By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “You’re all being played” Bleszinski slams Sony’s lack of used game blockers as a PR tactic

The best answer to Cliffy B ravings is CD Project RED:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251049/the-witcher-developer-cd-projekt-red-opens-new-studio/

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:

In a worse case scenario, let's say The PS4 gets hacked over the next year, and as a result the pirating of PS4 games becomes rampant.  Sony's passive DRM is compromised, disc copying possible.  Sony doesn't have a solution to this problem ready.  Developers and third-parties, seeing their work get stolen and distributed without their control implement various active DRM solutions.  Some stringent, requiring constant contact with the server and no offline play at all, others a bit more user friendly.  Some allow for resale, others don't.  Some allow for rental, other's don't.  Now the PS4 is no better or open than a PC and worse than the Xbox One.

Don't use the piracy crutch, both the PS3 and 360 where hacked, and in the 360's case years ago and neither system suffer worldwide cascade failure, in fact it is barely noticeable in the key market and only appear as a fringe issue in under preveleged country were games can still cost far more money than the average joe can fork out.

And as of the obseletion of the physical medium? What rubbish, do you honestly expect physical medium to dissapear overnight? Look up the purchase habbit of Music and Movie in the US, there is a definite trend towards digital but even after Apple busted open the gate of digital dstribution all the way back in 2001, physical album is still the market leader over digital.

For the entire lifecycle of the PS4-XboxOne, it would be an extremely easy prediction to say that physical game is not going away... it will definitely become less dominate but in a decades time retail and physical game will still play a pivotal role in the success and failure of video games, you can count on that.

And as for Microsoft not being in a bad spot? Take a look back at the disastrous launch of the PS3, its predecessor was market leader but it came of the gate like a bag of limp noodle, no games, disatrous PR, shit services and an attitude that stank to high heaven. They eventually manage to claw their way out of a hole but the lost of market share was massive.

Given that the so call digital age XboxOne has received an equally disastrous round of PR bombing and is more expensive than the PS4 to boot, Microsoft is already having to fight an uphill battle to convince consumer that their product is a value-added proposition, the same shit Sony did and they were in a MUCH strong position with respect to brand name, I cannot picture them gaining market share in the short term, and in the gaming business the early adopter in the first few years matters.

Microsoft is not gaining market share with these stunts, they're losing them, Europe should have been the battle ground, with US being the home turf, but instead of taking the fight to Sony, MS is basically given half of europe the middle finger and telling them to buy the PS4, and on top of that, they have not produce the so call value-added proposition to entice these market, they're preaching to the US and UK only, the stronghold were they have been winning year after year, and despite this, they're loosing ground in the core demographic because they keep fucking up their PR with statement almost AIMED to infuriate core gamers.

Microsoft jumped the gun. Just like the PS3 and the Dreamcast, the tech / service they're trying to introduce is simply not what the consumer need or want anytime soon. The XboxOne should have been a next-next-gen thing.

mibuokami said:
Adinnieken said:

In a worse case scenario, let's say The PS4 gets hacked over the next year, and as a result the pirating of PS4 games becomes rampant.  Sony's passive DRM is compromised, disc copying possible.  Sony doesn't have a solution to this problem ready.  Developers and third-parties, seeing their work get stolen and distributed without their control implement various active DRM solutions.  Some stringent, requiring constant contact with the server and no offline play at all, others a bit more user friendly.  Some allow for resale, others don't.  Some allow for rental, other's don't.  Now the PS4 is no better or open than a PC and worse than the Xbox One.

Microsoft jumped the gun. Just like the PS3 and the Dreamcast, the tech / service they're trying to introduce is simply not what the consumer need or want anytime soon. The XboxOne should have been a next-next-gen thing.

I actually want a next gen connected consle designed to integrate with my internet connection so your argument there is incorrect.  Time will prove whose model is best but Microsoft aren't showing any signs of backing off from their push as they know what their roadmap is and have a clear vision for the future of their console.  Microsoft have so far lost zero market share as neither console has been released yet, try coming back 1 month after release and you'll then at least be able to use that "fact".

slowmo said:
mibuokami said:
Adinnicountriesn said:

In a woThat'ase scenario, let's say The PS4 gets hacked over the next year, and as a result the pirating of PS4 games becomes rampant.  Sony's passive DRM is compromised, disc copying possible.  Sony doesn't have a solution to this problem ready.  Developers and third-parties, seeing their work get stolen and distributed without their control implement various active DRM solutions.  Some stringent, requiring constant contact with the server and no offline play at all, others a bit more user friendly.  Some allow for resale, others don't.  Some allow for rental, other's don't.  Now the PS4 is no better or open than a PC and worse than the Xbox One.

I actually want a next gen connected consle designed to integrate with my internet connection so your argument there is incorrect.  Time will prove whose model is best but Microsoft aren't showing any signs of backing off from their push as they know what their roadmap is and have a clear vision for the future of their console.  Microsoft have so far lost zero market share as neither console has been released yet, try coming back 1 month after release and you'll then at least be able to use that "fact".

They are releasing the one in less countries than the 360. That's auto lose of market share.

And as for wanting an always connected console - good for you, internet consensus is a loaded proposition, time will tell which company made the right decision.

