By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA: PS3 to outsell 360 next year, Wii still on top

From Gamer.tm:

Electronic Arts has predicted that the Wii will remain the dominant platform in the West in 2008, but that the PS3 will enjoy better sales than the 360.

According to sales predictions issued by EA, the Wii will continue to dominate hardware sales in both North America and Europe, predicting that Nintendo’s console will sell between 12 and 14 million units during 2008.

However, the race for second place looks like it will be an interesting one, with the PS3 predicted to sell between 9.5 and 11.5 million units in the West this year, whereas the 360 will “only” manage 6-8 million during the same timeframe.

It seems that this shift in fortunes is going to be down to Europe. According to EA’s predictions, 5-6 million PS3s will be sold in Europe this year, compared to 6.5-7.5 million Wiis and 1.5-2.5 million 360s.

In North America, EA reckons the both the 360 and PS3 will sell around 4.5-5.5 million units each, while the Wii will sell around a million more.

More importantly, with EA forecasting that only 3.9-4.9 million PS2s will be sold this year in the West – noticeably less than the next-gen formats – it seems that the games market is well on its way to moving on from the last generation of console.

Thanks to Gamefront.de for the heads up.

Overall I agree with their assessment, however, I think that they are really low balling the Wii. It will sell at least 20 mil. this year, if not much more. As for the ps3 and 360, I think that they are being quite a bit pessimistic about the 360 in Europe.

Around the Network

Okay, that last paragraph should not be included in the quote. When I go to edit the post, it shows the last paragraph after my "[/quote]", yet it still includes it in the quote.

This is the paragraph to which I am referring, and it is my own, and not from the article:

Overall I agree with their assessment, however, I think that they are really low balling the Wii. It will sell at least 20 mil. this year, if not much more. As for the ps3 and 360, I think that they are being quite a bit pessimistic about the 360 in Europe.

I think what they're saying is possible, but I highly disagree with their American sales figures--they are assuming that PS3 is just as popular in America as the 360, which just isn't true. Europe I understand, though I think the 360 will sell between 2.5-3 million there. Also, it's likely that the Arcade will reach the mass market price of $200 around when GTA4 hits, so who knows?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

PS3 outsell 360 next year?

They mean in US?

Because PS3 is already outselling 360 WW right now.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
thekitchensink said:
I think what they're saying is possible, but I highly disagree with their American sales figures--they are assuming that PS3 is just as popular in America as the 360, which just isn't true. Europe I understand, though I think the 360 will sell between 2.5-3 million there. Also, it's likely that the Arcade will reach the mass market price of $200 around when GTA4 hits, so who knows?

I agree with their American estimates, though I definitely think that the ps3 will be on the low end of the 4.5-5.5 mil., with the 360 on the very high end. The ps3 has enough big exclusives over the year to close the gap somewhat, imo.

Around the Network

I think they overestimate the PS3 modestly, underestimate the 360 quite a bit, and underestimate the Wii modestly. 

The most important thing: the PS3 will not sell as much as the 360 in America this year. It's very unlikely, at least. America has already made its choices, I think. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

EA are going further though, they are expecting the PS3 to sweep the 360 aside in Europe and if all the PS3 games come out as planned that is exactly what Sony are going to do. Completely annihilate the 360 in Europe.

Lightning08 said:
EA are going further though, they are expecting the PS3 to sweep the 360 aside in Europe and if all the PS3 games come out as planned that is exactly what Sony are going to do. Completely annihilate the 360 in Europe.

Outside of the UK. Wheras the PS2 demolished the Xbox in the EU, I don't think the PS3's marketshare in Europe could ever be as strong simply because the UK is the largest market in the EU and its 360-heavy.

I expect perhaps 60/40 sales in favor of the PS3 or perhaps 66/33. We'll see, though.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Very conservative prediction. Wii can reach more. Microsoft could pull some stunt to reverse the trend, then it happens it will near to the release of GTA4 I think. Pricedrop I think. We will see if Sony follows and if t have enough effect.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

EA better put more effort into their ps3 ports, since they think it will outsell the 360 so much this year.