By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is about to win 2 generations in 1

PDF said:
Raze said:

Then why are there more here from 2012 saying otherwise?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118856-Sony-Losing-Money-on-PSP-PS3

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/sony-loses-312-million-to-start-off-2012-playstation-loses-45-million/

Also, your posted article only talks of the hardware upgrade, that it "might turn a profit in the near future", but is merely a hypothetical statement about future PS3 sales. They never turned a profit like the article said, because they lowered the price to combat the XB360 price drop.

I know I'm not going to get you to understand the reality of this. It's truly a case study of the Allegory of the Cave.

Did you even read the articles you posted.  They are talking about the game division and not the PS3 directly.

Here you go.  http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06/28/ps3-profitable-price-cut-unlikely   - That was back in 2010 when the PS3 was selling at $299.  You are crazy if you think Sony is not making a profit on PS3 sold three years later.  With thier financial problems they are without a doubt selling it at a profit and will not make any cuts if it risk that.

Raze said:

Stop nitpicking, you know we're talking globally. I'm sure the console sales in Istanbul aren't going to help Sony much in making up that deficit between the PS3 and Wii. 

I don't know if PS3 will pass the Wii or not(personally kind of doubt it), but places like Istanbul is exactly where Sony has become good at selling their old stuff.  They do very well selling to Second and Third world countries.  Its places like this where the PS2 did a good portion of their sales after the PS3 launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-14-playstation-2-ships-over-150-million

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/110214_e.html

Bolded is in line with one of my points earlier, which sums up my side of the discussion.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
HikenNoAce said:
mii-gamer said:

The Wii demolished and destroyed  the PS3 in sales when the 7th generation was the most relevant. That is a fact. You said it yourself, this is a race. The 7th gen race will end when all the next gen console arrive. The Wii came in first, Ps3 second, and xbox in last place. Simple and it is common sense,  i don't see why we should wait for the ps3 to catch up to the Wii. Why should we wait 2-3 years to declare the winner especially when the necxt race is about to begin. What makes sony so special? Why should we give them special consideration? 

No one will care if it does. Not sony, nor  Microsoft, nor Nintendo, nor any developers, nor any publishers. Just .001% of the community grasping for straws.

Wii won just accept and move on

Don't care. If when all is said and done the Wii isn't the console with the highest number of units sold then it lost. It's that simple.

Its just so funny when people are so desperate to grasp at something as little as.... "2018" Omg PS3 passed the Wii!!! Sony won that generation that was over in 2013, 4 or 5 years ago!!! Time to celebrate!!!! 

Oh and if you wanna get technical the DS won this generation by a landslide at 153 million+ and will eventually overtake your PS2 as the best selling console of all time but let me guess your reply... "BuT ThaTs r a HaNdhElD it noT cOUnt!!11!!" Console is a console is it not?

You have a good day sir and stay thristy my friend.

Sony is SURELY going to take the next generation, but the PS3... i'm not sure.

PDF said:
Raze said:

Bolded is in line with one of my points earlier, which sums up my side of the discussion.

I was just letting you know that you were wrong on the PS3 still losing money per console sold.   Never took issue with anything else other than your sources not arguing the point you previously made. Which was "It's not news that Sony loses money per console sold." which is inacurate.

After slamming the other guy for not being able to accept reality.  My question is can you admit you were wrong?

Considering you jumped into the end of the conversation, you should scroll back and look at my original links, which directly talked about the PS3 still losing money per unit sold, articles dated in 2010. In 2010, if you read the articles, the PS3 had managed to shrink their loss down to about $18/unit, when it was sold for $299. Currently the PS3 can be bought for about $240.  if the hardware cost the same to produce, then the deficit per unit would be approx $75 lost per unit. The unanswered question, which there seems to be no documentation on either side of the argument, is whether the cost of materials lowered enough to undo that $75/unit deficit. Thus, there currently is no way to prove nor disprove whether the PS3 is still selling at a loss, at least not until Sony releases new information on the topic, which there seems to be an absolute absence of in the past 2-3 years. S, am I wrong? We can't prove nor disprove that.

I can only provide speculation in the arena of computer hardware. I know that the price/cost of RAM hasn't changed much in the past 3 years, as it was already being produced at ridiculosuly cheap prices. Sony took ownership of the the Cell manufacturing plants from Toshiba in 2010, so its possible the processor end of things got cheaper.  Hard to say what the end result is, however, analysts and the media alike have made it known that the consoles are selling at a loss. Here's an example, from earlier this year - http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/xbox-360-and-ps3-losses-total-8-billion-ex-sony-employee-paints-grim-future/

At the end of the day, I personally couldn't care less. I'm too old for all the fanboy BS, and eventually you'll be there too, and realize that the only thing worth defending is your family and your constitutional freedoms. The OP seems to think that the waiting game is going to make a difference. In the eyes of the gaming world, the media and anyone within earshot of either of those, the era of the Wii/PS3/360 comes to an end this holiday season.  In 5 months, this generation of gaming will end to the masses, and the book will be closed.

Raze said:
PDF said:
Raze said:

I was just letting you know that you were wrong on the PS3 still losing money per console sold.   Never took issue with anything else other than your sources not arguing the point you previously made. Which was "It's not news that Sony loses money per console sold." which is inacurate.

