By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is about to win 2 generations in 1

Licence said:
think-man said:

New to gaming forums?

LOL, touche. Sometimes the stuff people come up with just make me cringe.

Haha like watching a lame comedy ^^

Around the Network

Won't happen before nexgen is well and truly underway (i.e. all nexgen consoles have been on the market for > 1 year, if at all. So even if PS3 does outsell Wii it will not really be a win. Wii sold the most when it counted. Though it did have a terrible end run. I think Wii will retain the 1 year sales crown for quite a long time. It's highs were so high, but at the same time as the leading current gen console (i.e. before Wii U) it's lows were too low.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:

But they'll never have a winning market share. If ps3 does make the distance, by the time it sells the most it will be a small corner of a market dominated by PS4 and Xbone.

winning market share is not the same as selling the most consoles total. because the last few years wii hasnt had winning market share, yet it still has the most sales

Wii was dominant during the 7th gen. Selling more once the 8th gen takes over isn't winning.

2011? will didn'y dominate and it wasn't 8th gen 2012? wii didn't dominate and one 8th gen console launched.  this year? wii is almost non existant and no 8th gen console will beat the ps3 or the 360 this year.

Selling the most consoles is winning regardles of what else is on the market. It's likely to still be the wii in the end, but it's possible that it coud be passed by the ps3 and a small possiblility the 360, though in the latter more likely to just pass in total software sold and not total console sales.

Selling the most is not a victory if you reach that number long after the next generation inherits the market, that's like the 2nd place runner passing the winner after the finish line.

no. it's like the first place runner stopping before the race is over. :)

you want to compare this to a race? set distance? set time? how about, run as far as you can until you can't run anymore?

people get so caught up in the metphores that they use the rules of the metaphores that dont apply.

Those sales still make money. You can bet if the wii was still selling well nintendo would not have dsiscontinued it.  You want a race metaphore? it ran a marathon like a sprint. It ran a relay but slowwed before passing the baton. It gave up.

Put whatever subjective rules you want to make youself happy by those results. That won't change that the ps3 might outsell the wii.

A generation is not a marathon though.

There's a window in which a set of consoles have primacy. That window closes once they are replaced, because after that the next gen becomes the focus and inherits the market. 

I fail to see why this thread has so many replies. Its so obviously clear what a gaming generation is:

7th: Wii, Xbox, Ps3. Wii is the winner. Ps3 migh or might never pass the wii. That is another matter and dont confuse it with generation winner. It will be a total console sales winner. And it will be archived with the rest: like ps2, N64, Dreamcast, etc.

8th: WiiU, Xone, Ps4.

And no, if u dont have companies that are active in generations u cant go and say: But i still wait the spiritual succesor of my Genesis!!! So Atari, Sega etc -------> GTFO

kitler53 said:
lulz. just lulz.

..with the new 360 model i wouldn't be surprised they take back the lead for a while.

I don't see how the new 360 model is going to change the tides in the Europe or Japan where most of the damage is being dealt. The only real question is whether the ps3 will be able to catch up to the wii, which is probable but unlikely.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:

Selling the most is not a victory if you reach that number long after the next generation inherits the market, that's like the 2nd place runner passing the winner after the finish line.

you want to compare this to a race? set distance? set time? how about, run as far as you can until you can't run anymore?

people get so caught up in the metphores that they use the rules of the metaphores that dont apply.

Those sales still make money. You can bet if the wii was still selling well nintendo would not have dsiscontinued it.  You want a race metaphore? it ran a marathon like a sprint. It ran a relay but slowwed before passing the baton. It gave up.

Put whatever subjective rules you want to make youself happy by those results. That won't change that the ps3 might outsell the wii.

There's a window in which a set of consoles have primacy. That window closes once they are replaced, because after that the next gen becomes the focus and inherits the market. 

when did gen 6 end? the launch of the xbox? the lauch of the ps3 and the wii? or when ps2 finally stopped outselling the xbox360 and ps3 (combined or not combined)?  Wikipedea considers it 2009. 4 years after the lauch of the 360 and 3 after the lauch of the ps3 and wii and says the ps2 sold long after the generation ended but much longer than right after the lauch of all the sucessors and when they were he "focus" of the market. and not only that though we don't just say the sales of the ps2 when the generation "ended" we compare the total sales.

sales are not a race they are sales the race metaphor is so bad because races have set distances to cover sales totals don't have that. Even generations don't have that. Just because a console hasn't lauched yet or stopped selling before the competition doesn't mean a generation hasn't started or has already ended.  generations aren't set like people generations either. they overlap for a few years usually.

businsses want more sales (not even getting into the losses the sony and microsft have taken) than less. fastes for a set period of time is nice but more in the long run is better. 

the 7th gen will end when it ends. It's not over beacuse you say it is. It's not over because the wii stopped selling. It's won't be over the day the xbox one launches. It will end after that.

The 7th gen is already over.

curl-6 said:

Wonktonodi said:

I really don't know why people need to add rules for when a gen ends. Or are you adding the stipulation of it's own successor now so SNES will be over genisis but ps3 can't pass wii?

The end of one gen and the start of another is a fluid affair. That fluidity just doesn't extend to years after all the consoles involved have been replaced.

the reason I got in here was because you said this generation is over.

I am glad I have gotten you to accep that they are fluid. Now I just hope to get you to see that it can extend for years if the sales determine it to.

Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:

when did gen 6 end? the launch of the xbox? the lauch of the ps3 and the wii? or when ps2 finally stopped outselling the xbox360 and ps3 (combined or not combined)?  Wikipedea considers it 2009. 4 years after the lauch of the 360 and 3 after the lauch of the ps3 and wii and says the ps2 sold long after the generation ended but much longer than right after the lauch of all the sucessors and when they were he "focus" of the market. and not only that though we don't just say the sales of the ps2 when the generation "ended" we compare the total sales.

sales are not a race they are sales the race metaphor is so bad because races have set distances to cover sales totals don't have that. Even generations don't have that. Just because a console hasn't lauched yet or stopped selling before the competition doesn't mean a generation hasn't started or has already ended.  generations aren't set like people generations either. they overlap for a few years usually.

businsses want more sales (not even getting into the losses the sony and microsft have taken) than less. fastes for a set period of time is nice but more in the long run is better. 

the 7th gen will end when it ends. It's not over beacuse you say it is. It's not over because the wii stopped selling. It's won't be over the day the xbox one launches. It will end after that.

Gen 6 ended when PS3 and Wii launched, just like the Gen 7 will end about a month from now.

Now you are back to set dates and not even fluid. I think you are just trolling me. Your definition has changed a few too many times. Already over dominant marketshare and now over in a month.
I do hope the ps3 outsells the wii so guys like you can see how long you last .correcting everyone who says the ps3 is the best selling generation 7 console

With a price cut and continued software&marketing support PS3 can make it. Now that no more Wiis are produced it's not impossible.