By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "An Unbiased Review" The Last of Us - A JayWood2010 Review

JayWood2010 said:
Chandler said:

So much hyperbole in this thread.

P.S.: Gameplay is not a 9

P.P.S.: Joel is sad that the game is such a glitchfest. Couldn't even restart encounter after this one and was stuck.

While I do agree that people are  exagerating about this game being a masterpiece it is still an amazing game without a doubt.  And yes I did encounter multiple glitches which I touched upon.  But i also had to take into consideration this may be the first game that I have played that actually got the zombies to be an actual threat and it is also one of the best TPS on the market.  It adds a sense of caution which you rarely see in games.  The glitches was also at a minumum. The story i have been going back and forth on on whether to give it a 9.5 or a 10 because it is a predicatable game.  The reason I opted out for a 10 is because maybe it was just me who was able to predict it and not everybody else.    The story was also extremely well written and with the added voice acting makes it one of the most memorable games to date.

Anyways, i hope that helps you on why i scored it the way i did.  

I have a hard time being immersed when while sneaking through a clicker infested spot, my teammates tumble all over the place, into clickers and everything. But it's all good, they are like loud ninjas or something. I am also not very fond of the trial and error nature of the game, because choosing the sneaking route can fuck you up royally in multiple places. I don't know what Naughty Dog thought when they decided it would be a good idea to implement events at the end of sneaking corridors where you are forced to fight, resulting in everybody you have sneaked past coming after you at once, making sneaking just not a viable option (especially at the school).

I also think the graphics are slightly worse than Uncharted 3, there are a lot of muddy texures, clipping errors and weird lightning.

Right now I am 70% through and I would rate this game a 8.7 because the story and the characters are very very good but in terms of gameplay, AI and graphics this game comes nowhere close to what has been shown beforehand. I hope the E3 TLOU is out the somewhere on some high spec PC. THAT game would have deserved the praise but the one that is on PS3 right now just doesn't cut it.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

Good review! What other games have you rated?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Chandler said:
JayWood2010 said:

I have a hard time being immersed when while sneaking through a clicker infested spot, my teammates tumble all over the place, into clickers and everything. But it's all good, they are like loud ninjas or something. I am also not very fond of the trial and error nature of the game, because choosing the sneaking route can fuck you up royally in multiple places. I don't know what Naughty Dog thought when they decided it would be a good idea to implement events at the end of sneaking corridors where you are forced to fight, resulting in everybody you have sneaked past coming after you at once, making sneaking just not a viable option (especially at the school).

I also think the graphics are slightly worse than Uncharted 3, there are a lot of muddy texures, clipping errors and weird lightning.

Right now I am 70% through and I would rate this game a 8.7 because the story and the characters are very very good but in terms of gameplay, AI and graphics this game comes nowhere close to what has been shown beforehand. I hope the E3 TLOU is out the somewhere on some high spec PC. THAT game would have deserved the praise but the one that is on PS3 right now just doesn't cut it.

I can understand that.  I never had a big issue but I understand your opinion.  And the parts you are talking about at the end I elieve they did that on purpose to make it more cinematic with him closing the coors and blocking them off.  I was able to sneak by everybody and then make a break for it to the door XD haha

Wright said:

Awesome review. You've progressed a lot since your first Unbiased Review!

And I need to play this game :(

I hope so.  I have been trying to improve it over time so hopeuflly i can continue to do that.

And yes you do :P

JayWood2010 said:
Chandler said:
JayWood2010 said:

I can understand that.  I never had a big issue but I understand your opinion.  And the parts you are talking about at the end I elieve they did that on purpose to make it more cinematic with him closing the coors and blocking them off.  I was able to sneak by everybody and then make a break for it to the door XD haha

I don't believe you when you say you didn't have the weak ai issue. I have seen 3 people play through the subway part 5 different times and it was always laughable how the companion ai handled this place. Every single time.

