By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What types of curveballs does Nintendo need to throw at Sony and Microsoft to minimize any damage felt by their new console launches? Were you right?

burninmylight said:
sethnintendo said:

I hope for a price cut so I can partake in an ambassador program! I missed out on the 3DS one...

Also, like everyone else has said already they just need to release more games.

First off, welcome back!

Second, that's exactly what I'm hoping for... Three free GC games + five free N64 games and I'm golden.

Thanks for welcome back.  I'm going to try and contain myself from now on.  Sometimes I let things said get to me when I should brush them aside.  I'm going to ignore any future hate because it isn't worth the time. 

So you think there will be GC games for ambassador program?  That would be cool.  However, I would probably have to buy a 80-100 dollar external hard drive.  Not sure how much space is left on my 32 GB.  Although GC games were only ~1.5 GB in size.  Amazing how in the past such awesome games fit on such small file sizes.  I suppose Nintendo does release some pretty awesome 3DS gems that aren't that big in file size.  It isn't the GBs that matters.  It is the gameplay!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
To minimize the damage? The Wii U is selling barely anything since months, so any possible damage is already minimized due to not much being there that could be damaged.

What Nintendo is going to do (or should do) is release at least one game per month for the rest of the year, starting in June with Game & Wario. There's likely going to be a $/€50 price cut in September or October and at least one of the following two titles will be positioned as the big holiday title: Super Mario 3D or Mario Kart. Maybe both will release this year.

There's not going to be anything special or unexpected from Nintendo this year, but it's not like Sony and Microsoft will come out with all guns blazing. Expensive consoles, last gen third party games, second and third tier first party games. Microsoft won't have Halo 5 ready anytime soon, Sony is releasing Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3.

The more important thing to watch is if Nintendo will have a proper release schedule for the first half of 2014, right during the time when the PS4 and Xbox One will go through their inevitable post-launch struggles. Don't get your hopes up.

Has Nintendo done anything in the vein of a "game release every month" ever? That sounds like something that would work well and would surely minimize the game-droughts, but if Nintendo doesn't have a stock-pile of games that would release over those months, I don't see how they could do it.

@OP: Nintendo needs to hope that Sony and MS thought that their 2012 Conference was pure gold and that they are going to implement that "strategy" for this year's E3. (Anything Nintendo does will be a plus seeing as how we have basically nothing right now.)

Presenting the Nintenphone.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Maybe it won't be enough to succeed, but a good start for Wii U is that it must NOT compete directly with PS4 and XBone, it must be DIFFERENT and Ninty needs to be self-confident about this, like it was with Wii before losing its mind and letting it die far too early.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

To compete with Sony and MS, all they need is some good new exclusive games. They will presumably have a price advantage and Nintendo has strong brand value so they should do "OK" regardless.

Now, if they want to steal the e3 thunder and have more buzz than the new systems heading into the big shopping season, they need to do some or all of the following:

-Release 2 groundbreaking "core" titles this fall. i.e. Mario 3D and X, or a great shooter/adventure by Retro. They need to be outstanding visually, and provide either innovation or excellent execution. They need to be cooler and more fun than what is available elsewhere, and hopefully be at least in the same graphical ball park from a typical user's perspective with games like Shadowfall. WindWaker HD will be a nice complement to these titles, but Wii U needs some totally new experiences.
-Release 2 interesting "casual" titles. i.e. Wii Sports 3 and Wii Fit U, or better. These need to present something new and fresh when contrasted with their predecessors, or possibly be an all new ip. Not just in a gameplay way, but in a mainstream fun new gadget kind of way. They need to capture imagination, and should have a good mainstream name like Wii Sports, not like "Nintendoland". Nintendo should have its top software people trying to come up with the next Angry Birds or Brain Age. Something that would make for some great word of mouth. It should be a touch-screen accessible game. It could possibly pair with something on 3DS.
-Price drop. People love pricedrops and they get a lot of attention. Wii U needs to be at least $100 cheaper than its competitors.
-3rd party megabombs. They could be exclusive - like Bayonetta 2 - or not - like GTA5 - but the more shocking the better. GTA would be ideal because its a game people like to write about in the mainstream press. Controversal GTA going to family-friendly Nintendo would make people take notice, and politicians want to ban Wii U imports. Great press.
-Solid other 3rd party support. If titles like COD, AC, Batman, Metal Gear, FF, Watch_Dogs and Destiny are all available on Wii U, consumers may take a "why bother" approach to the more expensive systems, fizzleing their debuts.
-Much, much better marketing. They need i-device style marketing which presents the Wii U as a stylish, trendy, innovative device that can do anything, something that appeals to casuals and core gamers alike. Clips of people video chatting, using touch to shoot ninja stars, playing COD, you name it. But no dubstep.
-As part of marketing, Nintendo needs to promote that it truly has a solid online and eshop system now. It should also promote not just a low system price, but also free online and hassle-free used games and lending of games. Especially if Sony follows any of MS's leads in this regard. I would do a simple, informative commercial outlining the hundreds that people would spend on Live that they don't have to if they want to play COD:Ghosts on Wii U. Promote the system as "old school", where Nintendo is a "gamers' company", where it isn't all about gouging consumers for every dollar but just about playing the games.

Around the Network

Right now WiiU is only appealing to Nintendo fans and they don't need to do anything beyond what they are already doing to win that crowd.

There is no way in heck WiiU is going to prevent any 'core' gamer from getting a PS4/XBOne so that's a lost cause.

Nintendo is already releasing Wii Fit U and Wii Party U for casuals. Sony doesn't seem interested in that market so that's doing nothing to 'counter' PS4, it could somewhat counter XBOne for that audience. Maybe. But I doubt it. Really that audience is on mobile devices now and I don't see them coming back. Not for those games anyway.

they need..... USHER!

spurgeonryan said:
keroncoward said:
Minimize damage? LOL Smash Brothers, Mario, Mario Kart are possibly coming this year. Other consoles have used game fees and will most likely be more expensive with subscription fees for the best experience on them. That question should be directed towards Sony and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft need to convince me why i should choose them over the other for my second console this generation.

Well you seem to have been right!

many were wrong about price cut

and Alky was wrong about Usher.

Yeah i knew the reduced prices with subscription fees were coming. I also still think Sony will get used game restriction on it. There is absolutely no reason for third party devs to restrict games on Xbox One and leave it out from PS4 when they are being given the freedom to do so. Im getting PS4 for my 2nd console for sure but im still not sure i want subscription fees for online multiplayer. Might get it for a year to see how it goes.