By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 29th, 2007 NA

you now very well that the european market is very complicated and different from country to country. While spain has always been a difficult place for nintendo, france for example has always been much more in favour to the nintendo products. You can't conclude that there are wii's available in the usa because there are some in spain.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
I am from Spain in Europe and we have had the WIi in stores for two months at least now.Yes the same Europe Nintendo "couldnt " keep up with the demand .One thing is pure data ,the other is PR and marketing .Its important not to confound both .

Well, I'm from Portugal, and the fact an item is somewhat "in stock" does not mean shipped isn't very approximately equal to sold. The Wii as been "in stock" here since January, but the truth is when I went to buy mine in March, out of 7 stores in the mall, only 1 had them (and just 3 units). When we gave one as a gift to a friend last month, we had to delay the purchase, because when we actually went out to buy it, it was sold out, despite being wildly available just days before. The truth is, at least around here, the system is still moving fast, it is not like its collecting dust or something - I'd bet everything shipped, is sold within the week. And I guess that's why systems aren't moved to places where demand is even higher: the system keeps selling, the orders keep coming - just about everywhere. It'd be hard to believe any entire country is building stock while its neighbours are in a total drought.

Besides, as I'm sure you know the EU is very heterogeneous. In some places Sony sells, others are Nintendoland, and in the UK the Xbox is actually doing pretty good. Nintendo doesn't even represent itself across Europe, and even where it does, Nintendo Europe sucks. Actually, if anything, Portugal is not a Nintendo country, its Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't even market its products here, and the local representative does squat to push them.

European anecdotal evidence really has no bearing at all when discussing American data. Remmember that when the Wii numbers were scaled back, it was Europe that dropped from 2m to 1.7m. And as for the 360 numbers, I still think those are too low. I highly doubt there have been millions of units still stuffed everywhere in the supply chain for months. But still, I'm not complaining. You are - always pushing your beloved Sony.

PS: As an aside, could you please put your punctuation before spaces when writing english? I'm sorry, but I find your spaces before highly distracting.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Diomedes1976 said:
I am from Spain in Europe and we have had the WIi in stores for two months at least now.Yes the same Europe Nintendo "couldnt " keep up with the demand .One thing is pure data ,the other is PR and marketing .Its important not to confound both .

Well can you please ask Nintendo of Spain to send some of that stock to Sweden please...we don't get anything 

other than that I must agree that the numbers that went up last month wasn't that very good. But to be honest, this week 25k is actualy in line with march. 130/5 = 26k. Last month we also saw the release of Motorstorm, their isn't that much new coming out in april for PS3.

I don't know about if Wii has gone up or not, but their was statment from some gaiming company claiming that Nintendo was holding stock back, if that is true these numbers could be roughly right. The total for this april is so far = 236861, not totally impossible if Wii was supply constrained last month.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Diomedes1976 said:
ioi said:
Diomedes1976 said:
I dont trust the new weekly data . If this was to be believed the PS3 would dip around 100K for the month and the Wii would go to 400K .I doubt this is happening ,the PS3 has stabilized around 130K and the Wii is gradually lowering its sales not skyrocketing them . I predict a massive change of the american data of this site the same day NPD issues their numbers .

Diomedes, I don't mean to be rude but I find your posts more and more annoying. You seem to be on a constant vendetta to try and challenge the numbers on the site despite being continually proven wrong.

I don't understand your latest line of thinking - it has already been answered but I will re-iterate. Feb was a 4 week month for NPD, 130k sold average of ~32.5k per week. March a five week month, 130k average of 26k per week. Why would sales in April be expected to go back up? I think we'll be seeing NPD figures for PS3 in April of well under 100k and our figures are suggesting around 25k per week across all of NA at present. Wii sales were down at 50k for a few weeks (tracking very close to Japan sales) but larger shipments in the last couple of weeks have pushed sales back up. Again, this comes from the data we have been given and is also supported by anecdotal evidence - there have been large Wii shipments the last two weeks.

Pokemon DS and increased DS shipments, 360 Elite, PSP price drop. What exactly are you disputing here with the data?

Despite being continually being proved wrong ??

I doesnt want to be rude ,but I told you the weekly data for march  couldnt be like that and you had to massively change it after NPD released their data just two days later .You continue to tell me for Wii shipped=sold for every region when there is absolute evidence for me thats not true simply going to any store and seeing large groups of unsold wiis  .March was five weeks nominally ,but it had 30 days all the same.You have had to lower the X360 numbers at least 5 times .I would say you are proved continually wrong ,not me .At least you change the numbers once they real ones by NPD or media create  comes and thats good ,but dont play retroactive games with me not because you have the good data of march now you had it when you posted it (must I remember you the 366K X360 you attributed to MS for march?or the 400K Wiis ?) and with april it will happen just the same .You are saying the PS3 will drop way beyond 100K for april and the Wii approaching 350K-400K ,I am disputing you that claim just because its not what we have been seeing for last months with the PS3 stabilizing and the wii reducing its sales somewhat .I dont want to dispute with you but if this page will turn into a wii-fans comedy with the lower PS3 estimations possible for weeks and the higher for Wii I dont see the point posting until you put the definitive data(i.e until NPD gives their data ) .For example you had one of the latest weeks at PS3 18K consoles sold for many time ,with people posting about how bad that was ....then that data is fixed to 33K consoles for the week so nearly the double and all that posting  is absolutely futile .Whats the point arguing about speculative numbers that will be changed in two or three weeks in a significant way ?You told your sources could track about 2% of the market ,to see that kind of real-time data I could go always to the Amazon page and see how their articles are selling .I liked it more when you didnt play the analyst so much and sticked to confirmed data .

