By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4 hours into The Last Of Us: impressions (no spoilers)

Tagged games:

arcelonious said:
Munkeh111 said:
7 hours in and I am really enjoying this game

I should say that playing on normal feels too easy. I don't have a huge amount of ammo, as that is impossible given the limitations on your inventory, but basically everything else is full.

I haven't tried it on normal, but I thought that the hard setting was fairly difficult.  I died countless times, and I always felt that I was low on blade parts to make shivs or explosives.  I just started replaying the game on survivor and the fact that you can't use Joel's hearing "radar" already ramps up the difficulty.

I am fairly sure you can use it, but it is just turned off by default

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
arcelonious said:
Munkeh111 said:

I haven't tried it on normal, but I thought that the hard setting was fairly difficult.  I died countless times, and I always felt that I was low on blade parts to make shivs or explosives.  I just started replaying the game on survivor and the fact that you can't use Joel's hearing "radar" already ramps up the difficulty.

Listen mode seems to be a toggle in the options menu for hard and lower, but the listen mode toggle disappears from the game options menu when you are playing on survivor (as well as melee prompts).  Enemies also seem to detect you much easier on survivor (have to feather the analog to sneak when enemies are close, whereas on hard, I could often crawl faster near enemies without being detected).

arcelonious said:
Munkeh111 said:
arcelonious said:
Munkeh111 said:

Listen mode seems to be a toggle in the options menu for hard and lower, but the listen mode toggle disappears from the game options menu when you are playing on survivor (as well as melee prompts).  Enemies also seem to detect you much easier on survivor (have to feather the analog to sneak when enemies are close, whereas on hard, I could often crawl faster near enemies without being detected).

Oh god that does sound difficult... I had planned a second playthrough on survivor, but now I'm not so sure I can cope

Munkeh111 said:

Oh god that does sound difficult... I had planned a second playthrough on survivor, but now I'm not so sure I can cope

Haha, yes, there's definitely a noticeable difference in difficulty in my experience.  It's going to take me far more sittings (and retries) than I did with my initial playthrough, that's for certain.

arcelonious said:
Munkeh111 said:

Haha, yes, there's definitely a noticeable difference in difficulty in my experience.  It's going to take me far more sittings (and retries) than I did with my initial playthrough, that's for certain.

I am getting through things a little too easy, not needing to use all the resources at my disposal

Around the Network

I totally agree with the points summed up. However I have a mate who feels Last of Us is overrated but loves the Uncharted series.... Both are compelling for me and take different approaches.

So a couple hours in now. At last! And so far it's as good as hoped. A bit slow but Ive just met Ellie so it's to be expected.

Onwards!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
So a couple hours in now. At last! And so far it's as good as hoped. A bit slow but Ive just met Ellie so it's to be expected.

Onwards!

It's not a fast game, but a very good game

12 hours in and I am amazed how it manages to shake things up. This is truly a great game, though I am still not placing it ahead of Uncharted 2, it might have crept ahead of the other 2 though (Jak makes things more complicated)

Munkeh111 said:
Conegamer said:

Onwards!

It's not a fast game, but a very good game

12 hours in and I am amazed how it manages to shake things up. This is truly a great game, though I am still not placing it ahead of Uncharted 2, it might have crept ahead of the other 2 though (Jak makes things more complicated)

Probably a fair assessment. But UC2 is damn good, I'd say Both games are arguably the best the PS3 has to offer.

4 hours in, dem clickers...that is all.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Andrespetmonkey said:

+ Great storytelling we all expect from ND.

+ Some of the best acting I've ever seen in a game.

+ Environments are bigger than Uncharted's (3-4x the size, multiple paths in many areas), exploration is encouraged (for loot mainly, though you may find a key that'll be used for a safe somewhere around the map for example).

+ You can stealthily take out enemies or go all guns, but you'll be punished for the latter (low ammo). Sometimes you can just sneak by. "Choice-based" combat is the term I've heard used for it, and is fitting. Stealth works better than in Uncharted, and you don't get multiple hordes of enemies like you sometimes do in Uncharted.

+ Survival/rpg elements like looting and crafting are well done and paired well with the bigger environments, but - aren't so in-depth.

+ Little notes and leaflets and stuff you may find really adds to the story, the personal anecdotes that collectively help tell you wtf happened are my favourites. 

+ Clickers are terrifying, not just because they're scary monsters, but because they whimper and cry when they don't see you which creeps me the fuck out, as does the clicking when they do see you... literally fuck that noise.

+ Enemies are smart. They'll flank you, they know when you're using guns or not and act accordingly, that kind of stuff. Maybe not as smart as initially thought, but still better than most games. 

+ Obviously, visuals are amazing. Somewhere inbetween Uncharted 2 and 3 so not the PS3's best, but I'm guessing that's due to the bigger and more complex environments. So a step down from UC3, but still a + because it's well justified and still looks damn good, best art direction ever for a post-apoc except for maybe enslaved.

+ Sound design is excellent. All sounds you emit vary very accurately depending on surface and sorroundings. The way bullets whiz, the sound of a dude being strangeled, the bashing of skulls etc. all make combat that much more intense. VA ofcourse is god-tier. Music is generally ambient, and it really adds to an already rich atmosphere. 

- Movement feels a little ice-skatey if you know what I mean.

- AI companions not as smart. They'll help you out a little by fighting if you get overrun or telling you where guys are, but they get in you way (albeit very occasionally) and the fact that enemies don't see them can break the immersion. I know this was done on purpose, but I wish they found a better solution. 

- Some aspects of the story are kind of cliched (protecting the cure).

- Relates to above: The opening sequence was well done, but felt a little derivative. I wasn't blown away and it certainly wasn't one of the best opening sequences ever like people are saying.

So basically, the game is fucking GOOD, and I can't wait to play the rest over today and this weekend. What did you all think? (plox no unmarked spoilers)

Dude.  Well written.  Agree with a lot of if not all of it.  I think the game was a little over hyped (what anticipated release isn't) but still VERY good so far.

I would add that some of the scavenging is tedious.  I wish they would have made it then when you have a bottle, other bottles don't glow.  Or when you have a brick other bricks don't glow.  Sounds trivial I know, but has pissed me off more than once when I run accross a room to find yet another f*&%@$#@ bottle.