By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - can SSBBrawl be the game that breaks open the Wii online community

It will probably do really well online, but it won't create a online wii community. I don't really see how it can be a community in utter silence, with no knowledge of who anyone is. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting smash day 1, and will play it online every night, but it's not going to have it's own online community. There will no doubt be a VGchartz Smash community, a gamefaqs community, a smashboards community ect. But without any actual online communication, and everyone but your friends being nameless, there won't be an individual online community within that game. If you want friends online in smash you have to find them somewhere else, and then play with them. The communities will have to create themselves in certain online locations seperate from smash or the wii.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
It will probably do really well online, but it won't create a online wii community. I don't really see how it can be a community in utter silence, with no knowledge of who anyone is. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting smash day 1, and will play it online every night, but it's not going to have it's own online community. There will no doubt be a VGchartz Smash community, a gamefaqs community, a smashboards community ect. But without any actual online communication, and everyone but your friends being nameless, there won't be an individual online community within that game. If you want friends online in smash you have to find them somewhere else, and then play with them. The communities will have to create themselves in certain online locations seperate from smash or the wii.

what he said.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

SSBB will do well online and hopefully get more people online, I doubt communities will be created, as the_vagabond7 said they'll need to create themselves.

well i think it can do it then MKwii will help it even more,but i think a mic will be needed

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Am I the only one who don't want a mic (rhetorical question, I've had people answer me a lot on this one)? I don't really like talking to the people I play online. At least I had a bad experience with it when I played Halo 3 at my friend's place. That might be bad luck though.

Of course, a mic would be great for friend matches, but 3rd party would add it on random battles too, and I don't really want that.

Think about it. Playing SSBB and co-op with a guy online. You're mediocre. He starts yelling at you "Freaking Moron! You're doing everything wrong, Idiot!" is that really what gaming is today? Wow, saying that made me feel old. But anyway, I prefer to play Super Smash Bra. X in total silence.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I don't see it as being a community thing either, but I do see it as being useful for getting in a solid game against a real person when you're feeling bored but can't get any friends over for a game. Just head online and hop on in a fight and you're set.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I don't mind the silence aspect, I hate mics for games too, namely because you can take an ordinary person, give them a microphone and a bunch of people they don't know, can't see, and will never see in their lives, and a competetive game and 95% of the time they just turn into a dick. A big huge dick. And that says nothing of teenagers, and people that are already dicks to begin with. So, I would prefer to smash in silence.

But it could use some kind of lobby, with chat function. That's all it needs to create an online community. It doesn't even have to be standard, you could still choose random smash. But also have an option to go to a series of rooms where you can chat, and make matches. It doesn't need leaderboards, like Sakurai said only the top 1% of people on the leaderboards even care, and I'm not going to go into the other problems leaderboards create. But a lobby, just a room you could pop into, maybe with your mii or something, talk about smash, then play a few rounds in silence with some cool people you just met, BAM online community created. That easy.

Nintendo is going with simplicity, they always do, and it will do what they intended. It will be super simple to pop online a play, and will be completely nonthreatening or bogged down by people that want to tell you about their sexual exploits with your mother in great detail. But an online forum wouldn't be that hard to do. If gamefaqs can create a heavily censored moderated forum, then surely nintendo could.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

well, SSBB will really open the doors and get more ppl to try the relatively underused online service now

If it had the simple option of making friends in random matches...like...you play against a good Smasher and want to play him again, so you can add him as a Wii Friend or something...I wish they had that. And then yes, a lobby so you can find games going on with a map you like, or friends you like, etc.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

SSBB and Mario kart, online comunity ful for Wii