By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “You’re all being played” Bleszinski slams Sony’s lack of used game blockers as a PR tactic

mibuokami said:
Adinnieken said:

In a worse case scenario, let's say The PS4 gets hacked over the next year, and as a result the pirating of PS4 games becomes rampant.  Sony's passive DRM is compromised, disc copying possible.  Sony doesn't have a solution to this problem ready.  Developers and third-parties, seeing their work get stolen and distributed without their control implement various active DRM solutions.  Some stringent, requiring constant contact with the server and no offline play at all, others a bit more user friendly.  Some allow for resale, others don't.  Some allow for rental, other's don't.  Now the PS4 is no better or open than a PC and worse than the Xbox One.

Don't use the piracy crutch, both the PS3 and 360 where hacked, and in the 360's case years ago and neither system suffer worldwide cascade failure, in fact it is barely noticeable in the key market and only appear as a fringe issue in under preveleged country were games can still cost far more money than the average joe can fork out.

And as of the obseletion of the physical medium? What rubbish, do you honestly expect physical medium to dissapear overnight? Look up the purchase habbit of Music and Movie in the US, there is a definite trend towards digital but even after Apple busted open the gate of digital dstribution all the way back in 2001, physical album is still the market leader over digital.

For the entire lifecycle of the PS4-XboxOne, it would be an extremely easy prediction to say that physical game is not going away... it will definitely become less dominate but in a decades time retail and physical game will still play a pivotal role in the success and failure of video games, you can count on that.

And as for Microsoft not being in a bad spot? Take a look back at the disastrous launch of the PS3, its predecessor was market leader but it came of the gate like a bag of limp noodle, no games, disatrous PR, shit services and an attitude that stank to high heaven. They eventually manage to claw their way out of a hole but the lost of market share was massive.

Given that the so call digital age XboxOne has received an equally disastrous round of PR bombing and is more expensive than the PS4 to boot, Microsoft is already having to fight an uphill battle to convince consumer that their product is a value-added proposition, the same shit Sony did and they were in a MUCH strong position with respect to brand name, I cannot picture them gaining market share in the short term, and in the gaming business the early adopter in the first few years matters.

Microsoft is not gaining market share with these stunts, they're losing them, Europe should have been the battle ground, with US being the home turf, but instead of taking the fight to Sony, MS is basically given half of europe the middle finger and telling them to buy the PS4, and on top of that, they have not produce the so call value-added proposition to entice these market, they're preaching to the US and UK only, the stronghold were they have been winning year after year, and despite this, they're loosing ground in the core demographic because they keep fucking up their PR with statement almost AIMED to infuriate core gamers.

Microsoft jumped the gun. Just like the PS3 and the Dreamcast, the tech / service they're trying to introduce is simply not what the consumer need or want anytime soon. The XboxOne should have been a next-next-gen thing.

As I seem to recall, the Xbox 360 began the previous generation without HD media and countered Blu-Ray with a download/rental system for HD digital video.  When Netflix was added, it boomed.  The industry will catch up.

Even Sony, in talking with Kotaku today, says that they want their gamers to transition to digital.  That physical media is a problem.  But yet Sony refuses to talk about DRM, at all. 

That's not Cliff Blizeski saying it.  That's not Stephen Totilo saying it.  That's a Sony executive refusing to talk about DRM because Sony, despite knowing they need to move their gamers from physical media to digital, won't talk DRM.

I'm sorry, but as the last generation was the rise in multiplatform development and the subsiding of exclusive development, this generation will see the transition to digital.  I didn't say it'll be complete this generation, but by the end of it the majority of people will be buying their games online. 

Around the Network
ShadowSoldier said:
Im never buying another one of this guys games. He's so anti-consumer it's not even funny.

Cliff Bleszinski

You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.

If the games can't make money, then Publishers need to be able to better manage their budgets. No one is asking for AAA 150Million dollar titles. All we want is good games and a high budget does not equal a great game. Before trying to blame the consumers for the industry's broken model, we should first look at the suits who put themselves in that position first. By the by...Fuck you Cliffy B, you're a superficial cunt

You do realize that publishers don't manage a budget in the way you think.

Publishers fund games.  They essentially put up the money for the developer to make the game.  It kind of works this way.

As a development studio, I go to a publisher with a game I believe can be successful.  The publisher either disagrees and turns me away, or the publisher agrees and asks how much.  By this point, if I'm a good developer, I've already figured out how much it'll cost me to hire everyone I need to work on this game, and I give them that figure.  It's then my responsibility as the development studio to budget those funds and keep the project in budget and on time.

Once the game hits retail, the publisher gets a percentage, as well as the developer and the console manufacturer.  Between the publisher and the developer, the publisher gets their investment or a percentage of it repaid first, and then the developer begins seeing returns.  If the game is successful they may have enough cash-on-hand to fund the company until the next project.  Hopefully has a second project lined up before the previous one is even finished.  If the game isn't successful, and they didn't make enough to fund the company, they may go under or take on less lucrative projects.

