By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony officially states that PlayStation 4 will not have DRM against used games

As I said...Sony is more gamercentric than Microsoft whom is bringing a major corporate lockdown streak to gaming. People who are Microsoft centric want them to be as bad as Microsoft so they can justify and rationalize MS pro-corporate decisions and even if they did screw up, Sony would smarten up to what gamers want. They did it with the PS3 and they continue to follow in the tradition. Sony confirmed since February that DRM wouldn't be included in the console.

Around the Network

My pledge on DRM:

I will buy most of my DRM-free games new (but probably not at launch price). But I won't buy DRM-free games unless I actually want the game. By not implementing DRM I'm assuming the publisher supports the used game market and thus there isn't any sense of betrayal if I buy some used games. I will only buy used games if the data shows the game has likely had profitable sales. When I buy a DRM-free game, even though I won't buy at launch price unless it's a must have game, I will buy at a price that is > 1/2 the launch price.

I won't buy DRM games that I would probably like, which I probably would buy if the game was DRM-free . I will buy DRM games that I know I will love. But I won't buy any DRM games until they are at least 1/2 the launch price. Depending on how much DRM costs I might buy some DRM games used.

As I rarely play multiplayer, if a game has multiplayer online pass only I will put that game into the DRM-free category, but it's also likely to be a game I buy used.

If almost every publisher implements DRM then it will be a very slow start to the generation for me. But I'm OK with that, PS3 will see me right for quite a while.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Otakumegane said:
HesAPooka said:
Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, which makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

Sony said back in Februrary they hadn't even thought of DRM in the console. If EA and Activision put a paywall on their games, then thats only two publishers it is in no way as bad as what the Xboxone will be forcing upon people

Since this is sony we are talking about that also try to fool everyone with stuff like "this footage is directly captured from a PS3 system" (which basically means this is running a bluray with prerendered footage) .... I guess that means they will highly recommend instead of require the DRM stuff and since they talk about initial establishment of the console this means they are going to add this within the first 2 years.

Third party is who pushes this crap and Sony lets the third party decide so its the same shit as with Xb1....

They also never said that used games wont be blocked with a future update!

I hate that companies say everything completely mysterious and are so vague. Say NOT WITH PS4 this is simple "3" words instead of some strange PR blahblah. What about being direct? You know like "attack its weak spot for massive damage" simple yet totally understandable!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Otakumegane said:

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, which makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

Sony said back in Februrary they hadn't even thought of DRM in the console. If EA and Activision put a paywall on their games, then thats only two publishers it is in no way as bad as what the Xboxone will be forcing upon people

It's not like they suddenly decided to let the publishers do this, they had this in works for a time. This is an outright lie.

And before the Xbone conference mind you. Now theycan annouce that they have DRM in some form because the goalposts have been moved. "Oh at least it's not system-wide" Sony fans say.

Imagine the crap they would have gotten if they annouced this before Xbone reveal. Now it's suddenly acceptable?

Same stuff. This is Sony supporting publisher's decisions to go this route and I ain't havingno part in it. I'll enjoy my PS3, but I'm staying the hell away from this.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
Since this is sony we are talking about that also try to fool everyone with stuff like "this footage is directly captured from a PS3 system" (which basically means this is running a bluray with prerendered footage) .... I guess that means they will highly recommend instead of require the DRM stuff and since they talk about initial establishment of the console this means they are going to add this within the first 2 years.

Third party is who pushes this crap and Sony lets the third party decide so its the same shit as with Xb1....

They also never said that used games wont be blocked with a future update!

I hate that companies say everything completely mysterious and are so vague. Say NOT WITH PS4 this is simple "3" words instead of some strange PR blahblah. What about being direct? You know like "attack its weak spot for massive damage" simple yet totally understandable!

Sony stated long ago after their reveal that they never thought of DRM at all, that was all Microsoft who demands the console be online at least once a day.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

As I said...Sony is more gamercentric than Microsoft whom is bringing a major corporate lockdown streak to gaming.

Online passe...oh, wait.

Wright said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

As I said...Sony is more gamercentric than Microsoft whom is bringing a major corporate lockdown streak to gaming.

Online passe...oh, wait.

Wow..paying ten dollars because I bought a used game to go online! It's going to hurt me so badly! As if the publishers should get nothing for their efforts. I was more than happy to pay for online passes. An online authentications, single account lockdowns, paywall is going to make things ten times worse and make social gaming less fun.

Muffin31190 said:
AgentZorn said:

Well it's agood thing that Sony won't block used games but 3rd party publishers probably will.

Yeah its lookin like Sony MS arent goin to be the bad guys in this situation, it's the publishers, but then again when have the publishers ever been the good guys?

Sony and MS are not in the same boat here

The MS DRM thingy makes Sony's look like a rookie

This could be good, it could be bad. If you are a dev, and you have the option to develop a game for a console where you get money every time somebody goes to sell used games, as apposed to getting no money every time somebody sells used games, which console are you going to develop more games for?

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!