Also, I was not speaking about the part you are thinking of. I was talking about the part after the "boss" where you are in the school corridor and at the end there are 2 groups a 3 enemies who randomly happen to always wander in your direction no matter where you hide. I tried this part about half a dozen times, it's not possible without an open fight. It's a fixed event. And if you sneak your way up to this point you are screwed because everything comes crashing down on you.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I disagree regarding multiplayer and the graphics (though I wouldn't say they're the absolute best on PS3, but certainly up there with Uncharted 3). As for it being a "masterpiece", I agree with all who call it that. The title actually shows where others need to tighten up and the character models and acting just embarass most games (with few exceptions like the Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, and Heavenly Sword).

All-in-all, I'm nearly finished and would award it with a 9.7/10. Couple of glitches (though it's certainly not a "glitch-fest") and low-res textures, here and there, but a solid experience throughout and an easy contender for my GOTY.

I don't believe in perfection.  I think the story is a masterpiece because the writing, voice acting/acting, paired with the superb animations.  The gameplay while great is not a masterpiece though which is why i cant call the entire game a masterpiece.

The graphics are great when it comes to the main character models, but the world it's self is not as pretty as the characters and falls behind on games such as Crysis, Far Cry. Tomb Raider, and God of War Ascension.  

However the voice acting like you said embarrasses most games.  I think this is as close to hollywood as we have gotten and in fact i think the writing fits hollywood style perfectly. The only other game that I would say has a comparable voice-acting cast is in Far Cry 3 but even then it falls well behind the entire cast of "The Last of US"

Easily GoTY contendor.  I will say it has been my GoTY so far and I think it's only competion right now is Bioshock infinite.  I also want to say that it is now probably one of my all time favorite games.

..That picture has the old Hud from the E3 demo. Just thought I'd point it out.

Chandler said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chandler said:
JayWood2010 said:

I don't believe you when you say you didn't have the weak ai issue. I have seen 3 people play through the subway part 5 different times and it was always laughable how the companion ai handled this place. Every single time.

Also, I was not speaking about the part you are thinking of. I was talking about the part after the "boss" where you are in the school corridor and at the end there are 2 groups a 3 enemies who randomly happen to always wander in your direction no matter where you hide. I tried this part about half a dozen times, it's not possible without an open fight. It's a fixed event. And if you sneak your way up to this point you are screwed because everything comes crashing down on you.

I did have Ai issues lol  I wrote about it in the review.  I was just saying i didnt find it game breaking to me. Just an annoyance that takes me out of the immersion.

And ohhh I was talking about the hospital

Finally finished the game. Extremely happy with it how it turned out. Didn't face any bugs or glitches at all. Ran smoothly and beautifully so i feel sorry for those who are facing these.

The story and ending was not always predictable to me. I was thinking maybe they'll do some crazy stuff like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I did feel very uncomfortable towards the end and how it plays out. I attribute it to the powerful narrative and emotion the game induces.

Good job on the review Jay. I have a little problem with you taking points away because the multiplayer doesn't seem sustainable to you. It is like taking points away from Call of Duty for now liking Zombies mode. I respect that though since i was critical of Battlefield 3's single player component even when no one cares about it.

My views on the game match those of Jim Sterling. Yea him. He ended his review like this.

"There is more to The Last of Us than just combat and "emotional" story tropes. To touch on its setpiece moments, to detail its beautiful changes in pace, would be to spoil too much. It cannot be said enough, however, that Naughty Dog's new best creation is complete, and when I say complete, I mean it to pay the highest of compliments. I do not want more from The Last of Us: I do not need more. As the last line was uttered and the credits ushered in the close, I was done. The Last of Us had achieved everything it needed to achieve in order to provide me with everything I wanted.

And it ended perfectly. " Jim Sterling - Destructoid.

Great review sir! I also disagree about the MP part. And feel a LITTLE different about the "graphics" point but other than that. Very good review, yeah there were some VERY MINOR glitches here and there but it is FAR from a "glitch-fest". The gamelay, characters, immersion and story were AMAZING. And kept me into the game from start to finish. Easily my game of the year right now and it will take A LOT to top this one for me. Congrats again to Naughty Dog on yet another....masterpiece.

And again GREAT review!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

The MP is amazing and I completely disagree with the 7.5 on it. This MP is breathtaking, been playing for >20 hours. (Not to mention I don't agree on MP ever actually lowering the score of a game when the SP is as masterful as it is).