard and still labelling them as such?

The creation of SecuROM?

The creation of countless pointless formats to compete with established open standard ones in a cheap shot at making money on proprietory sublicensed technology?

(MemoryStick/Duo/Pro-Duo/Betamax/ATRAC)

There's nothing wrong with any of that, if it brings in the money. But it's certainly not righteous.

(in fact the rootkit bit is actually "wrong" but then so what, shit happens...but I'm not arguing anyone's corner like yourself sir).

I' am not taking sides, it's a discussion to share the ideas.

freedomland said:
CDiablo said:
freedomland said:

You are forgiving Microsoft after all this but you are still ranting about Linux.

You're missing the point here.

Linux was a feature that was included as standard with a PS3, it was later removed and that feature taken away from a product that had already been paid for. People went over this a couple of years ago when it happenend. The fact of if people even used it is not relevant, the important issue is it was removed without consent to allow the PS3 to function as it was intended to and continue playing games online and play games that used a firmware higher than the version that removed the Linux feature.

But as I said....we've been there.

The DRM on the Xbox One is different, Microsoft have been open, if rather vague that it was going to feature some horrible DRM - BEFORE a potential buyer purchased it.

That is a massive distinction and I'm surprised you are arguing that as a postiive for Sony and a negative for Microsoft.

Let's not get off topic though, you think this is some kind of terrible thing so please explain exactly why it's so awful that Microsoft has changed a policy that wasn't popular with potential customers in an effort to not put them off buying a product and making more money? The way you talk it sounds like it's an unethical sin for a company to make a buisness decision?