After slamming the other guy for not being able to accept reality.  My question is can you admit you were wrong?

Considering you jumped into the end of the conversation, you should scroll back and look at my original links, which directly talked about the PS3 still losing money per unit sold, articles dated in 2010. In 2010, if you read the articles, the PS3 had managed to shrink their loss down to about $18/unit, when it was sold for $299. Currently the PS3 can be bought for about $240.  if the hardware cost the same to produce, then the deficit per unit would be approx $75 lost per unit. The unanswered question, which there seems to be no documentation on either side of the argument, is whether the cost of materials lowered enough to undo that $75/unit deficit. Thus, there currently is no way to prove nor disprove whether the PS3 is still selling at a loss, at least not until Sony releases new information on the topic, which there seems to be an absolute absence of in the past 2-3 years. S, am I wrong? We can't prove nor disprove that.

I can only provide speculation in the arena of computer hardware. I know that the price/cost of RAM hasn't changed much in the past 3 years, as it was already being produced at ridiculosuly cheap prices. Sony took ownership of the the Cell manufacturing plants from Toshiba in 2010, so its possible the processor end of things got cheaper.  Hard to say what the end result is, however, analysts and the media alike have made it known that the consoles are selling at a loss. Here's an example, from earlier this year - http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/xbox-360-and-ps3-losses-total-8-billion-ex-sony-employee-paints-grim-future/

At the end of the day, I personally couldn't care less. I'm too old for all the fanboy BS, and eventually you'll be there too, and realize that the only thing worth defending is your family and your constitutional freedoms. The OP seems to think that the waiting game is going to make a difference. In the eyes of the gaming world, the media and anyone within earshot of either of those, the era of the Wii/PS3/360 comes to an end this holiday season.  In 5 months, this generation of gaming will end to the masses, and the book will be closed.

Stop, just stop. Did you read the link that I posted - dated after your 2010 article - that says that the PS3 is now turning a profit on each system sold? That was the latest we heard from Sony about the matter so it's a status quo unless we hear otherwise.

Around the Network

I hate to interfere but the Hiken guy is right, Sony is finally making profit with the PS3 console since 2010.

HikenNoAce said:
Raze said:
PDF said:
Raze said:

Stop, just stop. Did you read the link that I posted - dated after your 2010 article - that says that the PS3 is now turning a profit on each system sold? That was the latest we heard from Sony about the matter so it's a status quo unless we hear otherwise.

Sounds good, we'll ignore that they dropped the price $60 since then, as long as it works in your favor. See you in 2 years on this topic, we'll see if your prediction holds up.

Raze said:

Sounds good, we'll ignore that they dropped the price $60 since then, as long as it works in your favor. See you in 2 years on this topic, we'll see if your prediction holds up.

1. Actually, it was a $50 price drop and that happened 1.5 year after it was reported that they were making a profit on each system.

2. They actually increased the price to $279 after the PS3 slimmer was announced.

3. The cheapest SKU I am finding on Amazon os $299 and GameStop is $279. It comes bundled with games but they are old games and are digital only.

4. You can pick up that $279 Gamestop bundle for $288 at EbGames in Australia. Given the negligible price difference, and that historically, consoles cost much more in Australia, it is fair to say that Sony can afford to drop the PS3 price to about $199.

Conclusion: Given that they were making a proft at $299 back in 2010, I'm sure that 3.5 years later they can afford to drop their price a bit from their $279 bundle.

Watch as they announce a price drop at the end of the year or early next year.

HikenNoAce said:
Raze said:

1. Actually, it was a $50 price drop and that happened 1.5 year after it was reported that they were making a profit on each system.

2. They actually increased the price to $279 after the PS3 slimmer was announced.

3. The cheapest SKU I am finding on Amazon os $299 and GameStop is $279. It comes bundled with games but they are old games and are digital only.

4. You can pick up that $279 Gamestop bundle for $288 at EbGames in Australia. Given the negligible price difference, and that historically, consoles cost much more in Australia, it is fair to say that Sony can afford to drop the PS3 price to about $199.

Conclusion: Given that they were making a proft at $299 back in 2010, I'm sure that 3.5 years later they can afford to drop their price a bit from their $279 bundle.

Here's the cheapest I found, was quoted $239+ tax, or $259 once you click the link from Google shopping. http://www.walmart.com/ip/24269969?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

and that's with 2 games, from what the bundle reads. I believe we got on this topic because you think they can drop to $150 US, and I said they'd probably just stop making them by that point. So we're on two sides of the situation here, and we won't know the answer for another year or two. So there's really not much else to add, but to wait and see.

Raze said:
HikenNoAce said:
Raze said:

Here's the cheapest I found, was quoted $239+ tax, or $259 once you click the link from Google shopping. http://www.walmart.com/ip/24269969?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

and that's with 2 games, from what the bundle reads. I believe we got on this topic because you think they can drop to $150 US, and I said they'd probably just stop making them by that point. So we're on two sides of the situation here, and we won't know the answer for another year or two. So there's really not much else to add, but to wait and see.

And how much is it when you include shipping? And I'm seeing Dust 514 and Uncharted 3. That's digital as well so it doesn't drive up the price of the bundle. On top of that Dust 514 is F2P.

So, $259. That's priced $40 less than what they were making a profit on more than 2 years ago. And we don't know whether the same bundle is available in a physical store.