By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBONE this is BIG! Pillaged from NeoGaf

“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently..."

So it's essentially something you can do currently (with physical disks and to an extent with digital content) except narrowed down to the ten people in your family group that have been on your friends list for 30 days. How is this a positive?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Necromunda said:
slowmo said:

Carry on downplaying guys, glad to know hypocrisy is alive and well. Sony made a statement about DRM and you all took it at face value. Several statements from Microsoft about this and they must be lying or withholding information. Yeah you don't look a little silly with that behaviour at all.

They have literally released barebone basic info on this feature, we don't know NEARLY enough about it to come to a concise, logical conclusion to how good it is or how exactly it operates.

Looking at everything from a logical standpoint, how most of the people are interpreting this makes no sense... It's literally too good to be true because the gaming industry more likely than not wouldn't allow it, due to how exestentially exploitable it is by the masses. Having a feature that lets you share games to 10 friends, anywhere, would quite honestly have the potential to cannabalize game sales in the industry, even if you can't all play the game at once.

And lets say this feature turns out to be just as good as everyone hopes it to be... Sony could easily impliment a feature such as this on the PS4 for digital downloaded titles. Sony has a similar game-sharing infrustructure already set up on the PS3, when looking at it's digital download stance. They would most likely just need some tweaks, and all it would need is a authentication system that would check the authenticity of the game every time you boot it up for instance, and the benefit on this is that they wouldn't compromise their DRM stance on physical copies of games. Best of both worlds in a sense, but of course this is pure speculation, which all of you are essentially already doing right now.

"Sony could easily impliment a feature such as this on the PS4 for digital downloaded titles."
Don't see any reason to bring up Sony in this..>This thread is about an Xbox One feature...

"They would most likely just need some tweaks, and all it would need is a authentication system that would check the authenticity of the game every time you boot it up for instance, and the benefit on this is that they wouldn't compromise their DRM stance on physical copies of games. Best of both worlds in a sense, but of course this is pure speculation, which all of you are essentially already doing right now."

The Xbox One feature is not specualation you can go the the official site and read all about it....claiming that Sony can just implement it..is trully pure speculation

Zizzla_Rachet said:
Euphoria14 said:

Okay, after reading different explanations from different people I came to one conclusion on how this works, if we are to trust what the support team said.

1. Gamer buys an XBox One.
  2. Gamer adds (10) people to his/her Family Group. This is called "Family Group" because it is looked at as how gaming functions within (1) household.
  3. These (10) people gain access to Gamer's entire library. However, they can't just play whatever they want, whenever they want. 
  4. When Gamer is playing a title (1) member of Gamer's Family Group can join in and play along with them. This is where the (1) at a time limit comes into play.
  5. If Gamer is playing no games the members of his/her Family Group are unable to play any of Gamer's games.
Out of the (2) scenarios I posted I believe this one to be the most realistic.

1.Ok gamer buys an Xbox One

2. OK Gamer adds (10) people to his/her Family Group. This is called "Family Group" because it is looked at as how gaming functions within (1) household.

3. ok These (10) people gain access to Gamer's entire library. However, they can't just play whatever they want, whenever they want.

4.Ok When Gamer is playing a title (1) member of Gamer's Family Group can join in and play along with them.This is where the (1) at a time limit comes into play.

5.WRONG MS olready confirmed that you don't have to be logged on to your gamer tag so that your family can access your games

In regards to #5, I believe they were talking about people accessing your library when playing on the main console. If the console has your main account and info on it with a valid game purchase then you're good to go on that console regardless of the gamertag used. I do think the same applies for someone who is only in in your "family group".

I am trying to find the exact quote.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Zizzla_Rachet said:
Necromunda said:
slowmo said:

Carry on downplaying guys, glad to know hypocrisy is alive and well. Sony made a statement about DRM and you all took it at face value. Several statements from Microsoft about this and they must be lying or withholding information. Yeah you don't look a little silly with that behaviour at all.

They have literally released barebone basic info on this feature, we don't know NEARLY enough about it to come to a concise, logical conclusion to how good it is or how exactly it operates.

Looking at everything from a logical standpoint, how most of the people are interpreting this makes no sense... It's literally too good to be true because the gaming industry more likely than not wouldn't allow it, due to how exestentially exploitable it is by the masses. Having a feature that lets you share games to 10 friends, anywhere, would quite honestly have the potential to cannabalize game sales in the industry, even if you can't all play the game at once.

And lets say this feature turns out to be just as good as everyone hopes it to be... Sony could easily impliment a feature such as this on the PS4 for digital downloaded titles. Sony has a similar game-sharing infrustructure already set up on the PS3, when looking at it's digital download stance. They would most likely just need some tweaks, and all it would need is a authentication system that would check the authenticity of the game every time you boot it up for instance, and the benefit on this is that they wouldn't compromise their DRM stance on physical copies of games. Best of both worlds in a sense, but of course this is pure speculation, which all of you are essentially already doing right now.

"Sony could easily impliment a feature such as this on the PS4 for digital downloaded titles."
Don't see any reason to bring up Sony in this..>This thread is about an Xbox One feature...

"They would most likely just need some tweaks, and all it would need is a authentication system that would check the authenticity of the game every time you boot it up for instance, and the benefit on this is that they wouldn't compromise their DRM stance on physical copies of games. Best of both worlds in a sense, but of course this is pure speculation, which all of you are essentially already doing right now."

