By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft lost another war against Sony after HD DVD fiasco

secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
Azerth said:
just like how sony allowed Linux but then took it away?

because you were using linux. They took it away because nobody wanted it. That makes sense. Who bought a ps3 for linux???

Not relevant. It was known to be there by a significant number of buyers and those buyers may or may not have factored Linux into their purchasing decision. It's not for you or me to make suppositions on that fact - it's not measurable.

What can't be argued with is that it was there upon purchase but was later removed without consent.

That is what is wrong.

Not that it "can't be used anymore". It's why there was such a commotion, the consumer rights aspect. Not the "Oh but nobody used it anyway aspect".

By removing such a feature it sets a president for such actions in other areas of business and consumer rights violations.

It was a massive deal purely on that.

You didn't pay for linux when you bought the ps3. you had to get it yourself. The only thing the system did was supporting. In layman's term ps3 cost does not include linux.

Doesn't work like that, Linux is free and always will be.

The PS3 had a feature of the ability to install linux. That feature was removed. Therefore I am not happy.

I'm not sure why anyone would defend such an action of any company. I would be biting like a dog whatever company took such action. Consumer rights are important to me. If I pay for something and later on an option of any kind is taken away from me that was designed to be there at time of purchase I will be angrey and so would most people who didn't have a loyality towards said company.

I was very cheesed off when Cinavia was added to my Bluray player so I could no longer make backups and play certain disks too.

I don't like things changing once contract at point of sale or any contract has been made. If you think about this kind of thing a bit deeper instead of just "nobody used it anyway", it leads on to violation of consumer rights, unhealthy president favouring business and nothing good in return to consumer except your rights being eroded gradually over the years.

You feel entitled to stuff. Man you should read the fine prints of agreements where they state that the service provider reserves the right change the parametrics of their product. If it was illegal somebody smarter than both you and I would have made a fortune. You buy a computer and it gets a virus, do you go to microsoft and say what happened give me my money back? If you do take me with you.

Yet again I love microsoft decisison today. I just believe that sony's Linux "problem", which I've encountered today for the first time was not bad. I believe that consumers are smart and aware of where their money went. If it had been problematic people would have colluded like they did against DRM.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Linux stuff. :) No offense at all by me saying that.

But back on topic, I still don't understand what the problem with Microsoft's U-Turn is.

Think it all stems from people forgetting that video game companies are your friends and therefore their actiions are not acts of betreayal but sound buisness decisions, even if you don't like them, it's not personal.

Around the Network
freedomland said:

I' am not judging and not sure what will be the future implications of reversing online policies of X1 but one thing is sure that Microsoft is a company you can not rely on. It seems Microsoft lost another war against Sony after HD DVD fiasco because they don't listen to their fanbase.

First they disappointed the Xbox fans with their new policies but some of them started believing them and started to like their policies and now they are betraying them as well and thats how they treat their fanbase, here i will not go in details,  you already know what i' am talking about.

The big question is this, CAN YOU TRUST THEM?

I don't know if your 'thing' is being clueless, but you should at least know that HD DVD was a consortium, backed by the same consortium that supported DVD. Bluray was another consortium, of which Sony was also a member. Microsoft's only contribution was HDi.

HD DVD was a war between consortiums of companies. One of the main issues between their differences regarded the implementation of interactivity (BD-J vs iHD). It had little to do with Sony, and even less to do with Microsoft (who was a late joiner to the HD DVD consortium.

...But seing your profile logo actually clues me in to your knowledge.

fordy said:
Can you trust Sony, who have a vested interest on keeping media on BluRay, and will trump up any kind of move to cloud based media as bad, even if it's on their competitor's platform?

gaikai

bananaking21 said:
fordy said:
Can you trust Sony, who have a vested interest on keeping media on BluRay, and will trump up any kind of move to cloud based media as bad, even if it's on their competitor's platform?

gaikai

How many Xbox One games will be on Gaikai?

fordy said:
bananaking21 said:
fordy said:

gaikai

how many PS4 games will be on MS's cloud? 

thats one of the most ridiculousness questions i ever heard. you are simply acting as PS4 has nothing to do with the online gaming space, which is simply not true. you are either very ignorant on the matter or are just saying this nonesense just to bash sony, im guessing its the latter. 

Around the Network
fillet said:
freedomland said:

I' am not judging and not sure what will be the future implications of reversing online policies of X1 but one thing is sure that Microsoft is a company you can not rely on. It seems Microsoft lost another war against Sony after HD DVD fiasco because they don't listen to their fanbase.

First they disappointed the Xbox fans with their new policies but some of them started believing them and started to like their policies and now they are betraying them as well and thats how they treat their fanbase, here i will not go in details,  you already know what i' am talking about.

The big question is this, CAN YOU TRUST THEM?

HD DVD was much more open and superior format to Bluray in terms of actual technology. If you know what BD-Java is you'll understnad.

