By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Avalanche: Microsoft's cloud power advertising "is misleading at best"

Slimebeast said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Slimebeast said:

Didn't these same guys say that cloud processing was very useful for them with their open world games?

Studio head Christofer Sundberg:

"It's perfect for open-world games like ours as it enables techniques to make the game worlds more alive and social, such as persistence and asynchronous multiplayer features," he continued. "We are already using server-side computations in our PC hunting game theHunter, so that's nothing new for us as a concept. But Microsoft's solution may allow us to do this more efficiently and to a greater [extent]."

Xbox One's architecture is said to allow developers to off-load non-latency sensitive processes to the cloud, freeing up system resources on the console.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/just_cause_2/news/xbox_one_cloud_is_one_area_console_has_advantage_over_ps4_says_avalanche_tech_lead.html

It's funny that they first come out and promote the tech themselves and now all of a sudden are bashing how Microsoft is promoting it. Make up your minds already.

Well, they are 2 different individuals. One is head of the studio and one is CTO. Still strange though.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Yeah well I heard you can download more ram on the Xbone through the cloud.

NobleTeam360 said:
Oh wait what happened to people saying MS paid them to say positive things about Xbox One?

the check didnt clear

That is very bizarre, ok it's two different people... but from the same company.... the sudden turn around is weird.

I wonder if something has happened in the last week to change their minds? or at least be less PR'y about it.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Yeah I've been thinking about this for a while now.
Maybe in 5 years we would be able to see the advantages of this but not now.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

well, they are actually saying the same thing - the cloud can be used for background tasks like crowd-npc AI, but it won't (directly) provide visual fidelity

if you're considering a game with an offline campaign like Halo then nothing of the game like AI can ever take the cloud as a tool to use, simply because those with shit internet who just connect their Xbox once per day before using it so it will actually work will then disconnect to play their single player games, What do people think? those playing through a single player campaign offline will have enemy's without AI or backgrounds missing from their games since they are only going to be run from the cloud? The console might as well have "Blast Processing" across the hood of it like the megadrive for all the difference that Cloud will make to real in game features.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
if you're considering a game with an offline campaign like Halo then nothing of the game like AI can ever take the cloud as a tool to use, simply because those with shit internet who just connect their Xbox once per day before using it so it will actually work will then disconnect to play their single player games, What do people think? those playing through a single player campaign offline will have enemy's without AI or backgrounds missing from their games since they are only going to be run from the cloud? The console might as well have "Blast Processing" across the hood of it like the megadrive for all the difference that Cloud will make to real in game features.

Yea, AI integral to the gameplay shouldn't be offloaded to external servers.

Crowd-AI, like normal people in GTA-like titles, on the other hands could be made way more diverse/individual with that external processing. Yet, I think in a bubble around the player that would need to be handled locally again, so I'm not sure how much players would actually see from the additional processing that went into the npcs.

its a marketing gimmick!!!

mabey they could use it for persistant online game worlds like add in multiplayer stuff and social features or advertising billboards i dunno

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Lafiel said:
ganoncrotch said:

Yea, AI integral to the gameplay shouldn't be offloaded to external servers.

Crowd-AI, like normal people in GTA-like titles, on the other hands could be made way more diverse/individual with that external processing. Yet, I think in a bubble around the player that would need to be handled locally again, so I'm not sure how much players would actually see from the additional processing that went into the npcs.

Hah, online connection of gta will be like playing during the day where everyone acts like humans and if you take out the net connection it rolls over to the undead nightmare AI where the town fills with Zombies?. It's just gonna be one of those things where they'll show one example of it being used in a tech demo at E3, I dunno something where there is a fighting game going on in the street, and if you're connected to the cloud then the screens in shops in the background will all display live tv streaming from the cloud or adverts for stuff being shown on billboards. I really can't imagine anything which would ever impact actual gameplay or like I said in a game like halo it won't be anything at all since they'll have to program the game around the fact that not everyone will have access to the cloud.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive