By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 29th, 2007 NA

roadkillers said:
I dont get why it says pokemon only sold 500,000. On a site it said it sold over 1 million in 5 days. When was pokemon released?

22 april, vgchartz put in the last week with only one day or hours of release

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
no ps2 sales are still high i'm sure, this site doesn't appear to be tracking them (outside of god of war for some reason).

why the hell not ?

It only is the second highest selling console.

This is cool if it's accurate. It makes sense in the context of iTrackr's recent jump in Wii availability, it looks like Nintendo may finally be increasing shipments to the Americas.

Yea, Wii up 25k and still sold out, how high is the demand, I am really curious, but may have to wait months to actually find out. PS3 staying flat at 25k... Being outsold 7-1 in Japan and now 4-1 (and likely more as supply increases) might make Sony do something like I dunno, price cut.. Oh well. Looks like 48 weeks at this rate for Wii to catch 360 in NA. I think they will catch them by the end of the fiscal year (3/31/08). Maybe sooner depending on how much more Nintendo can up supply and what the demand really is at. Too bad SPM does not sell better. It is a great game, not sure why it isnt more popular. Oh well, I got my copy at least. And next month we will have Pokemon for the Wii. Not really my thing, but will likely move a lot of systems (assuming there are any left to move).

As predicted guys - Wii will do 350k-400k for month of April, and PS3 will get close to dipping below 100k. Just waiting to see what Sony says when the figures get out to the media... Sales for SPM are more than respectable. On target to sell around 320k in the first month (for one territory alone). Its on track to do 1.5-2m worldwide (over its lifetime - and maybe more). Its already outsold Motorstorm, and is heading towards Madden (the 2nd best selling PS3 title - behind Resistance).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:
Just waiting to see what Sony says when the figures get out to the media...

Well, obviously, they're still supply-constrained.

@DRJ - Despite my jests toward Sony, I think sales will pick up when their big titles are released later this year and early next year. Motorstorm may look good, but let's face it, it just doesn't sell a $600 piece of hardware. Once they have multiple big titles available, and I'm talking the big guns here, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy XIII, we'll see those PS3 shelves start looking a lot less dusty. Only after this wave of sales will Sony drop the price -- they'll want to ride the momentum of these releases and the 2007 holidays as long as possible to minimize manufacturing losses, then drop the price to build more momentum going into 2008.

The 360 is going to be difficult to catch in NA.  Halo 3 is coming this holiday season -- remember how many 360s flew off the shelves even amidst of the Wii and PS3 launches last holiday season?  Nintendo will definitely take the WW lead soon, but I think the battle for NA is going to go well into 2008, and there may never be a clear winner.

Got some Aussie numbers too - It's been more than a year since Microsoft launched its Xbox 360, five months since Nintendo debuted Wii, and little more than a month since Sony introduced its PlayStation 3. GfK recently released current sales figures, providing a new insight into the uptake of next-generation hardware in Australia. Despite the $1000 price tag, more than 36,000 consumers have snapped up the PlayStation 3, while 160,000 have bought into the Xbox 360. Wii sits somewhere in the middle, with at least 80,000 units having been sold around the country. Although Nintendo's given no indication of how many Wii owners are connecting their systems to the internet, Microsoft has said that more than half of their installed base in Australia has subscribed to Xbox Live, and Sony said their figure lies at about 35%.

OriGin said:
Got some Aussie numbers too - It's been more than a year since Microsoft launched its Xbox 360, five months since Nintendo debuted Wii, and little more than a month since Sony introduced its PlayStation 3. GfK recently released current sales figures, providing a new insight into the uptake of next-generation hardware in Australia. Despite the $1000 price tag, more than 36,000 consumers have snapped up the PlayStation 3, while 160,000 have bought into the Xbox 360. Wii sits somewhere in the middle, with at least 80,000 units having been sold around the country. Although Nintendo's given no indication of how many Wii owners are connecting their systems to the internet, Microsoft has said that more than half of their installed base in Australia has subscribed to Xbox Live, and Sony said their figure lies at about 35%.

Source?

I dont trust the new weekly data . If this was to be believed the PS3 would dip around 100K for the month and the Wii would go to 400K .I doubt this is happening ,the PS3 has stabilized around 130K and the Wii is gradually lowering its sales not skyrocketing them . I predict a massive change of the american data of this site the same day NPD issues their numbers .

Diomedes1976 said:
I dont trust the new weekly data . If this was to be believed the PS3 would dip around 100K for the month and the Wii would go to 400K .I doubt this is happening ,the PS3 has stabilized around 130K and the Wii is gradually lowering its sales not skyrocketing them . I predict a massive change of the american data of this site the same day NPD issues their numbers .

Huh? Why?

Last month was a 5 week period - this is a 4 week month. Based on last month's sales figures, the PS3 will just scrape in over 100k. I think this month will be a little weaker (been out for longer, less significant releases, etc..).

There have been lots of reports of large Wii shipments arriving - then selling out. I agree that its still an unknown - but its almost certainly a 300k+ month, and closer to 400k I would say. I don't think Pokemon/DS will hurt Wii sales either.

EDIT: Wii sales for last week were lower, so I wouldn't just multiply the sales for this week by 4... 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099