By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is about to win 2 generations in 1

11 or  12 years to crawl up to 110 million and possibly outsell Wii and PS1 and become the 2nd highest selling system of all time. 80 million in around 7 years a touch over 11 million sales per year. The PS4 will be released next month and that will slow sales down significantly of PS3 and possibly snuff out the chances of the PS3 selling over 100 million sales. 110 million is maximum sales stretch assuming PS3 sells 25 to 30 million in total over the next 4 to 5 years until it is discontinued. PS4 will be launched at an attractive sales point that will take sales away from PS3, XBox One and Wii U. 

Around the Network

Hyperbole much?

Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:

I really don't know why people need to add rules for when a gen ends. Or are you adding the stipulation of it's own successor now so SNES will be over genisis but ps3 can't pass wii?

The end of one gen and the start of another is a fluid affair. That fluidity just doesn't extend to years after all the consoles involved have been replaced.

I can see that in the case of one console selling for decades in the sence that it's not getting games suppoort or making up much of the market. but I think the 360 and ps3 will keep selling for a couple years and both will keep getting games for a while.

But they'll never have a winning market share. If ps3 does make the distance, by the time it sells the most it will be a small corner of a market dominated by PS4 and Xbone.

The PS3 sold 13 to 14.5 million in its last 3 peak sales years. PS3 may reach 10 million this year for the final time before petering out with diminishing yearly sales.
20 million break down over the next 4 years will be like 8, 6, 4, 2. Currently 3.7 million for the year away from reaching 10 million in a year for the last time.
Let's say 24 million sales to go from 80 million to 104 million.
If 5 more years it may sell 1 million in its 12th year and get to 105 million sales. 8,6, 4, 2, 1.

The release of the new PS4 will take sales away from the PS3 and the PS3 will be lucky to sell an extra 4 million sales over the remaining 10 weeks for 2013. Last year the PS3 sold near 13 million. 10 million with the launch of the PS4 towards the end of the year during the peak sales period will be a great effort.

curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:

I really don't know why people need to add rules for when a gen ends. Or are you adding the stipulation of it's own successor now so SNES will be over genisis but ps3 can't pass wii?

The end of one gen and the start of another is a fluid affair. That fluidity just doesn't extend to years after all the consoles involved have been replaced.

I can see that in the case of one console selling for decades in the sence that it's not getting games suppoort or making up much of the market. but I think the 360 and ps3 will keep selling for a couple years and both will keep getting games for a while.

But they'll never have a winning market share. If ps3 does make the distance, by the time it sells the most it will be a small corner of a market dominated by PS4 and Xbone.

winning market share is not the same as selling the most consoles total. because the last few years wii hasnt had winning market share, yet it still has the most sales

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:

winning market share is not the same as selling the most consoles total. because the last few years wii hasnt had winning market share, yet it still has the most sales

Wii was dominant during the 7th gen. Selling more once the 8th gen takes over isn't winning.

I thought this said Sonic is about to win 2 generations in 1, was like wtf?
But if you consider "winning" losing billions of dollars and maybe perhaps just breaking even in a few years for the 7th generation of consoles than woohoo! YEAH SONY! Just need to sell 23 million more PS3's and the celebration can commence. Otherwise hats off to Nintendo and Microsoft for being able to obtain a profit this generation.

Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:
The 7th gen is already over.

You see what actually happened is.. The Wii was running out of fuel when it was ahead in an on-going race. So it basically had to lift the white flag when the audience is still in there watching eagerly. Some people would consider it a winner, and some wouldn't.. Nintendo sacrificed the fuel capacity for early years acceleration and this is the result.

But you're arguably at fault, because you think it's up to Nintendo and not the people (audience) to decide when the race (generation) ends.

The Wii did not surrender or fall short, it had a normal console lifespan of 5-6 years.

A sales generation does not end until Sony says so. So long as the PS3 is still selling and pulling the back on the Wii and pulling ahead of the XBox 360 in the 7th generation, the 7th generation sales war will continue on. This is definitely an example of the tortoise and the hare: PS3 being the tortoise ad the Wii being the hare. The Wii has fallen asleep and the PS3 the tortoise continues on until the finish line.

curl-6 said:
Wonktonodi said:
curl-6 said:

Wii was dominant during the 7th gen. Selling more once the 8th gen takes over isn't winning.

2011? will didn'y dominate and it wasn't 8th gen 2012? wii didn't dominate and one 8th gen console launched.  this year? wii is almost non existant and no 8th gen console will beat the ps3 or the 360 this year.

Selling the most consoles is winning regardles of what else is on the market. It's likely to still be the wii in the end, but it's possible that it coud be passed by the ps3 and a small possiblility the 360, though in the latter more likely to just pass in total software sold and not total console sales.