By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is The Last of Us gaming's Citizen Kane?

Augen said:
I think the question is if games have had their "Birth of a Nation" equivalent from a technical perspective before we discuss a "Citizen Kane".

I would say we've reached "Birth of a Nation," certainly. With what game, that could be an interesting debate, depending on how you want to define the landmark film that is unfortunately so racist as to discredit itself to modern viewers

If we're talking about a game that broke down old conventions and stood up to a new level, while still being embarrassing for the industry on a few fronts on down the line, probably either Super Mario 64 or Grand Theft Auto III.

A Citizen Kane equivalent would be a game that re-invents everything again, and is essentially a mainstream inspiration that impacts the whole of culture.

Frankly i'm not sure if gaming will ever get there, the way things are headed.

Either way, The Last of Us seems to borrow a few motifs from several sources and simply refine them: Take the Walking Dead's plot, bolt on a bit of Left 4 Dead, new Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil.

Not to denigrate the game at all, of course, because strong execution is what really makes Naughty Dog's works shine moreso than their inventiveness (similar to Nintendo in a way, except that Naughty Dog prioritizes differently), so you're not going to get something that is both bold, totally brand-new, and yet also high-gloss and mainstream.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

A boring movie with no action? no, no it's not.

I certainly hope not. I watched the movie and I found it to be booooring as hell!! I don't why it gets so many praise from everybody.

But maybe the fact that I watched it when I was young is the main reason why I didn't like it.

No, cause we already had lot of Battleship Potemkin, Birth of a Nation and Citizen Kane equivalent games in gaming history - we just need to stop comparing games to film, and it will be actually quite easy to pinpoint those games that made massive influences comparable to what those films did in their field.

Mr Khan said:
Augen said:
I think the question is if games have had their "Birth of a Nation" equivalent from a technical perspective before we discuss a "Citizen Kane".

I would say we've reached "Birth of a Nation," certainly. With what game, that could be an interesting debate, depending on how you want to define the landmark film that is unfortunately so racist as to discredit itself to modern viewers

If we're talking about a game that broke down old conventions and stood up to a new level, while still being embarrassing for the industry on a few fronts on down the line, probably either Super Mario 64 or Grand Theft Auto III.

A Citizen Kane equivalent would be a game that re-invents everything again, and is essentially a mainstream inspiration that impacts the whole of culture.

Either way, The Last of Us seems to borrow a few motifs from several sources and simply refine them: Take the Walking Dead's plot, bolt on a bit of Left 4 Dead, new Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil.

Not to denigrate the game at all, of course, because strong execution is what really makes Naughty Dog's works shine moreso than their inventiveness (similar to Nintendo in a way, except that Naughty Dog prioritizes differently), so you're not going to get something that is both bold, totally brand-new, and yet also high-gloss and mainstream.

It may be argued that any new media would struggle to have similar breakthrough because it would start inherently on the shoulders of other mediums.  

I mean, film is a rich medium, yet we still discuss a 60+ year film as the last time that indsutry was redefined.  I'm not sure we need a "Citizen Kane" game as would we be lesser for having a "Taxi Driver" or "Shindler's List" game?  This all feels like an industry that needs validation and looks to its counter part to say "See! We've arrived, we're all grown up now!" rather than doing what it does and being content with the strengths within it.  To me the goal is for the medium to be diverse so that "Fast and Furious 6" game can exist next to "Tree of Life" game or, better yet, games that have no film equivalent and stand on their own.

Around the Network

I think minesweeper already took that title.

Augen said:
Mr Khan said:
Augen said:

It may be argued that any new media would struggle to have similar breakthrough because it would start inherently on the shoulders of other mediums.  

I mean, film is a rich medium, yet we still discuss a 60+ year film as the last time that indsutry was redefined.  I'm not sure we need a "Citizen Kane" game as would we be lesser for having a "Taxi Driver" or "Shindler's List" game?  This all feels like an industry that needs validation and looks to its counter part to say "See! We've arrived, we're all grown up now!" rather than doing what it does and being content with the strengths within it.  To me the goal is for the medium to be diverse so that "Fast and Furious 6" game can exist next to "Tree of Life" game or, better yet, games that have no film equivalent and stand on their own.

Also a valid point, similar to HoloDust's comment.

The real key is that the medium is not quite that diverse yet, largely because we're still too narrowly focused in the matter of what can be given the "full-scale-game" treatment.

As i once noted, Quantic Dream has something of the right idea, though i'd dearly wish they were more gameplay-oriented.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Deyon said:

I certainly hope not. I watched the movie and I found it to be booooring as hell!! I don't why it gets so many praise from everybody.

But maybe the fact that I watched it when I was young is the main reason why I didn't like it.

Because it revolutionised the industry.

It is basically the movie that every movie you will watch this Year is directly inspired by.

And this is about as stupid as the GTA4 being good enough for an Oscar stuff we heard so many Years back.

UnitSmiley said:
"short but sweet" is exactly how i'd describe it. I really want to play more :/

Is it what they showed at E3?  I'm not playing or watching any media after that because I was sold (hell it's ND I was sold when they announced the game) because I want to look on it with virgin eyes

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers