By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Calm down, MS policies are not that bad.

DJEVOLVE said:

I'm writing this because of all the article's posted non-stop seeming by people with Sony plastered all over their sig. Maybe just a coincidence.

Really ask your self, when is the last time I have not had internet? and if you have not had it, maybe you should be worrying about other things rather then gaming on $400-$500 systems.

How many software companies failed last gen due to Used game sales? And why didn't you see this coming?

Why do you think it's going to be that much different on PS4? Sony said they are leaving it up to game developers. So meaning most third party will require this.

Internet is the future. Google Fiber is making it's way around the U.S. and I can see it making massive leaps in the next 5 years.

You can borrow your friends games when your not using them, They also can't break your disc or lose your copy. you own your game forever, ever and ever. It

can't get broke. You just redownload it.

Anecdotal evidence: The only friends of mine who are having major issues, are the people that never buy games in the first place and when they do, it's used. My 20 year old brother doesn't have a issue with it, if he can afford internet, you can too.

Also lets be honest, most of you posting threads are just really flaming. Most of you never intended on buying xbox one.

If you are not going to buy it and never where anyway. Stop the doom threads. Go buy a WiiU. I own one, it's great. So lets just chill out with doomed/flame threads.

Internet is here to stay and google is going to make sure of that. Also lets have some positive feed back from Xbox fans, what policies do you like? what games? features? What about Illumi-room? and did anyone see it at E3? This is something I want to see a lot more on.

Also if you worried about privacy, Get up and unplug the Device after every use. It really is that simple. I highly doubt xbox is going to spy on you and why would they have to? Your phone has a microphone, camera, phone records, text records and your name is attached to it. If they where going to spy, it would be on your phone.

I agree with you many are arguing for the sake of arguing but on both sides. But here are my answers to your questions:

My internet has been on since December, when I moved house and was without any internet for 2 weeks. This said I jsut got back from holiday when I turned off my power. This is classed as no internet, what would the Xbone do during this time?

No companies would have gone out of busniess 'because' of used games (for there to be a used game the game has already been bought once), they go out of business because of piracy and bad money management. This is a guard against piracy, used games (even used CDs and used DVDs etc) is part of the entertainment industry and it helps keeps game retailers open. Removing a vital source of income for games retailers will mean you won't see any on the high street at all. I however like to buy games new at a reduced cost over used games.

PS4 will be different because it's infastructure is not dependent on a net connection, this has been said. However if EA were to enforce some kind of DRM based ondisc based games then you can be sure EA might lose a lot of business because of it. No one is going to buy a game you can't play at all.

Internet is the future, you are correct but whether internet if the future, it's not the now. Many around the world outside of the mighty US of A do not have good net connection.

The borrowing games thing has only just been clarified and even then it's not great, seriously just giving my disc to a mate is usually enough. As for breaking the disc, I don't think I've ever had an issue with that, I've had disc scratch before but because it was part of the way it all works, I wouldn't mind buying a new/used copy to replace it. Digital is great for that.

Not everyone can afford internet, you might say not everyone should therefore be buying a console or games. But this isn't about who can afford it or not, it's about who has it and what MS expects me to have. Even in the UK broadband is not truely available everyhwere and dialup is still used in some places and more remote locations.

What it feels like to many is either abandenment or anger at features which could affect the entire industry or them individually. Many never had an issue with the Xbone's power, the great games (Titanfall looks great) or it's Kinect features, they had an issue with the DRM yet to many this was an attack on the console as a whole, which it isn't.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

that ilumiroom looks pretty nifty,be great for a space cockpit or something

Above & Beyond

DJEVOLVE said:
Turkish said:
YES THEY ARE! Its unbelievable people are defending the online checks and used game policy, really unbelievable.

Even if I had a perfect connection which I and millions of others dont, the 24h check would still suck! I dont want to be restricted in any kind of form.

The feeling alone that I need to check in with MS every 24h to play my 60 euro game is putting me off, and so should it you.

Your phone checks in and if you don't pay your bill your phone is worthless. So you accept that.

WHAT? Ridicilous comparison LOL! Videogames never had to phone home every 24h to play them, phones were NEVER offline.

Cant believe you are actually comparing a console to a phopne.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/ubisoft-ceo-says-used-games-good-for-industry-6409608/
^ Interesting back pedaling here.

I would like to see hard facts in what you're saying.

I wonder what you'll concede to have taken away from your own rights once this proves not to be the problem and that the business model is still broken. But hey, go ahead, who cares about principles and rights anymore, no?

DJEVOLVE said:
sub-zero-TM said:
OMG! and yes it's that bad! i don't understand how can anyone support this console!? -_-

Have you ever owned xbox. All the time I have been here you have downplayed xbox. So when where you ever planning to buy it?

Yes my friend i owned 2 Xbox 360's one died on me and then later i got a slim 360 which i sold. When was i downplaying xbox? please tell me? i think you confused me with someone else. 

Around the Network

my problem with all this is what happens when the generation ends and the services are shutdown and you can no longer do your 24hour verification?

Better yet what happens if 10-15 years from now I want to play halo 5 - 7 and my xbox is busted so I buy a second hand console on eBay?

My biggest issue, draconian DRM aside is this:

Since we already know that Microsoft is using the 300K Azure servers to manage the whole online aspect of the console, and since even SP games have to go through the online checks, what happens when after this generation is over and Microsoft migrates the servers into the next generation or closes them down?

Do games become unplayable because it's impossible to do the online check? If even SP games will have some Cloud related features, will they also be unplayable once/if the servers close on the One?. Because none of this has been answered by Microsoft. For every explanation they've given, this particular issue hasn't been given any thought.

Imagine that you buy the One and about 50 games during the entire span of the generation, what would happen next? Would you be left with an unplayable brick and 50 games floating in limbo, unless microsoft decides to do B/C on the next gen, which is highly unlikely seeing that they never were B/C friendly (and completely un-B/C for the One).

I really hope that Microsoft addresses this issue, because I won't invest on a console and it's games if I don't know that they'll be playable in the future.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Cobretti2 said:
my problem with all this is what happens when the generation ends and the services are shutdown and you can no longer do your 24hour verification?

Better yet what happens if 10-15 years from now I want to play halo 5 - 7 and my xbox is busted so I buy a second hand console on eBay?

You will need to deal with it.

Wow

It's about the restrictions they put on everything you do. Can't disconnect Kinect. Can't not have it internet connected for more than 24 hours. Can't rent games or loan games to a friend (at least at launch). So many fucking restrictions just to play a game you bought... on a console you bought.

And then they lies... sigh : (

Cobretti2 said:

This is also my #1 concern. I still own games from my Atari 2600 that I can just plug into my TV and just play and that's from 30 years ago. But I believe if they decide to back track it could be easily fix by a simple patch.