By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Fun Fact: Assassins Creed (Combined) tracking above SMG

After 11 weeks respectively, Assassins Creed for PS360 is tracking slightly over SMG. 5.3 million (AC) vs 5.15 million (SMG).

IMHO quite interesting. will it continue? I personally doubt it.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

I doubt it as well. But you have to remember that not only was AC created on a platform that is much more costly to develop for, but it needed to be ported to the PS3. All in all, given SMG will keep selling like hotcakes for a year or two, it will be FAR more profitable than AC.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I think its great AC was one of the most beautiful and innovative games out there. I'm sure SMG is a perfectly polished game but it simply is "yet another Mario game" (yamg).
Its nice to see that sometimes new IP wins although this may not last.

"it will be FAR more profitable than AC."

I doubt that. In the 5mio copies region development costs are irrelevant and PS3 and 360 games are 25% more expensive than Wii games. Ubisoft has definitely made more money with AC than Nintendo with SMG and this will last for a while. (And AC for PC sales will also be added)

starcraft said:
I doubt it as well. But you have to remember that not only was AC created on a platform that is much more costly to develop for, but it needed to be ported to the PS3. All in all, given SMG will keep selling like hotcakes for a year or two, it will be FAR more profitable than AC.

How much did AC cost compared to SMG?

For an example someone had noted about the development of Revolution stated that many assumed automaticaly that Wii is cheaper to develop for than PS3 (that is develop the game for 360 to wii) but this isn't always the case when you have to crunch everything to run on less ram.

I'm not saying the most of the time Wii games are not cheaper to developed for but there could be cases when it's not. 

I agree with the "yamg"...

AC is much more deserving of having higher sales than SMG IMO

Around the Network

Well, calling AC "good" while saying SMG is just another Mario game, is kinda...not right.

Mario is gonna have legs as long as the Wii does. We'll see at least 10m units sold during the Wii's lifetime, if not much more, in all likelyhood.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Yeah, that's interesting. It won't last though. At least I think so. But as mentioned, AC cost a lot more to make than SMG, and I assume it costs a lot to produce it on both 360 and Ps3 since they are different formats. I assume it cost at least 3 times as much to make AC...

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Squall_Leonhart said:
I agree with the "yamg"...

AC is much more deserving of having higher sales than SMG IMO

Ugh, are you guys serious? Assassin's Creed? Did you play the same game I did? Have you ever played Super Mario Galaxy? Jesus, man, Assassin's Creed was slightly above average, while SMG was the GotY last year.

I can't disprove your opinion, however, I can tell you this.

Your opinion is in the VAST minority, when it comes to Assassin's Creed vs SMG. 

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I agree that it's (generally) never bad for a new IP to rake in oodles of cash... but SMG is just *so* fun that it deserves twice as much sales as it has already.

Faxanadu said:

After 11 weeks respectively, Assassins Creed for PS360 is tracking slightly over SMG. 5.3 million (AC) vs 5.15 million (SMG).

IMHO quite interesting. will it continue? I personally doubt it.

PS3 and XBox360 together have more sold units, than Wii alone (25m vs. 20m). The game sales follow the same pattern as their platform. No big surprise.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]