By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Speculation on PS4 Release Price/Date

I know there's a lot of nay-sayers still, (most likely due to bitterness cause by Xbox1 news) but I do believe that Sony is in a great position to do fantastically well this generation. It appears they have dialed in on all the right things. While we still don't know the price, or date, or specific policies concerning things like DRM/Used games, you can trust that Sony will do all they can to maintain this "momentum lead" with E3 and through to their launch of the PS4. Seeing everything negative that has come from what MS has done, they will not do anything of the sort unless they HAVE TO. But I don't think they HAVE TO, this is MS's and/or the big publisher's doing. Doesn't matter who started it (MS or EA/Activision) the fact is they are supporting it and mandating it out of choice not necessity. They are choosing to alienate their install base because of greed, plain an simple. Sony needs money worse than any of these companies, but they know how to get it the right way.

So, do I think that Sony is poised for greatness this generation? Yes. Do I think they will dominate the market over MS and Nintendo? If priced right, YES! They have a proven track recorded for "bringing the games" and that doesn't look to be changing. Their biggest blunder with both the PS3 and the Vita, has been pricing. If they get pricing right with the PS4 from the start, they WILL dominate. If they have to keep the price "up their" to launch, they will still do extremely well, but it will slow their dominance momentum. Either way, it's Sony's lead to loose at this point.

I personally think the best (realistic) launch price scenario would be  $349.99 (PS4 only)  and  $449.99 (PS4/Vita Bundle) with the release date being in the Aug-Sept 2013 window. This would ensure they get to market before MS by enough of a window that would either; A) Be a sufficient head start on Xbox1 to nab up some eager potential X1 next-gen buyers.  B) May even cause MS to hold back their launch for Q1 2014. Here's why I think that. MS won't want to look like they are getting to the next-gen party 3 months tardy (launching in the likely window of November 2013 as currently expected). Also with most of their games most likely needing more time in development they would have a better launch lineup. Not to mention their rumored manufacturing woe's. So if Sony were to jump the gun with their release just a little, and move it up to August or September instead of mid Novemeber, it could possibly give them a half a year head start on MS (and we all saw what that did for MS this gen)

The logic is sound. That's what I'm expecting to see from Sony, but what do you think? Possible or unlikely?

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

Around the Network

November 3rd week.

449-499 models.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Your expected prices are way too low. They'd be bleeding money out the anus for years. No. The PS4 will have to start at $799. As for the PS4+Vita bundle...

$999

Trunkin said:
Your expected prices are way too low. They'd be bleeding money out the anus for years. No. The PS4 will have to start at $799. As for the PS4+Vita bundle...

$999

The prices you have listed clearly are a joke. Have you ever seen anything from the console makers bundle for those prices? EVER?!? No. $799 and $999 are ridiculous. The prices I've listed are realistic, and consumer grabbing, while not being so low as to brake the bank. Off the shelf parts, and huge savings on R&D make the prices I've mentioned VERY realistic.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

$399 for the basic SKU and $449 with larger hard drive and a game.

Around the Network

349$ model and a 399$ model

$349(Console and controller) Model and $449(PSeye + Bigger HD).

RenderMonk said:
Trunkin said:

$999

The prices you have listed clearly are a joke. Have you ever seen anything from the console makers bundle for those prices? EVER?!? No. $799 and $999 are ridiculous. The prices I've listed are realistic, and consumer grabbing, while not being so low as to brake the bank. Off the shelf parts, and huge savings on R&D make the prices I've mentioned VERY realistic.

lol, I was joking about the prices. I do think your estimates are a tad low, though. According to the rumors, for $350 they'd be seling the console basically at cost, not including assembly, shipping, retailers cut, etc I'm thinking the basic model(500gb) will be more like $400-450 at least. The Vita allegedly costed just under $160 dollars to manufacture at launch, and they were barely breaking even by selling it for $250. Giving it away with the PS4 for only $100 would be suicide. You can't even buy a used 3DS for that price. If they do have a Vita+PS4 bundle, I'm guessing it'll retail for $599 with a years PS+ or something. It'd actually stilll be a pretty good deal for what you're getting.

Anytime in November is fair game, although they can start as early as September in at least one region.

As for the price, it really depends on how they want to sell this thing. I can imagine the starting price being anywhere from $350 to $500 depending on the hard drive's size and what's included in the box. Conversely, a $1000 upper tier bundle with the Vita, 2 controllers, PS Plus subscription, a big hard drive, etc is also entirely possible.

If I honestly had to guess:
*Second week of November in Japan
*Third week of November in America
*December in Europe
*Three skus at launch
*$400 cheap sku with minimal extra hardware and no game
*$500 upper sku with a bigger hard drive and a game
*$700 for a super deluxe bundle that comes with a Vita, the larger hard drive, a game, and PlayStation Plus membership

Yes, I honestly believe there will be a very expensive sku involving the Vita. Sony's pushed that thing enough already to make a bundle seem logical.

Love and tolerate.

I'm calling a 320GB for $399.99 and a 500GB for $499.99