By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Eye may not be bundled with every PS4. Sold separately

Nem said:

Great move Sony. You're on the right track.

They might actually be able to compete with microsoft in price while having a more powerful system.

This the the thrid Move Perephiel...when is sony going to cut there losses

Around the Network

If they don't care about developers actually making games that utilize the camera and the camera possibly/probably falling into obscurity, then this is a great idea. If they want it to matter at all in the end, however, it will be packed in with the console.

yay!

PS4 will have PSEYE on every box, you can quote me on that. PSEYE was shown in the reveal and it is an important part of the PS4.
PS4 should be versatile, flexible and should cater to all kinds of gamers in order to be successful and I am pretty sure Sony know this.

I like motion gaming and I know there will be developers that will be able to create games that will core gamers would love.

Wow, I thought that PSMove was so successful, that over 90% of PS3 owners already had the camera... Huh...
j/k

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network

Wouldn't make sense to include it anyway. Sony will continue to push PS Move from the looks of things. They can't bundle both the camera and the Move. It would drive up costs too much.

Besides, the casual market motion controls are aimed at won't spend $500 on a PS4 just to play Just Dance 5.

kowenicki said:
Good way to render it useless. If devs can't rely on it always being there then they wont support it much.

Seems odd given the dual shock integration.

No idea how this can be perceived as a good plan.

because having kinect as a peripheral worked out that way?

Carl2291 said:
Machiavellian said:

If you are using the PS2 and 3 as an example then what you just stated is that there will be no support.  Why buy the bundle for the move if it fractures the gaming landscape on the PS4. Sometimes choice is not a good thing if you want support for a device.  If Sony isn't making any real effort to support their device why would 3rd party devs.

There may be minimal support, but I really dont think Sony care that much as long as there is support and people buy it.

I mean, Eye Toy was a success. PS Eye and PS Move are a success. While Eye Toy didnt really have support, the support for PS Move and PS Eye hasnt been nearly as bad.

Where PS4 Eye will be different to Eye Toy and PS Eye, is that it will be available from launch (And will probably have an SKU at launch too). While Eye Toy and PS Eye were released sometime into the platforms life and managed to do 10 Million units, PS4 Eye will be there from the start and will likely push over 20 Million units, providing PS4 has lifetime numbers anything like every other PS home console.

kowenicki said:

Worked well? Worked well in making the peripheral a failure you mean? 

Eye Toy sold over 10 Million units.

PS Move sold over 15 Million units too, which requires PS Eye... And the device has what, 120 games supported?

Can you explain how Eye Toy, PS Eye and Move have been failures?

They are failures because you have out of hundreds of games you have about 10 that support the move (I believe I am being generous).  I do not even see anything about the move from Sony anymore just like you did not see anything about the Eye Toy after a very brief stint of sales.  The key would be why would anyone go down that route again if support will be so mininal.  You already have 2 generations that show that Sony only interested in a device for a very brief point in time then they forget about it.  If Sony isn't serious about the PSeye then why should developers be serious about developing for it or gamers in purchasing the device. 

So could the rumors of a $349 sku be possible?

Maybe just the console-$349

With PS Eye, headset, bigger HDD, 1 month of premium online service-$449

While Xbox One has only one sku at $399

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

That's great news. I wouldn't want to eat up the cost of the camera. Whoever wants to play Just Dance 5, let them buy it separately.