Are you trying to dispute that march NPD data was for 5 weeks?  What are you saying?  I realize March was a 30 day month but NPD tracks for 5 weeks, 1 of those weeks goes into april.  If you didn't know that, you need to stop arguing, because you're obviously uninformed.  PS3 sold 26k a week for march NPD on a 5 week, that means if it sold exactly the same for april it would sell 104k.  PS3 sales have gone down every month since launch, and it appears that will continue, plus in march PS3 had a couple major releases, and in april they only have an old game called F.E.A.R.  It is highly probable that PS3 will sell less than 100k.

The evidence is there that Wii shipments are up, from people saying that they see many wiis in the stores, and itrackr.  Plus the fact that Nintendo was obviously waiting for the fiscal year to be done before sending big shipments, it all makes sense. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Why numbers are in and latest predictions game isnt closed yet ?

Around the Network
Entroper said:

@DRJ - Despite my jests toward Sony, I think sales will pick up when their big titles are released later this year and early next year. Motorstorm may look good, but let's face it, it just doesn't sell a $600 piece of hardware. Once they have multiple big titles available, and I'm talking the big guns here, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy XIII, we'll see those PS3 shelves start looking a lot less dusty. Only after this wave of sales will Sony drop the price -- they'll want to ride the momentum of these releases and the 2007 holidays as long as possible to minimize manufacturing losses, then drop the price to build more momentum going into 2008.

The 360 is going to be difficult to catch in NA.  Halo 3 is coming this holiday season -- remember how many 360s flew off the shelves even amidst of the Wii and PS3 launches last holiday season?  Nintendo will definitely take the WW lead soon, but I think the battle for NA is going to go well into 2008, and there may never be a clear winner.

PS3 will get a bump from those games no doubt, 360 will from Halo, and Wii will from Mario and Brawl. I think a lot of that will cancel out.

But it will really come down to price. $600 is just not mass market, no matter what Sony says. I wont buy one. If it was $300 I would already have one, and several PS2 games that I missed out on.

Halo will sell big, but will it really move that many systems? Are that many people really waiting for Halo 3, when there are so many other FPSs available on 360 to justify the purchase (if you like FPSs)? Sure they will get a bump, but just not as much as everyone thinks imo.

I think it is just a matter of time before the Wii catches 360 in NA, but maybe not by Dec 31. Possible, but 360 is still selling well and I dont think Nintendo can up production too much too fast (or won't even if they could).

WW there is no doubt that Wii will catch up this year. With 360 only selling in 2/3 markets and Wii owning Japan it is only a matter of time, probably by October.

Diomedes1976 said:

Well. Im from Holland and they are all sold out!... You even have to wait like a month to get one cause they aren't available if you reserve now... You have to wait for the 2nd or 3th shipment after you reserve because of high demand!

THE NETHERLANDS

Numbers look good. High Wii and DS sales reflect high shipment and Pokemon respectively. Love the weekly estimates. Site improving little by little. Good Job guys.

Diomedes1976 said:

simply going to any store and seeing large groups of unsold wiis .

Well since your calling into question data for america, and since you don't live in America where are you getting the idea that there are piles of Wiis anywhere? I can't find any. I've been to 20 something stores, all sold out. I've called 8 stores that itrackr said had stock of Wiis and they didn't. I've challenged everyone on this site to post a store that has Wii stock. Just post the phone number so I can call and confirm this. No one at all has responded. If anything stores are holding stock for Sundays and selling out every single sunday morning. maybe, just maybe a few of these stores nationwide have two or three left over on monday and sell them within 24 hours. So they are selling out as soon as people find out about them. Stores won't even say if they'll have them in on Sunday, and many stores I've noticed are so tired of people calling about the Wii they actually answer the phone and up front say they don't have any Wii left. And I'm not talking about game stores I'm talking about Target. Shipped is as good as sold in America without a doubt.

Lets remember, diomedes is from Spain, and doesn't understand exactly how the American system of retail and tracking works. So what if spain has Wiis in stock? So does Russia. VGChartz numbers were rather close to Nintendo actuals once everything was said and done. Were there discrepancies? Absolutely. However, 100% of them involved Europe - a market that VGChartz does not track. Diomedes, if you honestly expected VGChartz weekly March info to match NPD, I must say, even as a mod, you are as dumb as they get. VGchartz is NOT a professional agency that has the resources NPD has. They are far from it. I knew that VG's numbers would be off quite a bit on many things, as they were. Why did the world come crashing down on VGChartz in march? Whatever retailers they are working with (I assume Gamestop/EB or similar specialty stores) are selling lots of Xbox 360, and various premo-titles. This was in conflict with casual stores that might not sell alot of 360s, and more Nintendo games and systems. Which can cause a major issue. Spain has Wiis instock? Great. But here in America, IF you can find a Wii, you can put it on auction on Ebay, and make a profit, even if you buy it at retail. Thats why VG always extrapolates Wii numbers very briskly, as they sell quickly here. This is also why VG had to down-cast their European estimates by around 300k. Of course, they are not at fault here because no one, aside from Chart Track and a few others, have solid numbers. Now, if VGCharts can ever get a weekly or monthly French, UK, German and Spanish chart, they will be quite a bit better. However, the infrastructure might not be there to have that kind of data for awhile. But we'll see.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.