By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Speculation on PS4 Release Price/Date

platformmaster918 said:
RenderMonk said:

For those that are saying it's release is sure to be November and the price estimates are too low....Think a bit about it before posting your response. Sure we can all regurgitate what the industry is predicting, and what historical norms are pointing us to guesstimate. I'm asking you to think about it, and make a logical argument for why it will be DIFFERENT from what everyone else is already saying.

November makes the most sense as far as a "safe bet" is concerned. But the Aug/Sept release and why (as mentioned in the original post) shows some thought provoking alternative. That's what I wanna see from you guys. Wow me with some original thought and some intellectual predictions, that's aren't such safe bets (in line and agreement with industry norms), but aren't ludicrous off-the-wall stabs in the dark. Sony KNOWS they have to change things up. Just look at what they did with a reveal event in Feb....And with not showing the actual hardware yet... Both things that people didn't see coming, and yet have worked out really well. Why do you think that is? Think about it and respond. Sony is trying to break the mold, even if just by a little. That's why I'm predicting what I am. Not because it's 100% sure-fire, but because it falls in line with their mold-breaking strategy so far.

They won't release in August.  I don't think any console has released in August.  They'd have nothing but their first party stuff because 3rd parties wait till September (normally October) to start the bulk of their releases.  I think we should hope for October.  That's when PS2 launched and it helps to get the early wave out of the way before BF gobbles up another gazillion units.  If you release the week before you get more demand than you have supply which isn't great because you're missing out on holiday or early adopter sales.  Get the initial wave out of the way in October.  September would be great and there's an outside chance.  I think PS1 released in September so it's not out of the question.

My favorite reply so far. Thank you. Some actual thought relayed with reason. Good point, about why it will be October (If I were being honest, that's the month I see it coming, but I'm still being optimistically logical about August/September) August is probably too soon, onyl reason it would happen, would be to get as many people to buy next-gen while it's the only one on the market. But most likely Sony won't have enough units manufactured by that time, so Aug is probably out. :(  Now September on the other hand, still very viable. They have plenty of first party that they could throw at it, with some of the 3rd party games that are said to only be PS3/360, but could be next-gen as well. Then whilst Sony finished more 1st party software, the big 3rd party hitters can step in and pick up the "Software slack" so the PS4 doesn't see a game-lul like the Wii U is seeing now. And, let's not forget Sony's push for Indie. What's to say they don't have a slew of Indie games to release during those first few months, stuff to keep us busy with the few 1st party that will be out until that all important 3rd party November month. Releasing in Sept. would also allow them 2-3 months to get fresh inventory on the shelves for the holiday.

Lastly, to further adhere to my initial logic, of Sony trying to break the mold a little, and shake things up, who's to say they don't do something no console has ever done, release in Aug/Sept.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
I think there's only going to be one hard drive size at the start and the eye will be included in every box. Then there will be a vita bundle and maybe a VR bundle if they announce the HMD they are working on.

You think HMD already? It has to be out next year so they can match Microsoft, but for launch? That seems quite ambitious, given there haven't been any leaks hinting at it.

To be honest there hasn't been many leaks coming from the Sony camp for e3 this year. Tomorrow is going to be great. Besides Sony already has HMD for sale. They could strip out all the extra junk we don’t need and put it in a new form and bam there it is. They would be wise to jump the gun on MS on this. That way it's MS playing catch up and not Sony

Otakumegane said:
November 3rd week.

449-499 models.

^^^This

RenderMonk said:

My favorite reply so far. Thank you. Some actual thought relayed with reason. Good point, about why it will be October (If I were being honest, that's the month I see it coming, but I'm still being optimistically logical about August/September) August is probably too soon, onyl reason it would happen, would be to get as many people to buy next-gen while it's the only one on the market. But most likely Sony won't have enough units manufactured by that time, so Aug is probably out. :(  Now September on the other hand, still very viable. They have plenty of first party that they could throw at it, with some of the 3rd party games that are said to only be PS3/360, but could be next-gen as well. Then whilst Sony finished more 1st party software, the big 3rd party hitters can step in and pick up the "Software slack" so the PS4 doesn't see a game-lul like the Wii U is seeing now. And, let's not forget Sony's push for Indie. What's to say they don't have a slew of Indie games to release during those first few months, stuff to keep us busy with the few 1st party that will be out until that all important 3rd party November month. Releasing in Sept. would also allow them 2-3 months to get fresh inventory on the shelves for the holiday.

Lastly, to further adhere to my initial logic, of Sony trying to break the mold a little, and shake things up, who's to say they don't do something no console has ever done, release in Aug/Sept.

Well there's no way to predict a "break from the mold" so I'll leave that alone.  If you have a gut feeling great but there are a lot of gut feelings for every month from August-November from a lot of people so I can't discourage or encourage it.  I think early October would be best because they wouldn't miss the release of most of the big 3rd party releases (COD releases Nov 5 so if MS released after that it and Sony before it would really hurt MS I think).  Earlier is always better but I just don't think they would be ready by August.  Perhaps September just because of a PC architecture and no new drives or CPUs that could have production issues.  They do have custom chips and the whole GDDR5 for the whole system thing to worry about though.  I agree they should push indies as gap fillers and of course all the indies that would normally just come to PS3 could release simultaneaously.

What I think is the best feasable strategy for Sony is this

-release in October before most AAA releases

-release at $400 (Eye, headset, 3 months of +, 500gb HDD) and $500 (KZ Shadowfall, Eye, headset, 3 months of +, 1tb HDD)

-don't release Infamous or Driveclub during the holidays.  Let KZ shine as your big exclusive draw building its audience with the launch of your new platform.  Let Driveclub avoid GT6 because it WILL be compared no matter how unfair that is.  Infamous isn't a big enough franchise to be noticed alongside the releases of COD, AC, KZ, Watch Dogs, and such.  Let it come out in Feb-May along with Driveclub.  These 2 will get much more of a spotlight and keep your platform from having a WiiU or Vita like drought after launch.  I love Infamous and it's actually the title I'm most excited about.  I would buy it at launch but I just think it's better for them to release in their own window.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers