By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Pre-Order Product Information

MoHasanie said:

Well at least they are completely honest with requirements. Also there is no mention of the TV functions? Have they made agreements with cable providers in all those countries listed??

And, what do they mean by this statement: 

Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

Does that mean the software will take some of the storage space as well, so  there will be even less than 500GB memory available? 

Well, both OSs do that.  However, the PS4 OS will probably only reserve maybe 10GB-20GB (just a guess).  MS saying SIGNIFICANT is very troubling.  I'm going to guess it may end up being closer to 80GB-100GB.  And considering the Xbox One's HDD isn't upgradable, I expect plenty of people to get pissed off when they realize how much storage they really have in the end.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
MoHasanie said:

Well at least they are completely honest with requirements. Also there is no mention of the TV functions? Have they made agreements with cable providers in all those countries listed??

And, what do they mean by this statement: 

Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

Does that mean the software will take some of the storage space as well, so  there will be even less than 500GB memory available? 

Well, both OSs do that.  However, the PS4 OS will probably only reserve maybe 10GB-20GB (just a guess).  MS saying SIGNIFICANT is very troubling.  I'm going to guess it may end up being closer to 80GB-100GB.  And considering the Xbox One's HDD isn't upgradable, I expect plenty of people to get pissed off when they realize how much storage they really have in the end.

Wow, that's terrible for Xbox 1 owners if the estimate is true. I suppose however, if you save all your stuff in the cloud then the lower memory won't be too much of a problem. Memory might actually be a bigger problem for PS4 owners. :S 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

alright, i was doing some math to see how many people will be able to buy a xbox one and play games on it. so i went to the german version of wikipedia and looked up the population of the lands where it will be available.

i haven't found good data about the average percentage of internet access in western countries, so i left out that.

land population
Australia 22.485.300
Austria 8.488.511
Belgium 11.035.948
Brazil 192.380.000
Canada 35.056.064
Denmark 5.602.628
Finland 5.429.894
France 64.667.000
Germany 80.334.000
Ireland 4.581.269
Italy 60.626.442
Mexico 112.322.757
Netherlands 16.680.000
New Zealand 4.445.000
Norway 5.063.709
Russia 143.300.000
Spain 47.212.990
Sweden 9.573.466
Switzerland 8.014.000
United Kingdom 63.200.000
United States 314.167.157

summary 1.214.666.135
world population 7.100.000.000

percentage 17,11%

So all in all, Microsoft only supports ~17 per cent of the world population, assuming everyone of them has internet.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.

Oh, wow. So they're going to data mine you 24/7, and you'll have no recourse against them no matter what they do. It just keeps getting better!

Gehirnkrampf said:

alright, i was doing some math to see how many people will be able to buy a xbox one and play games on it. so i went to the german version of wikipedia and looked up the population of the lands where it will be available.

i haven't found good data about the average percentage of internet access in western countries, so i left out that.

land population
Australia 22.485.300
Austria 8.488.511
Belgium 11.035.948
Brazil 192.380.000
Canada 35.056.064
Denmark 5.602.628
Finland 5.429.894
France 64.667.000
Germany 80.334.000
Ireland 4.581.269
Italy 60.626.442
Mexico 112.322.757
Netherlands 16.680.000
New Zealand 4.445.000
Norway 5.063.709
Russia 143.300.000
Spain 47.212.990
Sweden 9.573.466
Switzerland 8.014.000
United Kingdom 63.200.000
United States 314.167.157

summary 1.214.666.135
world population 7.100.000.000

percentage 17,11%

So all in all, Microsoft only supports ~17 per cent of the world population, assuming everyone of them has internet.

Lol, that's very poor reasoning and I know it was on purpose. That includes the largest video game markets. You're an intelligent guy, I've seen many of your posts and a lot of the time they're reasonable. Why post this rubbish?

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Gehirnkrampf said:

Lol, that's very poor reasoning and I know it was on purpose. That includes the largest video game markets. You're an intelligent guy, I've seen many of your posts and a lot of the time they're reasonable. Why post this rubbish?

It's the truth. i was bored and thinking of that, no one else did the maths, so i did it.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

badgenome said:

Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.

Oh, wow. So they're going to data mine you 24/7, and you'll have no recourse against them no matter what they do. It just keeps gettinge better!

I'm sorry how do you draw such conclusion ? I don't understand legal statements at all. Data mining involves what ?

FrancisNobleman said:

I'm sorry how do you draw such conclusion ? I don't understand legal statements at all. Data mining involves what ?

Data mining is collecting huge amounts of data and then sifting through it to discover patterns of behavior, for the purposes of, say, advertising. It's been speculated that this is a large part of the reason why Microsoft wants you connected 24/7, and why they want you to keep Kinect on 24/7. Also, the timing of the breaking of the PRISM story (US government demanding information about customers from companies, including Microsoft) couldn't be any worse.

The class action waiver part speaks for itself. They're saying you don't have the right to join a class action suit against them. This is pretty common, actually, and doesn't always hold up in court. I think Sony put this in their TOS after the PSN hack (equally funny, and equally unenforceable). But it's especially funny to see MS insisting that you agree to waive whatever rights you'll have left after they finalize the Xbone's policies.

Gehirnkrampf said:
ironmanDX said:
Gehirnkrampf said:

It's the truth. i was bored and thinking of that, no one else did the maths, so i did it.

PS4 is only confirmed to be launching in the US and Europe and you don't see us spinning anything like that. Fact or not. Give us a break. If the DRM is so bad, be happy the PS4 has an advantage instead of bashing our heads in every 2nd thread.

badgenome said:
FrancisNobleman said:

Data mining is collecting huge amounts of data and then sifting through it to discover patterns of behavior, for the purposes of, say, advertising. It's been speculated that this is a large part of the reason why Microsoft wants you connected 24/7, and why they want you to keep Kinect on 24/7. Also, the timing of the breaking of the PRISM story (US government demanding information about customers from companies, including Microsoft) couldn't be any worse.

The class action waiver part speaks for itself. They're saying you don't have the right to join a class action suit against them. This is pretty common, actually, and doesn't always hold up in court. I think Sony put this in their TOS after the PSN hack (equally funny, and equally unenforceable). But it's especially funny to see MS insisting that you agree to waive whatever rights you'll have left after they finalize the Xbone's policies.

In many countries, including Italy, one-sided contracts or clauses in favour of the strongest party and damaging the weakest one are automatically void.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!