By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony officially states that PlayStation 4 will not have DRM against used games

AgentZorn said:

Well it's agood thing that Sony won't block used games but 3rd party publishers probably will.

Yeah its lookin like Sony MS arent goin to be the bad guys in this situation, it's the publishers, but then again when have the publishers ever been the good guys?

Around the Network

Since the DRM requirement is through third party publishers through online pass, but rather a new game pass this time around. I'll just wait until each game is clarified whether it has a used game pass or not.

If it has a new/used game pass that's required. Then I won't get the game. Why would I when it's pretty much worthless when the console is dead? Atleast it's better than the Xbox One. Once developers stop getting sales by implementing this, then they won't implement it. There are other developers who probably wouldn't implement it anyways.  I'll get it for Steam a lot earlier for $10 on a sale.

gigantor21 said:
Otakumegane said:
HesAPooka said:
Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, wich makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

It's no different than how it works on current gen consoles, which are entirely capable of DRM authentication through their networks. I'm sure that the same can be done on the WiiU as well.

This is all I wanted to hear. If the price and launch games are right, I'll be more than willing to get a PS4 now. :)

lol yeah.....

Looking promising however I would still like to see a Sony official up on stage at E3 say it.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

gigantor21 said:
Otakumegane said:
HesAPooka said:
Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, wich makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

It's no different than how it works on current gen consoles, which are entirely capable of DRM authentication through their networks. I'm sure that the same can be done on the WiiU as well.

This is all I wanted to hear. If the price and launch games are right, I'll be more than willing to get a PS4 now. :)

They are going to be more severe now though. 

Also if we go by that all games (outside of Sony's first party and indie games) do this DRM, that means that at least 90% of the console's library will be tied to some kind of pay-wall. This is unlikely though since I doubt every 3rd party publishers is going to do it, but as a company they are greedy, and if they see more profits from companies like EA and Activision (that will most likely going to use DRM) then the others will follow suit.

Either way this is going to be a really interesting gen, and for the worse imo. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
gigantor21 said:

Remember that patent that everyone said Sony would never implement?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games-6401992

My guess is that this is how it's going to work.

Let the Publishers take the heat.

Kick the can down the road, sounds like Politics.

Wonder if used games really will be behind a paywall,like LIVE.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

For third parties to do this, they will have to put infrastructure in place.

Microsoft is doing all the work with the XB1. So third parities don't have to do anything.
And since EA just made a big deal about ending on-line passes, it will be made to look like the "bad guy" if it tries something else (as will any publisher).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Ssenkahdavic said:
Let the Publishers take the heat.

Kick the can down the road, sounds like Politics.

Well, the console manufacturer won't get anything good for it, so if there's pressure from third party publishers, why wouldn't they get the backlash themselves ?