By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What types of curveballs does Nintendo need to throw at Sony and Microsoft to minimize any damage felt by their new console launches? Were you right?

TGM said:
After seeing the X-bone unavailing, its all but certain that ps4 will follow in the way of the X-Bone in regards to being a MEDIA system first and a game console 2nd. This means Nintendo will truly be the last company (of the 3) that has its main focus on GAMES. This alone will make them more favorable in the public/gaming media eye. So really, the Big N needs to do NOTHING (sony/ms are killing themselves) except get those heavy hitter games (zelda/pokemon/smash/metroid/dk...ect) out there but in HD this time. None of this "one good game every 4 months" bull crap.

To be fair Wii U is also a multimedia system and no doubt in my mind PS4 will go that route eventually despite all the PR nonsense. Nintendo TVii already seems to do what Xbox One is doing at a cheaper price and better so Microsoft needs to show something spectacular at E3. Wii U already also does most of what the PS4 shown concerning social networking and sharing content through miiverse and the gamepad's home button. I also remember a leaked document from the company that provides the video chat on the Wii U and it revealed some interesting features that are set to release in a future update.

Around the Network

One major difference. WiiU's focus is games (assuming it gets them lol). Ps4/X-bone is MEDIA. The casuals/mainstream will NOT get the ps4/x-bone because of media.....because most mainstream/casuals already have devices that do all that media crap.

TV and Sports, thats enough for us GAMERS, well thats what MS has told us anyways.
jk
jk
but really they need games and not 1st party stuff i am talkin about 3rd party exclusives, i mean nintendo have the means and money to do it but i dont see it happenin.

I can see them releasing 3D Mario in October to coincide with a $50 price cut, and then the release of Mario Kart 8 in November or early December.

And the releases of Pikmin 3, NSL U, The Wonderful 101, Game & Wario, Wii Fit U and Wind Waker HD between now and October combined with Nintendo actually advertising the thing for once will regain some of the sales momentum that the Wii U had during its successful launch.

And then you've got Bayonetta 2, Retro's new title, X, Wii Sports U and whatever surprises they announce at this year's E3 all released between New Years Day and E3 to keep sales momentum going.

The Wii U isn't going to have any problems selling. I'm more concerned about the sales of the PS4 and One tbh. I can see both of those retailing for over $400, my guesstimate would be $449.99 or $499.99 meaning that the Basic model of the Wii U (assuming that price cut) is going to be at least $200 cheaper. You've then got to take into account that both the PS4 and One are going to be supply constrained at launch and have their own inevitable software droughts next year.

Wii u will be fine but there is two things they could do 1- advertise better maybe a cod ad to show you can play the game while on the crapper lets see xbox1 and ps4 do that 2- spend the cash and get one game on the console gta5 that one game will get the casual to see that 3rd party is on board!!! gta/cod/madden- are the casual crowd cause thats all they buy and play there not hardcore so show them gta and cod are on board and there sold!

Around the Network

price drop to 249$ + big first party game

They need to release their big titles a few weeks before ps4 and xbone launch. They will also have to heavily advertise them so that the casuals will know they exist and can buy a wiiu. This way most people will be too busy with the wiiu to get a ps4 or xbone at launch. A price drop would also help.

I hope for a price cut so I can partake in an ambassador program! I missed out on the 3DS one...

Also, like everyone else has said already they just need to release more games.

sethnintendo said:

I hope for a price cut so I can partake in an ambassador program! I missed out on the 3DS one...

Also, like everyone else has said already they just need to release more games.

First off, welcome back!

Second, that's exactly what I'm hoping for... Three free GC games + five free N64 games and I'm golden.

I personally just need to see a few more titles before I purchase a Wii U. I plan to have the console before Bayonetta 2 comes out, but if I see a bunch of interesting titles at E3, I may take the plunge sooner. For me, that's all Nintendo really needs to do.