HD DVD died because it didn't have enough encryption and anti-consumer technology for the movie studios.

Your username is ironic considering this.

You're going to have to do a much more subtle and factual troll post to receive congratulations instead of me reporting you.

HD DVD was not superior to Bluray in terms of technology. Bluray was a flat out better format. BD-J has nothing to do with the hardware. It's just the shitty menus. And I'll agree Java sucks. Bluray also supports VC1 and did when HD DVD was still around.

Transfer speeds and layer sizes, bluray was superior. 

fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
Azerth said:

because you were using linux. They took it away because nobody wanted it. That makes sense. Who bought a ps3 for linux???

Not relevant. It was known to be there by a significant number of buyers and those buyers may or may not have factored Linux into their purchasing decision. It's not for you or me to make suppositions on that fact - it's not measurable.

What can't be argued with is that it was there upon purchase but was later removed without consent.

That is what is wrong.

Not that it "can't be used anymore". It's why there was such a commotion, the consumer rights aspect. Not the "Oh but nobody used it anyway aspect".

By removing such a feature it sets a president for such actions in other areas of business and consumer rights violations.

You didn't pay for linux when you bought the ps3. you had to get it yourself. The only thing the system did was supporting. In layman's term ps3 cost does not include linux.

The PS3 had a feature of the ability to install linux. That feature was removed. Therefore I am not happy.

I'm not sure why anyone would defend such an action of any company. I would be biting like a dog whatever company took such action. Consumer rights are important to me. If I pay for something and later on an option of any kind is taken away from me that was designed to be there at time of purchase I will be angrey and so would most people who didn't have a loyality towards said company.

I was very cheesed off when Cinavia was added to my Bluray player so I could no longer make backups and play certain disks too.

I don't like things changing once contract at point of sale or any contract has been made. If you think about this kind of thing a bit deeper instead of just "nobody used it anyway", it leads on to violation of consumer rights, unhealthy president favouring business and nothing good in return to consumer except your rights being eroded gradually over the years.

You feel entitled to stuff. Man you should read the fine prints of agreements where they state that the service provider reserves the right change the parametrics of their product. If it was illegal somebody smarter than both you and I would have made a fortune. You buy a computer and it gets a virus, do you go to microsoft and say what happened give me my money back? If you do take me with you.

Yet again I love microsoft decisison today. I just believe that sony's Linux "problem", which I've encountered today for the first time was not bad. I believe that consumers are smart and aware of where their money went. If it had been problematic people would have colluded like they did against DRM.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Linux stuff. :) No offense at all by me saying that.

But back on topic, I still don't understand what the problem with Microsoft's U-Turn is.

Think it all stems from people forgetting that video game companies are your friends and therefore their actiions are not acts of betreayal but sound buisness decisions, even if you don't like them, it's not personal.

I still don't know who you're talking too because I already told you that I like what microsoft is doing. Companies only make money when we give it to them, and we give it to them when they make us happy. Their goal is to make us happy in order to make more money. Nobody buys something they hate.

bananaking21 said:
fordy said:
bananaking21 said:
fordy said:

gaikai

thats one of the most ridiculousness questions i ever heard. you are simply acting as PS4 has nothing to do with the online gaming space, which is simply not true. you are either very ignorant on the matter or are just saying this nonesense just to bash sony, im guessing its the latter. 

Where did I say that?

Of course Sony is going to tout it's OWN cloud-based technology, it OWNS Gaikai, but tell me where Sony is profiting from Microsoft's cloud platform, unlike the money it gets from Microsoft for putting it's media on BluRay.

You don't think that Sony DOESN'T have a vested interest in Microsoft selling more physical BluRay discs? Who does that make the ignorant one?

secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
fillet said:
secpierre34 said:
Azerth said:

That is what is wrong.

I still don't know who you're talking too because I already told you that I like what microsoft is doing. Companies only make money when we give it to them, and we give it to them when they make us happy. Their goal is to make us happy in order to make more money. Nobody buys something they hate.

Oh sorry, was referring to the OP really.

The Linux stuff is just opinion I guess, only so far people can argue their point but if people don't agree on the fundamentals then each to their own :)

In so far as the Xbox One DRM stuff policy change...well, still yet to hear from a coherant response from the OP and was directed at them. The tone of his posts personify Microsoft as an organic entity with humanistic qualities...Which can lead to posts of the OPs nature.

fordy said:
bananaking21 said:
fordy said:
bananaking21 said:
fordy said:

gaikai

Where did I say that?

Of course Sony is going to tout it's OWN cloud-based technology, it OWNS Gaikai, but tell me where Sony is profiting from Microsoft's cloud platform, unlike the money it gets from Microsoft for putting it's media on BluRay.

You don't think that Sony DOESN'T have a vested interest in Microsoft selling more physical BluRay discs? Who does that make the ignorant one?

You don't post enough here. It's a shame you're not among equals.

User was banned for this post.

yo_john117