By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is about to win 2 generations in 1

PS3 still costs quite a bit for such a well aged console.
just think when its at 149.99 bundle or 99.99

They will milk it till the last drop, few more years of that to come.

Around the Network

It's unknown what will happen with the PS4 but the PS3 has a good shot of outselling the Wii, especially with a price cut.

well I hope sony can make some profits with the ps4...

PDF said:

You won't get anywhere with him.  Its often the individuals yelling at others for being fanboys are the ones in denial.  Despite providing an article with Shuhei Yoshida himself quoted as saying "This year is the first time that we are able to cover the cost of the PlayStation 3," back in 2010 and the PS3 only having a price drop of about $50 in three years.  He will refuse to listen and instead yell at anyone opposing his beliefs calling them fanboys.  He is the definition of a hypocrite.

Raze's links are weak - providing outdated numbers, speculation or articles talking about playstation division that has nothing to do with the PS3 cost per console.  His last link sent to me nowhere said they are still losing money on every PS3 sold.  It only argues that a leading with a loss strategy is bad.  We all knew the PS3 and 360 were originally sold at a loss.

It's common knowledge for a while the PS3 has been sold at a profit.  He will beleive what he wants to believe.  Good luck

So, true. He couldn't come up with a single good argument.

It's not going to outsell the Wii. Sorry.
But yes it has won second last, Microsoft is in last but at least give them some credit for where they came from. The original XBox was a awesome beast but no ways could it match PS2 sales levels. Sadly MS dropped a "place" because it outsold Gamecube I believe (Correct me If I'm wrong).

It's just that simple.

Around the Network

Can we seriously drop this. When you set unrealistic expectations for something, it then leads to dissapointment when it inevitably doesn't meet them.

If you set reasonable expectations, then you are happy if and when they are met.

The PS3 did well, and the PS4 will do fine too. Isn't that sufficient?

PDF said:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2010/04/29/ps3-is-finaly-turning-a-profit/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/sony-ps3-upgraded-with-cooler-45-nm-rsx-graphics-chip-profits-a/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-3-finally-turning-a-profit-on-each-console-sold/

You can yell fanboy at me all you want, it doesn't stop you from being wrong.

You do realize that the 2 other links just refer back to the engadget one, and that one only states that the PS3 might be profitable with the change of the processor.  You still haven't provided a valid article to refute the matter. Give me ONE relevant article from the media that directly states that the PS3 is making a profit, and how much of a profit per console is being made, and I'll agree that the PS3 is selling profitably on hardware alone. (As we know that they are making a profit via software licensing, that's common knowledge)

If you don't feel like doing the legwork, that's fine too. Then you can just reflect back to my original point on this matter, where Hiken suggested that the PS3 could sell at $150/unit and still turn a profit on hardware alone, and I disagreed. There's a certain pricepoint that Sony will not sell the PS3 below, and I believe that the $199 limit is as low as they'll go this generation.

Or you can refer back to the OP, and my statement on it - PS3 won't outsell the Wii LTD, in which we can revisit this in 2 years time.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

scottie said:
Can we seriously drop this. When you set unrealistic expectations for something, it then leads to dissapointment when it inevitably doesn't meet them.

If you set reasonable expectations, then you are happy if and when they are met.

Unrealistic expectations? Thanks for backing up your post.

HikenNoAce said:
scottie said:

Unrealistic expectations? Thanks for backing up your post.

Search through my post history, and you will find dozens of responses to the exact same point. I am sick of bothering to provide evidence. If you claim that the sky is green, I will respond with "no, of course it's blue". If you follow it up with "prove it". I am not going to bother to get a camera, go to the window, and take and upload a photo. If you want me to believe that the sky is green, you had better have some good evidence.

I'm trying really hard to picture a scenario in which this will happen:

1) Obviously, the first requirements are Nintendo and MS both leave the console business, which I am finding hard to believe.

2) It would also require the PS4 to completely fail, which is VERY unlikely, especially if we point 1 comes true.

3) Even the 2 above would probably not be enough - it would require not only the main competition to fail, but also the PS3 to have some big system selling games. They currently have nothing that can push the sort of numbers that you are predicting, but I suppose if Nintendo leaves the console (and handheld) businesses, they might end up making some games for the PS3.

Help me out here, I would really like to believe that you have reasons for this level of confidence in the PS3.

scottie said:

Search through my post history, and you will find dozens of responses to the exact same point. I am sick of bothering to provide evidence. If you claim that the sky is green, I will respond with "no, of course it's blue". If you follow it up with "prove it". I am not going to bother to get a camera, go to the window, and take and upload a photo. If you want me to believe that the sky is green, you had better have some good evidence.

I'm trying really hard to picture a scenario in which this will happen:

1) Obviously, the first requirements are Nintendo and MS both leave the console business, which I am finding hard to believe.

2) It would also require the PS4 to completely fail, which is VERY unlikely, especially if we point 1 comes true.

3) Even the 2 above would probably not be enough - it would require not only the main competition to fail, but also the PS3 to have some big system selling games. They currently have nothing that can push the sort of numbers that you are predicting, but I suppose if Nintendo leaves the console (and handheld) businesses, they might end up making some games for the PS3.

Help me out here, I would really like to believe that you have reasons for this level of confidence in the PS3.

1. No. They don't have to. The PS3 just needs to keep on selling, which it will do just like the PS1 and PS2 did after their respective successors came out.

2. See my point above.

3. Not necessarily. What system sellers did the PS1 after the PS2 released? And yet, it sold 25M. What system seller did the PS2 have in 2008 and onwards (Persona 4 alone isn't enough to justify the 25M+ sales)?

The point is that PS systems will continue to sell when their successor comes out because of the emerging markets and but also because of a lower price point. And you'd be delusional to think that the PS3 will stay $270 until it is discontinued.

At the end of the day, there is nothing that backs your statement.