By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “You’re all being played” Bleszinski slams Sony’s lack of used game blockers as a PR tactic

CGI-Quality said:
Adinnieken said:
adriane23 said:

Gran Turismo 5 did pretty well without DRM. And if Cliff needs a more recent example, how about The Last of Us? What a dumb ass.

-pic

PlayStation 3 games have DRM.  Disc-based games do not use an active DRM, but digital copy protection is a form of DRM.  Nevertheless, any DLC or games you've downloaded use DRM.

The Xbox One's DRM is active DRM, not because it is draconian, but because you can create groups of friends, assign games and DLC to those groups from your library, and they have instant access to the library you opened up to them.  To ensure you still want them to have access to it, when they're accessing your library or when you're accessing theirs, it checks to see whether or you or them still have access to the games you had access to an hour ago.  It checks those lists every 24 hours to ensure no changes have and to update any game library additions or deletions. 

If I buy a game on a disc, with the Xbox One I can play that game AND I can share it with a friend and they can play it too.  In single campaign, in co-op, or multi-player.  They have full access to the game.  If I go to a friends house, my entire library is available on his/her console.  If I have a game that's four-player, split-screen co-op, all four of us can play the game, the same way you can with the Xbox 360, the PS3, and the PS4.

If I want to trade in that Xbox One game, I can.  If I want to give it to a friend, I can.  They can be my next door neighbor, or they can be half-way around the world.  As long as my game is also available in their country, they can access a region specific copy of it.  So, what is draconian about it?

An Internet connection?  My Xbox 360 was connected to the Internet 24/7, 365.  As long as the console isn't doing a massive download while I'm playing a game online, I don't really care if it's phoning home to Microsoft.  In fact, if it does it after midnight, I'd be hippy skippy.  But I don't see how updates, be it software, or access/control lists are draconian.  Your average Anti-virus/Malware utility checks multiple times throughout the day to see if an update for the software or database is available.  Frequently these are large lists, often into the MBs, yet we persist in allowing them.  They're not considered draconian.  Windows Update requires a check-in every week, and once it downloads the updates forces you to wait before you can shutdown your computer.  Especially, if you haven't installed them before attempting to shutdown.  Yet, we don't consider this draconian.  

Sony installs a rootkit, that's not draconian DRM.  Microsoft requires an Internet connection and to use that connection to phone home at least once, every 24 hours, and that's draconian. 

When you start pointing a finger at people, just remember, you have three pointing back at you.  

Why, then, would people be complaining if the PS4 and Xbox ONE are practically one in the same? 

You'll need to provide context.

Hardware wise, I think they are more similar than they are different. 

In terms of digital content, the only area where Microsoft and Sony are the same is in their policies as first-party publishers, and in their policies toward third-party publishers.  The problem is that Sony hasn't defined how it will implement an active DRM solution, nor it's features and policies regarding it.  By leaving it up entirely to the publisher, Sony is opening the door to disaster. 

In a worse case scenario, let's say The PS4 gets hacked over the next year, and as a result the pirating of PS4 games becomes rampant.  Sony's passive DRM is compromised, disc copying possible.  Sony doesn't have a solution to this problem ready.  Developers and third-parties, seeing their work get stolen and distributed without their control implement various active DRM solutions.  Some stringent, requiring constant contact with the server and no offline play at all, others a bit more user friendly.  Some allow for resale, others don't.  Some allow for rental, other's don't.  Now the PS4 is no better or open than a PC and worse than the Xbox One.

If we do the same worse case scenario with the Xbox One, nothing has to change.  If the Xbox One gets hacked, there are measures built into the system to restore it to original.  If a hacker persists, then there are measures built into the system to disable it without ever going online.  If somehow the Xbox One gets hacked and disables the two processes mentioned before, the active DRM built into the system ensures that content will only work if licensed to that user.  If somehow a hacker circumvents that process, another exists to verify that the content was activated and authenticated on that device. 

Nothing has to change on the Xbox One.  There are a number of security measures hackers would have to be able to circumvent that they won't be able to.  The first one is getting on the system at a root level itself.  The second is getting their software to run.  The third is getting license restricted content to run.

God forbid if the PS4 gets hacked because the house of cards will come tumbling down.

Around the Network

A High cost AAA game that is in development for 3 years or so will cost about 65million...

