By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is about to win 2 generations in 1

PDF said:
Raze said:

You do realize that the 2 other links just refer back to the engadget one, and that one only states that the PS3 might be profitable with the change of the processor.  You still haven't provided a valid article to refute the matter. Give me ONE relevant article from the media that directly states that the PS3 is making a profit, and how much of a profit per console is being made, and I'll agree that the PS3 is selling profitably on hardware alone. (As we know that they are making a profit via software licensing, that's common knowledge)

If you don't feel like doing the legwork, that's fine too. Then you can just reflect back to my original point on this matter, where Hiken suggested that the PS3 could sell at $150/unit and still turn a profit on hardware alone, and I disagreed. There's a certain pricepoint that Sony will not sell the PS3 below, and I believe that the $199 limit is as low as they'll go this generation.

Or you can refer back to the OP, and my statement on it - PS3 won't outsell the Wii LTD, in which we can revisit this in 2 years time.

Or I just call you out for being wrong on the PS3 selling for a loss.  This is what you said "It's not news that Sony loses money per console sold."  Do you still stand by that?  I don't care about the rest of your argument.

I already povided you a link from IGN but here it is again. http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06/28/ps3-profitable-price-cut-unlikely  This clearly shows the PS3 is not LOSING money per console sold.

This is from the Media, coming from an interview directly from Sony.  Quote direclty from Yoshida "This year is the first time that we are able to cover the cost of the PlayStation 3,"   So we know in  June 2010 they were breaking even.  If you really want to stick to the fact that you don't believe they have lowered cost since then enough to offset the price cut then I cannot find an atricle to prove you without a doubt wrong.  I would hope this is where simple logic would come into play.  You on the other hand have not proved that they are losing money, post June 2010 where they stated they are breaking even.  

I also provided three different links fully aware it was one source.  I just liked how those other articles put into words better.   They made it more clear to show why the previous estimate by Wall Street Journal  were no longer true. 

Once again, I am not arguing against anything but the face the PS3 is currently being sold at a profit.   I do apologize for derailing the thread but the OP doesn't seem to mind.

You still haven't posted a link that actually states any numbers relating to any margin of profit. That's all I really care to read from you at this stage. When you find a link with some real numbers, post them. That will be the next thing I reply to. No description, no long post to go with it, just the link.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

only time will tell

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Sony has a long road in front of them to conquering anything...even if the ps4 does become profitable sony still has to dig themselves out of huge hole...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/business/global/10iht-sony10.html?_r=0

HikenNoAce said:
scottie said:

Search through my post history, and you will find dozens of responses to the exact same point. I am sick of bothering to provide evidence. If you claim that the sky is green, I will respond with "no, of course it's blue". If you follow it up with "prove it". I am not going to bother to get a camera, go to the window, and take and upload a photo. If you want me to believe that the sky is green, you had better have some good evidence.

I'm trying really hard to picture a scenario in which this will happen:

1) Obviously, the first requirements are Nintendo and MS both leave the console business, which I am finding hard to believe.

2) It would also require the PS4 to completely fail, which is VERY unlikely, especially if we point 1 comes true.

3) Even the 2 above would probably not be enough - it would require not only the main competition to fail, but also the PS3 to have some big system selling games. They currently have nothing that can push the sort of numbers that you are predicting, but I suppose if Nintendo leaves the console (and handheld) businesses, they might end up making some games for the PS3.

Help me out here, I would really like to believe that you have reasons for this level of confidence in the PS3.

1. No. They don't have to. The PS3 just needs to keep on selling, which it will do just like the PS1 and PS2 did after their respective successors came out.

2. See my point above.

3. Not necessarily. What system sellers did the PS1 after the PS2 released? And yet, it sold 25M. What system seller did the PS2 have in 2008 and onwards (Persona 4 alone isn't enough to justify the 25M+ sales)?

The point is that PS systems will continue to sell when their successor comes out because of the emerging markets and but also because of a lower price point. And you'd be delusional to think that the PS3 will stay $270 until it is discontinued.

At the end of the day, there is nothing that backs your statement.

Reasons PS1 and PS2 are different to the PS3

1) They had around 75% market share, not 30%.

2) They were cheap to manufacture using fairly standard components, meaning that they could be sold profitably at low prices.

3) They had amazing exclusive 3rd party

Reasons why the PS1 and PS2 are similar to the PS3.

1) The name starts with PS.

So yeah, simply saying that the PS3 will have legs because the PS1 and PS2 did is as likely to be right as people that were sayign the PS3 was going to dominate its gen because the PS1 and PS2 did.

The PS3 is nothing like the PS1 and PS2, thus you can't simply assume it will follow their patttern.

Turnign to point 3. You have already identified the reasons the PS2 continued to sell after PS3 release, so the PS2 didn't need exclusives. It could sell just off yearly EA/Activision games because. The PS3 can't do that, because it lacks all the advantages the PS1 and PS2 had.

As for persona selling 25 million (or indeed any) consoles. The highest selling game in the franchsie is under 1M sales. I'm going to pretend you didn't say that.

So to summarise:

*It can't be sold cheap like the PS2, because it has the cell, and is the most powerful of its gen, where PS2 was the (2nd including DC) least.

* It doesn't have the market share to guarentee it gets annual releases such as GH, CoD, Fifa for as long as the PS1 and PS2 did.

* It has no system sellers left (exclusive, big games, with no previous game in the franchise already on the console)

Well, would you look at that? The weekly sales showing that PS3 sales are still damn strong. When is it going to stop decreasing the gap with the Wii, guys?

Around the Network

20 million unit difference, and Wii production has ceased. I don't imagine that the Wii will send more than 1 million more units in its lifetime. Can Sony bridge the gap?

Sony sold 12 million units in 2012, and has sold 6 million YTD, with at least another 3 million units to go the remainder of the year (based on estimate of 300k per week for remaining 10 weeks).

That will leave Sony short by at best 17 million units to start 2014.

I can't imagine that Sony will sell more than 9 million PS3's in 2014 (probably much less actually), which on a best case scenario leaves Sony short by 8 million units to start 2015, its 10th and probably final year on the market. I personally don't see how Sony can catch up.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Cheers to PlayStation Nation when this happens! :D

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

catofellow said:
20 million unit difference, and Wii production has ceased. I don't imagine that the Wii will send more than 1 million more units in its lifetime. Can Sony bridge the gap?

Sony sold 12 million units in 2012, and has sold 6 million YTD, with at least another 3 million units to go the remainder of the year (based on estimate of 300k per week for remaining 10 weeks).

I can't imagine that Sony will sell more than 9 million PS3's in 2014 (probably much less actually), which on a best case scenario leaves Sony short by 8 million units to start 2015, its 10th and probably final year on the market. I personally don't see how Sony can catch up.

Wii still going to sell another 2 maybe 3 million lifetime, dont under estimate holidays

catofellow said:

Nice bump.

Anyway I see PS3 finishing the year at 84 million. It did 5 million last holiday without any big exclusive so 4 million this year is reasonable.

Next year Sony sells 8 million, year after that 6 million, then 4, 3, 2, 1, and a discontinue in 2019. Thats 107 by my faulty prediction.

The PS3 will outsell the 360 when this gen when its over and done with

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3