The Xbox One feature is not specualation you can go the the official site and read all about it....claiming that Sony can just implement it..is trully pure speculation

I actually don't see anyway Sony can effectively copy this without going back on their previous statements of Disc based system and no DRM requirements. Sony may have actually snookered themselves by trying to leverage of the negativity around DRM as without DRM this type of Sharing System would be pretty much a non starter.

LurkerJ said:
slowmo said:
So if this turns out to be true you are all going to give credit for the amazing feature it is, yes? You're all saying its too good to be true, so its going to be nice to read all your praise.

Yes. I will back off and stop hating on the xbone. It is an awesome feature that MS omitted highlighting despite the wave of negativity they are getting hit with. Therefore, we are all skeptic. You don't think we the right to be skeptic?

You must of missed the Xbox One reveal where MS Talked about this weeks ago...

Around the Network
adriane23 said:

“It’s not ten different people all playing the game concurrently..."

So it's essentially something you can do currently (with physical disks and to an extent with digital content) except narrowed down to the ten people in your family group that have been on your friends list for 30 days. How is this a positive?

How can two people play one disc based game (Like the one's on PS4) on two diefferent console at the same time?

Euphoria14 said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:

1.Ok gamer buys an Xbox One

2. OK Gamer adds (10) people to his/her Family Group. This is called "Family Group" because it is looked at as how gaming functions within (1) household.

3. ok These (10) people gain access to Gamer's entire library. However, they can't just play whatever they want, whenever they want.

4.Ok When Gamer is playing a title (1) member of Gamer's Family Group can join in and play along with them.This is where the (1) at a time limit comes into play.

5.WRONG MS olready confirmed that you don't have to be logged on to your gamer tag so that your family can access your games

In regards to #5, I believe they were talking about people accessing your library when playing on the main console. If the console has your main account and info on it with a valid game purchase then you're good to go on that console regardless of the gamertag used. I do think the same applies for someone who is only in in your "family group".

I am trying to find the exact quote.

On your main console..your House hold...Your Xbox Live Gold gamer tag will not need to be logged on so that your games are playable and multiplayer games are also playable whilst your XBL Gold gamertag is logged off...

As far as cloud sharing you also do not have to be logged on to your XBL gold Gamer tag for the sharing feature to work

Zizzla_Rachet said:
SvennoJ said:

I doubt it. Assuming DLC can't be shared, why would you buy DLC for an essentially borrowed game.
I can see how it might get you addicted to a multiplayer game, so you might buy it yourself plus DLC to play together. But it will be detrimental to single player games, the Mass Effects, Tom Raiders, Bioshocks. Play the single player campaign from a shared copy and move on to the next game. Another nail in the coffin for single player, all according to plan, online connected ecosystems is what MS is after.

But the way they imply it it sounds like as long as the initail buyer still owns the game and you are a part of his Gamer tag family you will have access to any game that the library owner has...and one game can be played simultaniously my the master gamertag and a family list gamertag on a different console..if it really turns out this way..then Xbox One has an advantage over disc based gaming...

Yes and thus a disadvantage to game sales. If 2 can play simulteaneously from day 1 is true, that's potentially greatly reducing your day 1 sales already. And we'll get an even bigger move towards day 1 DLC, micro transactions and what not, all in support for the online services ecosystem. No wonder 'free' to play / freemium games are a part of the next gen strategy.

It will be great for my nephews, they get to play all my games for free (if I would buy one that is, the loss of actual disc ownership still stands in the way) It's great for MS too, more family members and friends will buy the console and pay for live to play shared games.
But what will it do for those 15-50 hour single player experiences?

VGKing said:
J_Allard said:
VGKing said:
It's a good feature but there are issues with it.

-Who wants to let your friends have access to your Xbox Live account? Even family members...
-These games will have to be downloaded to a system, so that will take forever for games such as MGS V which is likely to be 50GB.
-Only one person can play the game at a time. So this is useless especially for multiplayer games.

I think Microsoft knows this feature isn't really that great or else they would have talked about it in their presentation.

1. They don't have access to your account. This is actual game sharing, this isn't sharing like on PS3 where you literally hand your account over to someone else.

2. Of course they'd need to be downloaded.

3. As opposed to disc-based sharing, where when you give your disc to a friend not only can the other people in the group not access that game but neither can you. At least in this set up with one purchase you can play the game along with a friend.

The feature is amazing from the sound of it. Not surprised that you're downplaying it though.

1. Good.

2. Yeah, which is a hassle.

3. Only one person can play it at a time. Read the last paragraph in the OP. "The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time."

The feature would be amazing if it wasn't so complicated and hard to explain. Not surprisng you're praising it though.

2. Yeah, which is a hassle.

You are really showing your colors.  I guess it would be a hassle if your friend stay right down he street but for people who have friends and family that live in different states, citys or even countries, not only is this a great feature there really is no negative you can spin on it.

3. Only one person can play it at a time. Read the last paragraph in the OP. "The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time."

You read the last line.  One other person and YOURSELF.  That means I can buy lets say NBA 2K 2014.  My brother and I can play the game together against each other without the other having to buy another copy.  Sounds like a great deal to me.

Pretty nifty if it applies to XBLA titles too.