By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are we in for another ps2 type gen saleswise ?

PS4 is the new PS2.

Yes 93 59.24%

No 63 40.13%

Total:156
Rogerioandrade said:
Definetely not. PS2 was cheap. The new consoles and games are expensive and casuals are not interested in them anymore. No more funky guitar games / easy motion games to keep them interested.Tablet/smartphone/pc gaming are on the rise again, while dedicated consoles sales are decreasing year after year.
I don´t think any of these 8th gen consoles will even reach 60 million units sold.

WHAT.

PS2 was only $100 cheaper than PS4. Not to mention that it came out 12 YEARS EARLIER. The games are also similarly priced (or exactly the same in many cases).

That whole point you're leaning on is completely useless. The other point you use has been discussed to death, and no-one really buys it anymore because console sales have only ever been increasing. And "casuals are not interested...anymore" is such a horrendously thought out point - when were casuals (god I hate that word) EVER interested in a console before or at launch!? NO, THEY BUY IT LATER.

(with the exception of the blue ocean Wii - which doesn't count in this context)

Around the Network

Not even close.

You all live in a small "hardcore gamer" bubble. X1 is already having ridiculous pre orders.
That being said PS4 may very well sell more units and I fully expect them to outsell MS globally. But it will be absolutely nowhere near the discrepancy seen during the PS2 era.

if microsoft sells just 3 consoles the entire generation they wont pull out the console race next gen

I expect another 100+ million selling console in the PS4. So yes, almost as the PS2.

I expect 120 million LTD.

BenVTrigger said:
Not even close.

You all live in a small "hardcore gamer" bubble. X1 is already having ridiculous pre orders.
That being said PS4 may very well sell more units and I fully expect them to outsell MS globally. But it will be absolutely nowhere near the discrepancy seen during the PS2 era.

So only hardcore gamers listen to the radio and read the news? I've heard nothing but negativity for the Xbox One all over the media, the backlash is from everybody, not just hardcore gamers.

I'm not sure if it would be a repeat of the 6th gen. If I was to make a prediction, I would say the final sales split would be 50 / 30 / 20 (Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft), as long as Sony keep up their game.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Not even close.

So only hardcore gamers listen to the radio and read the news? I've heard nothing but negativity for the Xbox One all over the media, the backlash is from everybody, not just hardcore gamers.

I'm not sure if it would be a repeat of the 6th gen. If I was to make a prediction, I would say the final sales split would be 50 / 30 / 20 (Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft), as long as Sony keep up their game.

Lol.

I think many here are in for a rude awakening come November. Less people are jumping ship than any people on the internet act like.

As I said PS4 will likely come out on top when all is said and done but it will be far from a blow out. At least in NA. Europe will favor PS4, X1 will be slaughtered in Japan, but NA will likely still go to X1. If not then it will at least be a highly competitive race.

The PS2 generation was a 1 sided slaughter. That is not happening again by any means.

If Sony made a deal with RockStar for GTA5: SA time exclusive it is PS2*2

Too early to tell, I would rather not jinx it.

I'm ready for that...

PS3 will sell close to 110 million... PS4 will outsell it and try to match PS2 level.

ethomaz said:
I'm ready for that...

PS3 will sell close to 110 million... PS4 will outsell it and try to match PS2 level.

PS4 is certainly in a MUCH better position than PS3 was and PS3 had quite a turn around and ended up being a successful console. PS4 should definantly top PS3 sales LT. And you could be correct in saying it will rival PS2 numbers.  Will be an interesting race.

The biggest factor being Price. That was a truly brilliant play on Sonys part.