As for the last sentence. obviously not a "fact", just a prediction.

mibuokami said:
slowmo said:

They are releasing the one in less countries than the 360. That's auto lose of market share. 

At launch, they will launch in other countries later down the line so it's not an automatic loss of market share by any means.  Save your celebrations for actual figures.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
mibuokami said:
slowmo said:

At launch, they will launch in other countries later down the line so it's not an automatic loss of market share by any means.  Save your celebrations for actual figures.

Can you stop with the personal snipe? This conversation would be a lot more enjoyable without it. I don't celebrate MS 'losing ground' anymore than I celerate Sony 'gaining ground'. As it stands MS is launching the One in less country than the 360 and presumable the PS4 (which has a stated goal of all Europe and NA). That is a lose in market share, because it allows the PS4 to gain more traction. The PS3 had the same thing happen to it this gen when it launched late (entirely and not just via region) - it lost market share, how much they lose depends on how long they delay is, who knows? Maybe they will add more of Europe to the launch cycle, they did put a caveat down that the launch country is subject to change, we only have so much info to work with.

mibuokami said:
slowmo said:

Can you stop with the personal snipe? This conversation would be a lot more enjoyable without it. I don't celebrate MS 'losing ground' anymore than I celeration Sony 'gain'. As it stands MS is launching the One in less country than the 360 and presumable the PS4 (which has a stated goal of all Europe and NA). That is a lose in market share, because it allows the PS4 to gain more traction. The PS3 had the same thing happen to it this gen when it launched late - it lost market share, how much they lose depends on how long they delay is, who knows? Maybe they will add more of Europe to the launch cycle, they did put a caveat down that the launch country is subject to change, we only have so much info to work with.

This is the problem I have you see.  We have no information on numbers of launch units yet and specifically what regions.  We have no idea of the ACTUAL launch date yet for either console.  You're already trying to state your opinion will be a fact which given how far away the launch is and the information that is available its simply not possible to declare with any certainty.  Sony might be targetting Europe but lets see if they actually get the consoles out there before we start celebrating them outselling the XBO.  

Your post "That's auto lose of market share." was by no means correct in the assumption it was automatic as you do not have that information to make the claim. 

slowmo said:
mibuokami said:

Can you stop with the personal snipe? This conversation would be a lot more enjoyable without it. I don't celebrate MS 'losing ground' anymore than I celeration Sony 'gain'. As it stands MS is launching the One in less country than the 360 and presumable the PS4 (which has a stated goal of all Europe and NA). That is a lose in market share, because it allows the PS4 to gain more traction. The PS3 had the same thing happen to it this gen when it launched late - it lost market share, how much they lose depends on how long they delay is, who knows? Maybe they will add more of Europe to the launch cycle, they did put a caveat down that the launch country is subject to change, we only have so much info to work with.

This is the problem I have you see.  We have no information on numbers of launch units yet and specifically what regions.  We have no idea of the ACTUAL launch date yet for either console.  You're already trying to state your opinion will be a fact which given how far away the launch is and the information that is available its simply not possible to declare with any certainty.  Sony might be targetting Europe but lets see if they actually get the consoles out there before we start celebrating them outselling the XBO.  

Your post "That's auto lose of market share." was by no means correct in the assumption it was automatic as you do not have that information to make the claim. 

I have to specfically state that future speculation is opinion? come on man... :(

We have 2 statements from 2 companies

Sony: Launching throughout Europe and NA 2013
MS: Launching in 21 selected countries.

Whether Sony or MS is more successful in a specific country is up for debate - both has the oppurtunity to outsell the other; by market share I mean that base on the above, Sony is definitely standing to gain because MS simply isn't their to compete with them this year in certain part of Europe; MS's market share in those country just went from whatever % they could have potentially have to zero until they actually launch.

Certainly if later we find that Sony's definition of throughout Europe is 10 selected country instead of the of the entire freakin continent, I will happily admit being wrong.

We don't have a launch date but it pretty clear that both will launch by the end of this year. November for MS - probably early december for Sony given that they didn't confirm a month, that one month isn't gonna make a huge difference, as both will make the Holiday season, if MS decides to launch in other country in real quick succession during that period, again happy to admit being wrong.

And given you seem to have a problem because you believe my post regarding future sale of console is me trying to pass opinion as fact, the above is my opinion.

One Solution, reduce your damn development budgets!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

mibuokami said:

Certainly if later we find that Sony's definition of throughout Europe is 10 selected country instead of the of the entire freakin continent, I will happily admit being wrong.

And given you seem to have a problem because you believe my post regarding future sale of console is me trying to pass opinion as fact, the above is my opinion.

The bolded is the main point of contention, Sony haven't even confirmed their launch countries or shipped anything to them yet. 

My problem was I stated it wasn't automatically the case they would lose market share to which you responded I was wrong with your reasoning based on your opinion.  While I stated your analysis was incorrect because you didn't have the data and that we would need to wait, you then said that claim was false again based on your opinion.  I have no problem with people posting their opinion but you tried to debunk a reasonbale response which was that there was no way you could say Microsoft would automatically lose market share, especially given the current information available.