Publishers may take a more active roll in the budgets of studios they own, but it depends on the studio and publisher.  Not all publisher owned studios are micromanaged.

Also Epic, Cliff's former employer, is an independent studio.  As the maker of the Unreal Game Engine, they also didn't need to rely on publisher funding to make games.

Adinnieken said:
adriane23 said:

Gran Turismo 5 did pretty well without DRM. And if Cliff needs a more recent example, how about The Last of Us? What a dumb ass.

PlayStation 3 games have DRM.  Disc-based games do not use an active DRM, but digital copy protection is a form of DRM.  Nevertheless, any DLC or games you've downloaded use DRM.

The Xbox One's DRM is active DRM, not because it is draconian, but because you can create groups of friends, assign games and DLC to those groups from your library, and they have instant access to the library you opened up to them.  To ensure you still want them to have access to it, when they're accessing your library or when you're accessing theirs, it checks to see whether or you or them still have access to the games you had access to an hour ago.  It checks those lists every 24 hours to ensure no changes have and to update any game library additions or deletions. 

If I buy a game on a disc, with the Xbox One I can play that game AND I can share it with a friend and they can play it too.  In single campaign, in co-op, or multi-player.  They have full access to the game.  If I go to a friends house, my entire library is available on his/her console.  If I have a game that's four-player, split-screen co-op, all four of us can play the game, the same way you can with the Xbox 360, the PS3, and the PS4.

If I want to trade in that Xbox One game, I can.  If I want to give it to a friend, I can.  They can be my next door neighbor, or they can be half-way around the world.  As long as my game is also available in their country, they can access a region specific copy of it.  So, what is draconian about it?

An Internet connection?  My Xbox 360 was connected to the Internet 24/7, 365.  As long as the console isn't doing a massive download while I'm playing a game online, I don't really care if it's phoning home to Microsoft.  In fact, if it does it after midnight, I'd be hippy skippy.  But I don't see how updates, be it software, or access/control lists are draconian.  Your average Anti-virus/Malware utility checks multiple times throughout the day to see if an update for the software or database is available.  Frequently these are large lists, often into the MBs, yet we persist in allowing them.  They're not considered draconian.  Windows Update requires a check-in every week, and once it downloads the updates forces you to wait before you can shutdown your computer.  Especially, if you haven't installed them before attempting to shutdown.  Yet, we don't consider this draconian.  

Sony installs a rootkit, that's not draconian DRM.  Microsoft requires an Internet connection and to use that connection to phone home at least once, every 24 hours, and that's draconian. 

When you start pointing a finger at people, just remember, you have three pointing back at you.  

Nothing in your post has anything to do with what I posted. But I'll indulge you a little.

1. You're wrong.

2. You're wrong

3. You're wrong

4. You're really wrong

5. You're right.

That's as much detail I'm willing to give to your post since it was a pointless post to begin with. For further details, please refer to the plethora of threads on this site, many other sites, and Microsoft's website.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

slowmo said:
mibuokami said:
Adinnieken said:

In a worse case scenario, let's say The PS4 gets hacked over the next year, and as a result the pirating of PS4 games becomes rampant.  Sony's passive DRM is compromised, disc copying possible.  Sony doesn't have a solution to this problem ready.  Developers and third-parties, seeing their work get stolen and distributed without their control implement various active DRM solutions.  Some stringent, requiring constant contact with the server and no offline play at all, others a bit more user friendly.  Some allow for resale, others don't.  Some allow for rental, other's don't.  Now the PS4 is no better or open than a PC and worse than the Xbox One.

Microsoft jumped the gun. Just like the PS3 and the Dreamcast, the tech / service they're trying to introduce is simply not what the consumer need or want anytime soon. The XboxOne should have been a next-next-gen thing.

I actually want a next gen connected consle designed to integrate with my internet connection so your argument there is incorrect.  Time will prove whose model is best but Microsoft aren't showing any signs of backing off from their push as they know what their roadmap is and have a clear vision for the future of their console.  Microsoft have so far lost zero market share as neither console has been released yet, try coming back 1 month after release and you'll then at least be able to use that "fact".

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

So you won't be getting an XboxONE any more since the just backed off completely from what you wanted??

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

IN YOUR FUCKING FACE, CLIFFY.

Around the Network

Now that MSFT has did a role reversal, I wonder if Cliffy B is going to /wrists.

Ahh man cliffy

Oops

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

wick said:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

So you won't be getting an XboxONE any more since the just backed off completely from what you wanted??

I feel much more at ease...

Did the military aimed bazooka's at them to change their terms

And Cliffy you smuck...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

Wow this is great, i cant wait to hear his comment