The price of a game is $59.99, subtract about $28 of that for Shipping/Packaging/Retailer Profit ranges and Each game sold = $32 in Sony/developer pockets... AAA rated games can easily sell 2-3million at full price if they are actually good games.

That's $64-$96 million USD in Dev+Publisher hands.

So on average, a AAA title with a large development cost of $65Million, will need to sell about 2 million at full price to break even. Any further sales are straight profit.

And this is for a game with huge development costs...like Uncharted or Halo.  And we all know those games sell at least 3 million at full price. It's a very hefty profit margin.

Cliff is talking out his ass because his favorite company is shit.

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Why do XBOX fans seem so shaky right now? Are they afraid that if Sony overtakes Microsoft next gen then all the trash talk from early current gen will be spewed back at them ten fold? Just buy the console if you're gonna buy it and quit trying to justify Microsoft's new policies.

Repost - Sorry

CGI-Quality said:

I can sum up your long post in one simple comment: you jump to too many conclusions. 

I asked for context.  You've offered none.

How do I jump to too many conclusions.  Start with one, then explain.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

What context do you want? You assume things could go wrong with the PS4. You assume things may look up for the X-One. You make it seem as if the PS4 and X-One are equal, when they are not. You give long, pointless responses and I was easily able to sum it up simply. 

It isn't my fault you don't like the response you got. 

The only assumption I make is that physical media will go away and that digital content will be the primary focus during this generation.  Other than that assumption, I have made no assumptions.  This is a natural trend, not just in gaming but across all entertainment platforms.  Print publications have by and large disappeared because of electronic editions, the majority of music is sold digitally.  The only two forms of mass entertainment that are taking up the digital transformation are console gaming and video.  The latter simply because the amount of space required is substantial, the former because of the consumer.

I proposed some "What If" scenarios, but those were not assumptions.  What if the PS4 gets hacked?  How will publishers react, especially if they're getting hurt by it?  What if publishers all enact their own active DRM solutions?  How will that impact the PS4 market and gamers?  If a developer or publisher used an active DRM that required you to be online the entire time you played the game, would you be OK with that?  What if it's a game you ABSOLUTELY must play?

I don't think either Microsoft nor Sony are in a particularly bad spot right at the moment.  Sony may benefit from Microsoft's position, but I'm fairly confidient it'll be short-term.  The reason is simple.  The benefits of going digital only and the features Microsoft is building into the Xbox One for that purpose, outweigh the negatives.

In the long-term, by being upfront about it's transition to digital content, Microsoft will be in a much better position by the end of this generation.  Simply because it's being upfront about where it is headed and where it's headed is where consumers will eventually want to be.  At some point, as with PSN and Multiplayer, Sony will have to make a policy change.  If the rest of the industry gets behind Microsoft, because Microsoft is already building the framework necessary for a digital future in gaming, where will that leave Sony or Nintendo for that matter?

badgenome said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

One thing that Japanese can learn from capitalist corporations is how to profit off of consumers while giving away as little as possible and holding people hopes in your hand. Look at Capcom, they are the direct example of an Americanized Japanese corporation. They have no soul and have been swindling gamers the whole gen.

um... wat. You don't think Japanese corporations are capitalist? You have some very strange ideas about capitalism, I have to say.

You're right, I should've said American corporations. My mistake.

Im never buying another one of this guys games. He's so anti-consumer it's not even funny.

Cliff Bleszinski

You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.

If the games can't make money, then Publishers need to be able to better manage their budgets. No one is asking for AAA 150Million dollar titles. All we want is good games and a high budget does not equal a great game. Before trying to blame the consumers for the industry's broken model, we should first look at the suits who put themselves in that position first. By the by...Fuck you Cliffy B, you're a superficial cunt

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

badgenome said:

Um... it would be exponentially worse PR to announce no DRM and then turn around and say, "Just kidding. DRM!" than to just announce DRM up front. Cliff is a dumbfuck.

They won't ever announce it, if they know what's good for them. Sony's PR machine became 50% less stupid when Phil Harrison defected to the other side.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:

They won't ever announce it, if they know what's good for them. Sony's PR machine became 50% less stupid when Phil Harrison defected to the other side.

He is so inept it isn't even funny. And by that, I mean it's really, really funny.