By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NSMB2 (6.02M) vs SM3DLand (8.43M)

Which one will sell most?

NSMB2 24 37.50%

SM3DLand 21 32.81%

Animal crossing 19 29.69%

Total:64

What's the sales for Mario 3D Land vs New Super Mario Bros. 2 at this point in time?

Around the Network

You guys really think SM3DL and ACNL have a shot against NSMB2?

No chance, NSMB2 will take the crown. It was declared doomed back when it released it has to sit on top of the doomed handheld.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

At the same point SM3DL was like 7m so bit batter

It will be closer than what many people think.

Based on vgchartz data.

New Super Mario Bros on the DS is tracking way ahead of the 3DS version. Nearly double. And it was selling 60k-100kweekly during its first May, while NSMB2 is only selling 25k-33k. So within a few months the DS version should double it on an alligned chart. I do not think that the 3ds version will get anywhere near the ds version in sales. Heck if the pattern continues NSMB2 won't even reach 15mil.

3d land on the other hand is doing twice as well as Super Mario 64 which ended up selling 10mil. This May it has been selling 15-20k. Super Mario 64 was selling 12-15k on its second year May. It was at 3.6mil at that point. So even if 3dland slows down to Mario 64 pace, it will reach 14.8mil.

Basically if we assume vgchartz past numbers are correct, 3DLand could end up with nearly identical lifetime sales as NSMB2 if the games follow the same pattern as their most similar DS predessesors.

On an alligned bases between just the two games, 3d land was holding steady at 30-33k throughout the Summer last year, slightly ahead of current weekly NSMB2 sales and 500k ahead in lifetime sales.

Based on my opinion

Another thing to consider is bundling. I personally think Super Mario 3d land is more likely to continue being bundled. It is a better showcase than NSMB2 of the main difference between the DS and the 3DS which is the 3d screen. If nintendo decides to heavily bundle NSMB2 instead, it will end up easily passing 3d land. Also if nintendo decides to release a sequel to 3dland on the 3ds than NSMB2 should end up outselling it as well.

NSMB2 is selling quite well digitally from what I've read. So it could be the digital sales that skew vgchartz data to favor 3Dland.

RolStoppable said:
RCTjunkie said:
I didn't realize they sold so much.

I hope Super Mario 3D land keeps its lead and sends a message to Nintendo that it's okay to take risk and combine 2D & 3D together.

I hope that NSMB2 sends a message to Nintendo that their biggest game should be treated by them like their biggest game.

On topic: NSMB2 will most likely be the bestselling 3DS game, period. The only serious contender is Mario Kart 7, everything else will be left in the dust.

Most likely, but I think Pokemon X/Y have a chance of being up there as well.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network
enrageorange said:

It will be closer than what many people think.

Based on vgchartz data.

New Super Mario Bros on the DS is tracking way ahead of the 3DS version. Nearly double. And it was selling 60k-100kweekly during its first May, while NSMB2 is only selling 25k-33k. So within a few months the DS version should double it on an alligned chart. I do not think that the 3ds version will get anywhere near the ds version in sales. Heck if the pattern continues NSMB2 won't even reach 15mil.

3d land on the other hand is doing twice as well as Super Mario 64 which ended up selling 10mil. This May it has been selling 15-20k. Super Mario 64 was selling 12-15k on its second year May. It was at 3.6mil at that point. So even if 3dland slows down to Mario 64 pace, it will reach 14.8mil.

Basically if we assume vgchartz past numbers are correct, 3DLand could end up with nearly identical lifetime sales as NSMB2 if the games follow the same pattern as their most similar DS predessesors.

On an alligned bases between just the two games, 3d land was holding steady at 30-33k throughout the Summer last year, slightly ahead of current weekly NSMB2 sales and 500k ahead in lifetime sales.

Based on my opinion

Another thing to consider is bundling. I personally think Super Mario 3d land is more likely to continue being bundled. It is a better showcase than NSMB2 of the main difference between the DS and the 3DS which is the 3d screen. If nintendo decides to heavily bundle NSMB2 instead, it will end up easily passing 3d land. Also if nintendo decides to release a sequel to 3dland on the 3ds than NSMB2 should end up outselling it as well.

NSMB2 is selling quite well digitally from what I've read. So it could be the digital sales that skew vgchartz data to favor 3Dland.

exactly, it will be closer than most people think i think 3DLand can be the best selling 3D Mario, which is quite a feat!